XAP Corporation, the industry leader in developing and providing students and adults with the online tools to explore careers and explore, plan, and apply to colleges and universities, is seeking a Database Administrator to join their Culver City team. The company pioneered the development of the electronic college application, the electronic transcript, and Internet-based student management systems enabling students to apply to college online.
The Position: Reporting to the Director of Technology, the Database Engineer is responsible for all aspects of the design, development and delivery of data and database solutions.
The Responsibilities: Agile, customer-focused (both internal and external) the Database Engineer is critical to maintaining XAP's position as a market leader. While not all-inclusive, specific responsibilities in this role include:
- Design, develop and deliver / implement data solutions to include: architecture design, prototyping of concepts to proof of concept, development of standards, design and development of test plans, code and module design, development and testing, data solution debugging, design and implementation of a solution that follows efficient design techniques and development that meets and exceeds the intent of the design of the data solution.
- Effectively manage day-to-day tasks / activities in coordination with a team of developers to effectively meet the deliverables and schedule of a data solution component within a larger application project.
- Lend support to various business and technology teams as necessary during design, development and delivery to ensure solid, scalable, robust solutions.
- Support and maintain data and database systems to meet business delivery specifications and needs.
- Analyze, test, and implement physical database design supporting various business applications; including base definition, structure, documentation, long-range requirements, operational guidelines.
- Ensure data recovery, maintenance, data integrity, and space requirements for physical database are met through formulations and monitoring of policies, procedures, and standards relating to database management.
- Ensure solutions meet business objectives and establish and maintain a high level of user.
- Provide SQL Server upgrades and SQL Server administration including: Setup of SQL Server. Review of new revisions/versions and update to new revisions/versions with minimal downtime.
- Develop and tune complex SQL statements and views for reporting and transactional systems.
- Provides on-call assistance for the Help Desk and responds accordingly to reports of trouble as presented (which may include evenings and weekends).
- Work with engineering and customer service teams to resolve problems, outages, or slowdowns.
Education: Bachelor's degree from a four-year college and/or professional certification requiring formal education beyond a two-year college, or equivalent experience.
Experience: The following experience would also be beneficial:
- Microsoft SQL DBA Certification a plus.
- Over 5 to 7 years experience with Microsoft SQL is required, Oracle experience in addition to this a plus.
- Understanding and working knowledge of SQL Replication, Log Shipping and Database Mirroring.
- Understanding and working knowledge of Cluster configuration for SQL.
- Working knowledge of internal SQL tools as well as 3rd party Products such as Quest, Confio, and alike.
- Working experience with Migration from SQL2000 and SQL2005 to SQL2008.
- Working experience with Migration of DTS and SSIS.
- Working knowledge of Horizontal Data Partitioning and archival of historical data.
- Understanding of underlying OS system and storage information.
- Database schema design experience implementing high volume transactional applications.
- Database warehouse based reporting metric applications experience a plus.
- Total mastery of MS SQL Server database administration, tuning and monitoring, DTS/SSIS package, SQL, data modeling and normalization.
- Responsible for all Database systems. Makes all DB schema changes. Ensures the performance and reliability of all database systems.
- Setup of SQL Reporting services a plus.
- This position may be required to be available 24x7, as needed.
Qualities and Attributes: The professional in this role must possess a "can do" internal and external customer service-focused demeanor that will contribute to the timely and robust delivery of client solutions and new products. The professional in this role will possess the ability to analyze and define problems, prioritize work flow, multitask, meet deadlines, and remain flexible. He/she will also possess excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills and maintain confidentiality, when appropriate. A stable work history and the ability to collaborate effectively, is a must.
Job Type: This is an exempt position.
The Company: XAP is the industry leading Technology Company that develops and provides students and adults with the online tools to explore careers and explore, plan and apply to colleges and universities. The company pioneered the development of the electronic college application, the electronic transcript, and Internet-based student management systems enabling students to apply to college online. XAP processes more than 4 million electronic college applications, and 1.5 million electronic transcripts annually making it the largest provider of these services in North America. XAP’s products are used by more than 900 colleges and universities and more than 8,000 middle and high schools in the United States and Canada and several other countries around the world.
To learn more about XAP Corporation, please visit our website at www.xap.com.
This is a full-time in-house position. XAP Corporation offers 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, LTD, life insurance, FSA, 401(k) with matching, paid time off with rollover, flextime, and a competitive salary. XAP Corporation is an equal employment opportunity employer.
Indeed - 15 months ago