IBISWorld is known as the nation’s most trusted independent source of industry and economic research. We release nearly 2,000 US industry reports per year, making us the publisher of the largest collection of reports and analysis on the US economy. Based in Melbourne, Australia, with offices all over the world, we serve banking, financial and professional service firms and Fortune 500 companies.
Our head office in the United States is located in Santa Monica, CA, just a short walk from the beach, the Santa Monica Pier and Third Street Promenade. We are a fast-growing company that rewards results and hard work. We have a casual work environment and a great corporate culture where people enjoy their work knowing they will be rewarded for personal and team successes.
IBISWorld is looking for an individual with experience in both proofreading and publication layout (preferably using InDesign) to work in our Santa Monica office. The editorial and layout assistant will be responsible for editing market research reports and making sure they adhere to IBISWorld writing standards and style guidelines. The assistant will also use InDesign and established templates to lay out reports according to design specifications consistent with the IBISWorld brand. Some assignments must be completed within strict deadlines, while others are looser and require self-accountability.
- Copyedit reports written by economic analysts for spelling, punctuation and grammar issues, sometimes under tight deadlines.
- Ensure that economic reports adhere to company writing and style guidelines.
- Address and resolve writing, logic and style issues in reports in a timely manner.
- Make corrections to reports without altering the meaning or logic of the content.
- Write brief summaries of key trends and statistics presented in the industry reports.
- Follow design guidelines to lay out and format industry research reports in InDesign.
- Manipulate and fit text, display type, charts and graphics into reports using existing InDesign and Illustrator templates.
- Publish reports as PDFs using IBISWorld proprietary applications.
- Work and collaborate with editorial team and lead editor.
- Interact with economic analysts (the authors of the reports) and industry research manager on a regular basis.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, English or Journalism.
- Six months to two years of work experience as a proofreader or copy editor.
- Excellent written communication skills and in-depth knowledge of standard English spelling and grammar rules.
- General knowledge of business and economic concepts is preferred, as is experience working at a business publication.
- Strong organization and time management skills. Flexibility with tight deadlines is a must.
- Experience using InDesign, Illustrator or other desktop publishing software.
- Experience working in an Apple OS environment.
- Attention to detail
- Eye for detail and visual balance
- Mastery of English language and grammar
- Ability to learn new subjects quickly
- Comfortable with high-volume, somewhat repetitive work
- Understanding of business writing and terminology
- Understanding of team-based publishing processes and workflow
- Ability to quickly learn new applications
- Ability to meet tight deadlines
All applicants must be authorized for employment in the United States and be available to work in our Santa Monica, CA, office. IBISWorld does not pay relocation costs. IBISWorld is an equal opportunity employer.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to http://bit.ly/WHhWP8. No phone calls please.