We are looking to add a new member to the NYTimes mobile team to help bring our award-winning media to new platforms and technologies. As a software engineer on the iOS team responsible for our native, Objective-C iPhone and iPad apps, you’ll be responsible for pushing the envelope of technical innovation within our mobile products, and take a leading role in helping to shape the future of The New York Times. Be a part of the same team that was onstage at the Apple iPad product announcement keynote, blazing a trail within the mobile media ecosystem.
We are looking for engineers who take pride in writing reusable code with an emphasis on quality over quantity. The ideal candidate will be innovative — interested in applying new techniques and design patterns, but also fluent in current best practices and standards. We embrace the best open source, commercial and custom built software to help our development teams flourish.
As a part of our iOS team, you will enjoy a vibrant culture that promoted innovation nestled within an established and respected institution. Inside our new midtown building, you will find floor-to-ceiling windows, plenty of whiteboards, a sushi chef and a staff with a sense of humor and a passion for beautiful software.
- Take ownership of portions of The New York Times' award winning iPhone and iPad applications
- Work closely with product, design and the newsroom to create a best in class experience on iOS
- Push the envelope for state of the art mobile applications and development practices
- A strong understanding of object oriented software principles, design patterns and agile methodologies
- A passion for automated test frameworks and test-driven development
- The ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with a smart and diverse team with a healthy appetite for debate
- Have at least one public facing iOS application in the app store
- Experience with distributed version control systems like Git or Mercurial
- Experience in building as well as consuming RESTful APIs.
- Proficient with Unix, scripting languages, SQL, and regular expressions
The New York Times Company, a leading global, multimedia news and information company with 2011 revenues of $2.3 billion, includes The New York Times, the International Herald Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYTimes.com, BostonGlobe.com, Boston.com and related properties. The Company’s core purpose is to enhance society by creating, collecting and distributing high-quality news, information and entertainment.
The New York Times Company is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. The New York Times Company is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.
The New York Times Company - 2 years ago