The Desktop and Server Engineer will implement, manage, and maintain VMware ESX hosts and guest operating systems, Microsoft servers and clusters, and application specific solutions. Working closely with other members of the team, the position will report to the Associate Manager of Server and Desktop Engineering. Excellent communication skills and the ability to effectively interface with all levels of management and employees throughout the Museum is a must. Tasks include diagnosing and resolving server and storage, researching and recommending hardware and software, and providing support to various application administrators.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Gathering specifications, performing research, proposing solutions, performing implementations, and on-going systems maintenance
- Install, configure, and maintain Microsoft servers running on both ‘bare metal’ hardware and on the VMware ESX hosts
- Work closely with vendors in installing and troubleshooting third-party applications
- Assist in managing Commvault data backup solution
- Monitoring servers and storage with SCOM and Alertsite, and application deployment via SCCM.
- Work with data center team to provided needed infrastructure services such as cabling, network, power and A/C.
- Help to drive all team project.
- Provide level 2 and 3 support
Requirements and Qualifications:
Experience and Skills:
- 1-3 years of VMware or relevant virtualization server experience required
- 5+ years of Windows server experience required
- Experience playing a lead role on project tasks and leading ad-hoc teams required
- Experience with some combination of the following applications: VMware, Microsoft Windows Server2003/2008, Windows 7, Active Directory, SCCM, SCOM, Clustering, Load balancing, IIS, SQL, DNS, TCP/IP, DHCP and WSUS, Commvault, and Endpoint antivirus.
- Experience with Dell/HP servers, NetApp/EMC storage, and CIFS a plus
Knowledge and Education:
Indeed - 15 months ago