Position: Director of Small Groups and Outreach
Status: Full-Time (40 hours)
Responsible To: The Senior Pastor
Responsibilities: The responsibilities of the Director of Small Groups and Outreach include working with congregation and pastoral staff to recruit, train and mentor leaders of small groups that will be relevant to visitors and non-attenders in the early-20's to early - 50's age range and promote their sustained spiritual growth.
This person will also work with the senior pastor of First Baptist Church's to identify any institutional impediments that impede outreach. (S)he will work with the Senior Pastor and Executive Committee of the church to suggest and implement any necessary changes to support, promote and enable church growth in alignment with First Baptist's mission and vision.
1. Research current groups and ministries at FBC, as well as meet with current attenders in order to:
a. Assess the effectiveness of current ministries to strengthen them and/or redirect resources to other programs that will be more effective in accomplishing the outreach goals agreed upon by the church.
b. Implement training strategies to develop leaders for new small groups that meet the needs of families in the local community and are in accordance with First Baptist’s mission and vision as defined by the senior pastor and Executive Committee. This person will motivate and equip, according to each potential leader’s giftedness and experience, those leaders to participate in efforts to welcome visitors and new attenders into the life of the church and serve as role models/mentors.
2. Develop and implement small groups that enrich the lives of individuals and families and thus attract visitors. These groups will result in those visitors finding a sense of belonging at First Baptist Church.
3. Implement gatherings specifically targeted toward helping new families and individuals in finding a place of belonging and spiritual development within First Baptist Church.
4. Develop and implement strategies using social and traditional media to demonstrate the relevance and quality of First Baptist Church’s ministries/small groups for the purpose of attracting new visitors, facilitating better communication with current attenders and enhancing the participation of current attenders/members of the church.
5. Consult with the Senior Pastor on the First Baptist Church website and maintain it so that it effectively and positively presents the ministries and small groups in the church.
6. Participate in Sunday morning worship services. This person will not primarily lead worship, although (s)he will occasionally lead some part of worship in ways that will enhance the overall effectiveness of his/her ministry. Level of participation to be decided win consultation with the Senior Pastor.
Job Category: Outreach Pastor
Job Status: Full-time
Denomination: Baptist -- American Baptist
Worship Style: Blended