Job Title: IT Helpdesk and Applications Support Manager
Terms: Full time, salaried, exempt
Earthwatch Institute is an international, non-profit organization that engages people worldwide in scientific field research and education to promote the understanding and action necessary for a sustainable environment. The ideal candidate will assist staff members in increasing end-user self-sufficiency and have an interest in helping to achieve Earthwatch’s mission.
The primary function of the IT Help Desk and Applications Support Manager is to be the sole IT staff person on site to manage the IT setup within the US office, contribute to IT solutions and deliver frontline tech support to approximately 50 end-users including remote users. This includes the management of budgets, ordering of equipment, managing and maintaining equipment and license inventory etc.
A vital part of the positions responsibility is making sure servers, desktops, network, phone systems, security and WAN are always available with minimal downtime. The position will assist in troubleshooting end-user issues and respond accordingly with the highest level of support. A majority of the end-users are on site, however many often travel extensively and work remotely.
Earthwatch operate an xRM database, hosted on Microsoft CRM Dynamics, which runs the day-to-day operations of the organization. A key role for the IT Help Desk and Applications Support Manager will be to support the various areas of business within the system, holding the role of champion to support the full, correct usage of the system to include working with users to gather requirements.
- Manage the IT setup in the US office reporting to the International Head of IT based in the UK office, with support from an external service provider and the UK office.
- Assist with user support for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0, including requirements gathering from departments and working with the UK IT team to understand system bugs, requirements and development needs.
- Work with the Head of IT to develop and be accountable for annual budget spends for IT software and hardware.
- Support departments with knowledge of technology and making software decisions.
- Manage all software, including licensing requirements, anti-virus, backups, existing Windows platforms and specific departmental software needs.
- Provide Communications and AV Support for phone system, video conferencing, SharePoint intranet, and maintain internet connections.
- Provide Help Desk front line, hands on, technical support to staff both in house and remote to include: data backups, data recovery, trouble shoot cell and in house phone systems, voicemail, call distribution, hardware, software, and peripherals such as copiers, printers and scanners.
- Setup PCs for new users, install software and peripherals.
- Train all staff on systems, to include Microsoft Office applications, Microsoft CRM database which has been adapted to local needs.
- 3+ years of hands-on IT management of desktop and server support and systems administration
- Knowledge of Microsoft Server applications including Microsoft Windows Server 2003/2008
- Basic administrative support for Microsoft SQL Server
- Experience of running small training sessions and producing training documentation essential
- Ability to install operating systems and upgrade desktop computers, memory, hard disks, processors essential
- Expert in Microsoft Windows 7 Support
- Knowledge of database structures and systems essential
- Experience with CRM Databases essential, experience with Microsoft Dynamics 4.0
- Knowledge of networked phone systems, NEC Aspire
Relationship Soft Skills
- Experience interfacing with multiple users
- Troubleshoot in an efficient, professional and diplomatic manner
- Ability to communicate problems in terms that are understandable to end users at all levels
- Methodical, organized, and able to work under pressure
- Adaptable, perseverant and discreet
Due to limited time and financial resources we are only able to accept applicants who are already eligible to work in the United States.
Please indicate job title in subject line of email. Send cover letter and resume to the provided email address, fax 978-897-0935; mail HR Earthwatch Institute, 114 Western Ave, Boston MA 02134. No phone calls please.
Indeed - 13 months ago