Must be a U.S. Citizen or have a green card authorizing you to work in the U.S.
About DDW-The Color House
At D.D. Williamson, “The Color House” – one of the largest providers of caramel colors, burnt sugars and other “natural” color solutions to the largest food and beverage companies in the world. Douw Ditmars Williamson founded the company in 1865 to manufacture burnt sugars for the brewing industry.
Our 2015 vision requires rapid expansion of innovative products and processes, additional natural colors and color blends, organic colors, and many other solutions to match the food trends of today and tomorrow.
With new plants and acquisitions in the past decade, as well as significant expansion of our Innovation and Applications Labs in Louisville, KY and Cork Ireland, we are a rapidly growing and financially healthy privately held company, a rare “strong business performer” in the shaky global economy.
We regularly exceed the expectations of external and internal customers, as proven by our numerous customer and quality awards, including GFSI certification around the world. Our quality culture is a global competitive advantage as each of our now 8 manufacturing plants and 2 partnerships strive for continuous improvement at a rapid pace. Operations are located in the USA, Brazil, United Kingdom, Ireland, Swaziland and China
We are a global player, providing opportunities for our associates to interact with their peers in diverse cultures. With just 195 associates, every associate is critical to the achievement of our vision, and every associate participates in developing plans and making decisions. In business for nearly 150 years, we provide stability and growth opportunities to our diverse associates around the world as well as a family friendly culture that encourages a strong sense of community and making a positive difference in each location where we operate.
What caliber candidate are we searching for?
Do you have a minimum of a Master's Degree in Food Science (PhD preferred) or related field and experience in food ingredients (colors and/or flavors preferred) with formula and process development experience? Strong knowledge regarding emulsion and encapsulation science desired. Your experience can be from graduate studies at university or work experience.
We look forward learning to know! Please see below detailed Job Description
The Innovation Scientist assists in developing, testing, evaluating, formulating new coloring products. He/She supports the Innovation Team by carrying out various characterization and qualification of ingredients, raw materials and finished colors products. He/she is testing new product concepts utilizing innovative technology and/or new raw materials. He/she utilizes bench and pilot scale development of color prototypes leading to full-scale production.
Key Responsibilities include..
- Uphold DDW’s Mission Statement, Quality Policy, Values and Beliefs
- Product and Process Innovation: Utilize new technology and materials to assist in development of innovative, cost effective color solutions that fill market place gaps that meet or exceed the customer’s expectation. Helps establish new product specification and successfully transfers the new product offerings to manufacturing, ensuring a consistent manufactured product within a reasonable cost basis. Employ scientific methods to characterize raw materials leading to innovations through an understanding of the physical and chemical properties. New method development as relevant to the introduction of new products and/or processes.
- Customer/Product Support: Complete testing and validation of new color raw materials, new global suppliers and new formulations. Provide customer support as required and needed. Leverage relationship to acquire new technologies and new product offerings beneficial to DDW.
- Analytical Testing: Run routine analytical tests and interpret the results in support of S&I Scientist. Utilize pilot cooker, Ultra filtration unit, spray dryer, and other pilot plant equipment as necessary to facilitate product development.
- Colorant Knowledge and Expertise: Develops understanding of physical and chemical properties of colors and raw materials. Extend color knowledge through interactions and collaboration with other Scientist and interaction with academic experts or other external resources, literature reviews, regulatory monitoring, and laboratory studies. Utilize knowledge to advise on the development of the DDW color portfolio in addition to building the DDW Technological Leader image within the industry.
- Sales Support Training and Materials: Provide data and related conclusions to Marketing to develop Sales support information. Originate science-based tools to convey product offerings and advantages to increase sales along with the promotion of D. D. Williamson as the Technological Color Leader. Prepare, organize and present technical information to customers as requested by Sales or Marketing.
- Academic Relationships: Establish strong relationships with selected academic researchers and universities to strengthen the use of analytical techniques and scientific understanding of natural colors to strengthen DDW as the technological color leader.
- Laboratory Protocols: Ensure that Good Laboratory Practices and Lab Protocols are being met globally. Evolve record documentation and methodology into appropriate database. Maintain all the calibration of laboratory instruments, maintain proper calibration records and laboratory supply stock.
- Food Regulatory Compliance: Collaborate with DDW’s Global Food Science & Regulatory Manager to ensure applications are acceptable in the regional or global markets where sales are expected, including any special criteria such as organic, allergen and GM.
- Quality Focus: Actively participate in Quality Improvement.
- Safety: Ensure work is performed in a safe and in an environmentally sound manner. Take ownership for proactively eliminating all unsafe conditions and risk behaviors.
PhD and/or Master’s Degree in Food Science or related technical degree.
Capable of planning and executing experimental design to achieve desired research objectives.
Demonstrated ability to apply statistical methods and process technology.
Proven ability to articulate technical results to cross-functional team members.
High Standards for laboratory safety programs, lab protocols, and Good Laboratory Practices.
Strong communication skills – both oral and written.
Extremely collaborative with Applications Team and other DDW Departments
Computer literate, data documentation management of experimental projects
Demonstrated learner – quick to absorb new processes and knowledge.