This individual will play a key role in helping to enhance and protect the public profile and reputation of Brand USA with its key stakeholders, including industry groups, current and potential partners, and others by designing, leading, and supporting marketing communications strategies and programs related to business-to-business programs, issues management, media outreach, print and online collateral, as well as traditional and digital channels.
Key objectives for the position are to:
1) Effectively manage issues and protect Brand USA's reputation
2) Secure positive media coverage for Brand USA
3) Build enthusiasm, engagement, and trust among key stakeholders
4) Create continuity and clarity in communications across all Brand USA departments
This individual will work with other departments and outside vendors/agencies to create and direct the full spectrum of corporate communications capabilities, including:
Digital and Print Communications, Presentations & Graphic Standards
- Develop and manage the corporate graphic standards, corporate collateral series and related design for direct communications vehicles such as e-newsletters.
- Develop and manage content and messaging strategy for the corporate website(s).
- Work closely with marketing team to develop content for consumer and B2B websites, as well as an editorial calendar for stakeholder and media outreach to be integrated with marketing and social media strategies.
- Develop a presentation builder strategy, and provide executive communications support in the form of presentations, speeches, op-eds, blog posts and other written communications
Stakeholder Marketing Communications
- Develop and lead a cultivation strategy for each of Brand USA’s key media and partner stakeholder groups.
- Establish and lead a cross-functional communications advisory group.
- Work closely with all department heads to develop outreach and communications strategies to support business objectives (Marketing, Business Development, Operations)
Board of Directors
- Support board liaison efforts with executive management team
- Establish communications vehicles and write regular schedule of updates to the board
B2B/Partner Communications and Outreach
- Create presentation materials to support business development efforts.
- Provide stakeholder and partner communications support for the Business Development teams before, during and after industry events.
- Develop strategies to support the objectives of Business Development and Marketing via industry events, workshops, outreach events, tradeshow presence, presentation materials, and related collateral.
- Direct the execution of events and communications strategies.
- Produce videos and other institutional materials to support events and communications strategies.
- Develop the industry communications strategy to inform and engage influential members of the destination and travel industry.
- Write and produce produce reports, newsletters and other communications vehicles to keep industry contacts and public officials informed of Brand USA initiatives.
- Work with Human Resources/Operations to develop materials for employee on-boarding efforts
- Develop employee communications strategy and support corporate culture, diversity and inclusion efforts to support human resources goals and objectives.
- Work with Operations to establish an Intranet (internal online communications channel/resource) for Brand USA employees.
- Work with outside firm(s) and constituencies to develop an issues management and crisis communications strategy to include issues monitoring, analysis, and strategies.
- Implement required training.
- Develop messaging and other materials to effectively manage issues.
- Develop and execute media strategies, messages and positioning; write press releases and other materials for use with traditional and new media; handle media inquiries and as serve as a key company spokesperson.
- Provide messaging and media outreach direction in coordination with international market representation firms. Craft message frameworks, standard newsletter content (to be augmented and customized by international market), talking points, questions & answer documents and collateral materials on a range of specific areas.
- Create editorial calendar for media outreach to be integrated with marketing and advertising campaigns.
- Implement media relations training for Brand USA executives and staff and work with the media training programs.
- Manage media databases, reporting and analysis
- 10-15 years of strategic communications, marketing or public affairs experience; corporate, agency or campaign experience a plus.
- Excellence in communicating ideas, directing marketing and design related projects.
- Media relations and business-to-business marketing communications experience in the travel industry preferred; issues management experience a plus.
- A proven ability to think and lead strategically, while operating at the intersection of strategy and tactics.
- Proven success managing and developing teams.
- Familiarity with best practices and processes regarding stakeholder engagement, partnership development, thought leadership and message development.
- B.A. or B.S. required; advanced degree in a related field a plus.
- A high-energy, independent self-starter with highly developed problem solving skills; agency, corporate or campaign experience desirable.
- Builds relationships based on trust and results.
- Prioritizes and organizes to achieve the highest value outcomes.
- Enjoys and excels at analyzing issues and problems to achieve solutions.
- Creates structure and progress in ambiguous and sometimes contradictory situations.
- Possesses the ability to step up and assume greater leadership responsibility; credible at all levels of management.
- Can attract, manage and develop great communications talent.
- Has excellent communications skills and instincts.
- Understands strategy while possessing a bias for action and entrepreneurism.
- Constantly on the lookout for opportunities to drive excellence on behalf of the function and the organization.
Interested candidates should submit a resume; cover letter and a sample marketing communications plan.
No phone calls please.
About Brand USA
Brand USA was established by the Travel Promotion Act in 2010 to spearhead the nation's first global marketing effort to promote the United States as a premier travel destination and to communicate U.S. entry/exit policies and procedures to worldwide travelers. Formed as the Corporation for Travel Promotion, the public-private entity began operations in May 2011 and does business as Brand USA. Brand USA works in close partnership with the travel industry to maximize the economic and social benefits of travel. The program's activities are funded at no cost to US. taxpayers through a combination of private-sector investment and matching funds collected by the U.S. Government from international visitors
Brand USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring, developing and maintaining a diverse workforce without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, matriculation, physical handicap, or political affiliation.