Bay Area Bike Share
San Francisco, with regular travel to the South Bay
Alta Bicycle Share, contractor to the Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD) and operator of the Bay Area bike share program (BABS), is seeking a General Manager to oversee staff of over 50 people and all aspects of launch and ongoing operations. Core program functions include: program marketing; bicycle and station assembly and installation, programming and deployment; bicycle and station maintenance, repair and cleaning; bicycle redistribution; shipping/receiving and inventory control; client and customer service; and budget management.
Reporting to the Operations Director, the General Manager is accountable for overall success of Alta’s Bay Area bike share program as measured by program P & L, performance in core program functions, and client and customer satisfaction. Primary responsibilities include business strategy development and implementation; staff recruitment, training oversight, leadership and coaching; client and customer service; and contract negotiation and compliance. Ideal candidates will be diplomatic delegators with a track record of safety and success managing multifaceted operations with a diverse and committed workforce.
Manage all aspects of Alta Bicycle Share Bay Area pre-launch activities, including but not limited to:
- Recruitment and selection of key leadership team.
- Branding and marketing plan development.
- Identification of key marketing partners and sub-contractors.
- Property identification and acquisition.
- Acquisition of vehicles, equipment and tools.
- Site selection and planning.
- Contract and client management. Establish strong vendor and client relationships.
- Receive, inventory, and oversee assembly of all bike share equipment.
- Establish or improve policies and policy documents as required.
Manage all aspects of Alta Bicycle Share Bay Area program deployment and launch, marketing, customer service, administration and oversee all aspects of ongoing operations, including but not limited to:
- Hire, train, schedule, and manage a diverse workforce to necessarily and continually accomplish core program functions. Delegate tasks as needed.
- Working with the management and street team to develop strategies to accomplish operational functions including bike and station deployment, maintenance, repair, and cleaning, and bicycle redistribution.
- Working with the local client, management and street team to develop strategies for membership and corporate sales, public relations, and customer service leveraging social media.
- Manage multiple subcontracts.
- Lead collaboration with multiple clients and multiple sponsors.
- Continuous operation with adherence to policies, contracts, and budgets.
- Implement, improve, and share operational best practices.
- Ensure strict adherence to safety policies and procedures.
- Forecast revenues and expenses, and manage a budget.
- Ensure reports, invoices and purchase orders are complete and timely delivered to project officers and managers.
- Maintain strong client and vendor relations.
- Ensure overall success and future growth of Alta Bicycle Share the Bay Area.
- Communication Skills: Collaborate and communicate effectively; requires listening, strategic context, win-win negotiating, situational leadership; great written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Leadership Skills: Inspire and motivate employees to successfully achieve operational goals; provide a stable, positive environment that challenges and develops employee potential; remove obstacles that interfere with team goals; earns respect of team and clients alike.
- Interpersonal Skills: Maintain confidentiality; remain open to others' ideas; demonstrate willingness to try new things.
- Resource Management: Find creative ways to accomplish goals in the face of resource constraints; develop and manage realistic operating budgets that accomplish program objectives.
- Continuous Improvement: Proficient in company best practices in each function; looks for ways to improve efficiency and performance; analyzes data to make fact based decisions; incorporates feedback from various stakeholders to improve processes.
- Emotional Intelligence: Self-aware, easily establishes trust and integrity with clients and staff.
- Adaptability: Enthusiastically adapt to changes in the work environment; manage competing demands; maintain team focus and optimism when dealing with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Dependability: Follow instructions; respond to management direction and client requests; communicate frequently; solicit feedback to improve performance.
- College degree in business administration, engineering, transportation or related field required. Advanced degree a plus.
- 7+ years of demonstrated success in the areas of general management, sales/marketing, general operations and finance in a fast growth environment. Experience in logistics or transportation industries a plus.
- Prior P & L responsibility in a multi-site/multi-unit operation.
- Ability to identify priorities and focus on critical tasks.
- Must have demonstrated leaderships experience and history of hiring and developing key employees.
- Experience working with government, businesses, and non-profits.
- Strong analytical, organizational, communication and problem solving skills.
- Valid driver's license.
- Passion for bikes, efficiency, or sustainability a plus.
- Sense of humor required.
Note: The above description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities due to the nature of work performed to accomplish Alta Bicycle Share’s Mission.
Alta Bicycle Share is proud to be an equal opportunity/ affirmative action employer.
Indeed - 15 months ago
Alta Bicycle Share proudly operates two bike share programs in the the United States.
In 2010, we launched Capital Bikeshare, the nation's...