Position: The CNC Specialist supports our Providence based product development and manufacturing business. The specialist participates in programming and operating specialized and general machine shop equipment, supporting prototyping and pilot related activities through all phases of the product development process.
Nature of Role: Reporting directly to the Director of Engineering, the CNC Specialist will take daily direction from his/her Director, Program Managers, and Engineers. The Specialist is responsible for programming, operating and maintaining CNC and general shop equipment, as well as procurement and management of shop materials. The Specialist may also participate in designing, fabricating, and documenting test equipment and fixtures, supporting CAD modeling and drafting, and participating in testing. The candidate will likely participate in the research, selection, implementation and training for software and equipment. Candidates will likely function in other roles within the organization, on an as needed basis.
Requirements: A proven team player preferably holding a technical degree coupled CNC programming and milling experience. Experience in a regulated device/equipment industry is a plus, as is experience in dedicated product development. CAD modeling and drafting skills are highly desirable.
Our fast-paced environment demands the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines. High-energy, self-starters with the following qualities are required:
- Successful communication skills, business acumen and assertive decision-making ability
- Flexibility to multi-task and perform a wide range of activities
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Office proficiency
- 3 Axis milling: importing 3D models for generating tool paths; MasterCAM or SolidCAM software experience is preferable, as is G-code programming
- Ability to operate and maintain CNC and manual machinery, including knee mills, lathes, band saws, general grinding and cutting equipment
- Design and fabrication of custom tools and fixtures
- Source specialty tooling and fixturing
- Support machine installation and setup
- Capable of machining delicate metal and plastic components, and their assembly
- 3D CAD, SolidWorks is preferable
- Maintain tools, equipment
- Model Making
- Ability to operate additive Rapid Prototyping equipment
- Ability to maintain a transparent schedule and act as a consultant with various staff regarding machining rules of thumb
- Capable of training staff on basic and intermediate machine shop skills