The Des Moines Art Center is known for its world-class collection of artwork and magnificent architecture. In addition, the Art Center presents thought-provoking exhibitions, educational programs and hands-on studio art classes.
The Children’s and Family Educator is responsible for developing and providing studio education classes for children and family audiences, actively representing and promoting the Art Center in the community, and maintaining the highest possible quality of educational activities making the connection between the museum and studio.
- Develops and implements children’s and family classes with attention to tailoring classes to changing trends and needs of youth learners
- Teaches children’s classes as needed and provides instruction for St. Augustin 7th and 8th grade art students
- Organizes and implements community-based educational activities and programs that target youth and family audiences at the Art Center and off-site
- On-site staff person responsible for managing Saturday classes during fall and spring terms
- Responsible for studio organization and supply inventory. Purchases art materials and studio supplies. Budgets and tracks spending related to supply purchases. Communicates with support staff regarding studio set-up and usage
- Organizes and curates student exhibitions and receptions; focusing on work created in the Art Center’s studio education classes, and also including West Des Moines Public School’s Impact of Art exhibition and reception
Required Skills and Experience
- Strong knowledge of methods of early childhood art education
- Good knowledge of methods of primary and secondary art education
- Highly creative
- Competent skills in using a variety of art techniques, media, equipment, and materials
- Financial acumen; able to comprehend a budget and exercise good judgment related to department purchases
- Excellent organization and communication skills
- Professionalism in interacting with staff, faculty, students, school administrators and general public
- Strong knowledge of internet applications and Microsoft Office programs--particularly Word, with basic Excel skills
- B.A. or B.F.A. in art education or studio art with art education certification or equivalent experience
- Three years teaching experience preferred
Duties are considered light work. Essential physical requirements include exerting up to 20 lbs of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Reaching, standing, walking, fingering, grasping, communicating orally, seeing clearly, hearing/perceiving sound are required abilities.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work
- Be able to pass criminal background check
Work schedule adheres to normal business hours Tuesday - Saturday during fall and spring semesters; Monday - Friday during summer months. Evening and weekend hours are sometimes required for meetings and events. Work outdoors is required very occasionally.
Starting wage negotiable based on skill and experience
The Children's and Family Educator is a full-time position eligible for benefits including health, dental, life, long-term disability, flexible spending, employee assistance program and 403(b) retirement.
Please include cover letter in the "Message" box when applying