About Youth Uprising
Youth UpRising (YU) exists to build healthy, economically robust communities in East Oakland and the surrounding county by harnessing the leadership of young people, improving the systems that most impact their lives and advancing community development.
Since opening in 2005, YU has gone from eight to nearly eighty staff, emerging as East Oakland’s leading community transformation engine, praised as a national model by Attorney General Eric Holder in 2010. Housed in what was once an abandoned supermarket, YU is now a 25,000 square-foot state-of-the-art community transformation center annually serving about 3000 unduplicated Alameda County youth, ages 13-24. With a campus that includes an onsite health clinic, an internet café and a multimedia center, YU offers core programming in four areas: Education and education, health and wellness, civic engagement, and art and expression. YU also operates a social enterprise hub that creates jobs and provides industry-specific training in high-growth sectors that facilitate a young person’s transition into the workforce and nurture Education opportunity.
While YU’s mission is to cultivate community transformation, East Oakland is at the epicenter of the violence and poverty shaping the poor outcomes and disparaging perceptions plaguing Oakland and Alameda County. Yet Youth UpRising’s work is grounded in the belief that by providing comprehensive services and supports for the community’s most at-risk young people and engaging them as partners in improving the community, we can create healthy eco-systems that can change the place without displacing the people.
For more information about Youth UpRising go to: www.youthuprising.org
The Development Grants Manager will be responsible for grants management, which includes identifying, managing and submitting Letters of Interest (LOIs), grant proposals and reports, and managing funder relations. The Development Grants Manager will work collaboratively with the President & CEO, Executive team, Development Staff, Board of Directors and Program staff to coordinate cultivation and solicitation efforts with government, foundation and corporate donors. The Development Grants Manager will be the lead on developing strategies for major donor revenue streams.
Duties and Areas of Responsibility
- Prepare LOIs, grant proposals, grant reports and acknowledgements to current and potential funders, including developing written content, copy-editing and reformatting of text.
- Cultivate and manage relationships with foundation staff and coordinate any involvement of other Youth Uprising staff in the cultivation process.
- Coordinate correspondence with funders, and handle routine clarifying calls regarding submission dates, guidelines.
- Research new foundation, corporate and government funding opportunities and alert staff if follow up is recommended.
- Coordinate contacts and maintain donor database with responsibility for tracking deadlines, communications, awards, contact information, follow-up tasks and reporting requirements.
- Track grant proposals to funders providing status of proposals in development, proposals submitted to funders and proposals that have been issued or canceled.
- Oversee grant processing and acknowledgment.
- Maintain grant management documents and prepare written reports in keeping with the donor’s requirements.
- Coordinate with office manager to compile written grant reports with financial reports and other required documentation.
- Track/manage strategic events, opportunities, and contacts for fundraising.
- Support program staff in representing the organization at events to cultivate/develop relationships with donors and grantors as needed.
- Communicate regularly with staff about funded projects, and participate in program discussion with other staff to develop ideas and Strategies for developing new prospects and programs or activities.
- Draft fundraising-related text for contribution to newsletters, websites, board reports, promotional materials, annual reports or other publications as needed.
- Manage and support development team .
- Perform additional fundraising support tasks as identified by staff.
Qualification and Competency Requirements
- 3 to 5 years of professional experience in grants management, funder cultivation and solicitation, with a proven track record in securing major grants from foundations and individual donors.
- Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent job experience.
- Enthusiastic, highly detail-oriented, assertive, able to think critically and enjoys identifying new opportunities and raising money.
- Supervisory and management skills highly desired.
- Understanding of issues faced by youth of color in urban settings highly desired.
- Self-motivated, flexible, learns quickly and possesses a high level of personal integrity.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Detail-oriented with ability to meet deadlines, both prescribed and self-imposed.
- Ability to multi-task, establish priorities, meet deadlines, and successfully manage numerous projects simultaneously.
Development Grants Manager Competencies
Commitment to developing, leading, and maintaining collaborative teams and relationships in a fast-paced work environment.
work effectively in collaboration with Board members, senior program staff, administrative staff, external agencies, consultants and vendors.
Enthusiastic, highly detail-oriented, assertive, able to think critically and enjoys identifying new opportunities and raising money.
Open communication * Concise messages * Seek clarifications * Recognize nonverbal signals * Seek mutual understanding * Interpersonal skills * Mutual cooperation * Trust development * Listening skills * Managerial Competencies
Visionary * Articulates goals and objectives and their value * Acts as a positive catalyst for change * Models desired behaviors * Able to inspire and organize others * Builds on strengths and facilitates growth in areas of weakness * Seeks input, assesses risks and makes decisions * Problem solving approach to challenges * INSIGHT/ DISCERNMENT
Able to acutely observe and insightfully perceive a situation and/or character * Emotionally intelligent and able to reflect on feelings, motives and needs * Demonstrates good instincts regarding long term impact and implications * MOTIVATIONAL POWER
Able to articulate goals, build excitement and motivate others to do their best * Able to move people beyond their comfort zone and inspire them to take strategic risks * Elicits other people’s realization of their maximum potential * Motivates people to be phenomenal team members * Instills a sense of ownership and investment in the larger vision * Delegates and builds the leadership of others * Inspires others to go ‘over and above’ and feel good about it * PATIENCE
Able to maintain composure and endure under difficult circumstances * Compassionate, especially regarding long term challenges * Able to withhold judgment/conclusion and take time to inquire into the causes of a situation * Able to manage expectations and measure success over the long haul * PROFESSIONALISM
Adheres to the highest ethical and organizational standards * Best practice approach to work * Dependability, rooted in a reliable continuity of presence, principles and actions * Continuously seeks excellence in what we do and how we do it * SENSE OF HUMOR
Able to be real * Able to see the lighter side of difficult situations * Ready to laugh * Core Competencies Require of All YU Employees
Strong work ethic * Results oriented * High energy * High integrity * Reliability * Committed to Excellence * Takes initiative and gets things done * Demonstrated success in an entrepreneurial setting, with the ability to think strategically while executing tactically within a resource constrained environment * ORGANIZATIONAL SKILLS
Detail oriented * Tracks results * Demonstrates good work habits * Effectively uses their and other people’s time * Comes to tasks/meetings well prepared * Has basic computer skills * Develops efficient systems, processes and tools * FLEXIBILITY
Adapts to new information or circumstances * Willing to wear many ‘hats’ to get the job done * Creative in troubleshooting and finding solutions * Able to flourish in a fluid environment * POSTITIVE ATTITUDE
Able to maintain composure, hope and a sense of humor amid challenges * Able to remain positive and see solutions among difficult issues * Stamina * Able to manage and diffuse stress * SOCIAL SKILLS
Able to work with a variety of people * Able to communicate with respect and clarity * Open to different viewpoints * Able to disagree without animosity * Self aware * Compassionate * Collaborative * Able to give and receive candid feedback * A role model * CRITICAL THINKING
Thinks interdependently, framing the goals of one department/project within the entire vision * Sees current issues and challenges within a broad framework * Makes decisions that have the greatest long and short term positive impact * Thinks ‘outside the box’ – beyond given paradigms * Able to access resources (money, people) to advance solutions * Able to reflect on and improve both content and delivery * Open to developing awareness of the structural factors (socioeconomic context) impacting our communities * HOW TO APPLY: E-mail your resume with the position title in the subject line to: talent @ youthuprising.org
APPLICATION DEADLINE: August 21, 2012
BENEFITS: Youth UpRising provides 100% employer paid premiums for Medical, Dental, Vision, LTD, STD, Life/AD&D, a 401K Retirement Plan w/profit an annual profit sharing contribution, pre-taxed Flexible Spending Accounts, Commuter Benefits, and AFLAC. All employee benefits are subject to eligibility requirements.
Youth Uprising is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Youth Uprising strives to reflect the diverse community it serves.
Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.