Job Title: Program Specialist
FLSA Status: Exempt
Department: Member & Program Services
Reports To: Area 1 Membership Team Lead and Director of Program Services
Location: San Angelo
Position Summary: Program Specialist will divide time between Area 1 Programs and SISTERS (Stay in School to Enjoy Real Success) Programs. Summary of each area of responsibility is listed below.
Responsible for development, implementation and evaluation of girl program opportunities in San Angelo and surrounding counties. Assume all responsibility for a regional girl programs including but not limited to Possibilities events, interest groups, travel programs and other council-wide program opportunities. Ensure the development, extension, maintenance, and retention of girl and adult membership to accomplish council goals and objectives.
Responsible for development, implementation and evaluation of the SISTERS Program. The program will begin with girls in 6th grade and will continue each year adding an additional grade to mentor girls from 6th – 12th grades. This position will develop appropriate programming to reflect girls’ needs and report measurable outcomes with the ultimate outcome of keeping girls in school to graduate from high school.
- BA required in Management, Business, Recreation or related field preferred.
- Demonstrated administrative, organizational and leadership skills.
- Ability to relate well with people from a variety of economic and ethnic backgrounds.
- Reliable transportation and telephone.
- Willingness to work flexible schedule including evenings and weekends.
- Strong problem-solving/conflict resolution skills.
- Strong public speaking skills and ability to write with a professional context.
- Knowledge of program planning and coordination.
- Knowledge of statistical reporting, record keeping and scheduling.
- Knowledge of computer programs: Word, Excel, and ability to learn new programs as warranted.
- Must be 21 years of age.
- Ability to make a commitment to the philosophy of Girl Scouts, both nationally and locally.
- Membership in GSUSA is required yearly.
- Promote and support the Girl Scout programming philosophies of the GSUSA & GSCTX.
- Develop, implement and coordinate large-scale events for Possibilities based on the GSUSA program portfolio.
- Attend training necessary to carry out assigned duties, including, but not limited to, CPR/First Aid certification, child abuse training, etc.
- Identify, organize, develop and maintain community resources/partners within assigned areas in order to secure support and group meeting space.
- Ensure inclusiveness in membership and participation.
- Develop and implement recruitment strategies and retention plans for girl and adult membership.
- Identify and work with community collaborators to set up event opportunities for troops and service units that complement Girl Scout Journeys curriculum, help girls to earn badges, or provide girls with leadership opportunities.
- Work with program team to create collaborator resource guides for membership which would list collaborators and their event offerings, prices, locations and contact information.
- Maintain contact with large-scale collaborators and provide them with event updates and facilitator packets.
- Maintain a broad base of community contacts and positive community relations by meeting with and speaking to individuals, and groups to promote Girl Scouting in the community.
- Ensure events, projects, and trips are planned, budgeted, and carried out within approved Council goals, objectives, and safety standards.
- Participate in team efforts, displaying a positive attitude. Work cooperatively with overall Council staff to accomplish council goals and objectives.
- Develop and manage an active volunteer program committee to support Council-wide events, interest groups and travel opportunities.
- Provide quality customer service that resolves concerns by offering creative solutions in a timely manner.
- Model behavior consistent with the mission and purpose of Girl Scouting.
- Provide guidance, interpretation, and updates to staff and volunteers on girl program and safety materials, and their adaptation for local use as necessary and appropriate.
- Work collaboratively with Membership Department to provide cooperative retention, recruitment and training opportunities.
- Provide support for Council fund development and fund-raising activities. Acquiring knowledge of the development process and policies and interpreting them for volunteers to ensure proper and effective communication throughout Council regarding fund development and asking others to give.
- Contribute to AA/EEO goals of Council by assuring that all plans reach out to all racial/ethnic groups and provide equal access. Acquires knowledge and understanding of affirmative action, exhibiting a non-discriminatory attitude in all internal and external working relationships.
- Wear official uniform, t-shirt insignia as appropriate.
- Adhere to the policies of Girl Scouts of Central Texas and promote girl scouting in a positive manner to the public as well as to all internal and external customers.
- Perform other duties as assigned and required.
- Prepare and submit reports, data, records and log books as assigned.
- Frequent sitting, standing, walking, bending and twisting upper body.
- Capable of lifting up to 30 lbs.
- Capable of viewing computer monitor for long periods.
- Continuous indoor activity and exposure to florescent light.
- Frequent exposure to computer, video and other copier emissions.
- Some outdoor activities and exposure to weather.
OTHER WORKING CONDITIONS
- Continuous requirement for professional demeanor and appropriate office attire.
- A criminal background check is required.
- Continuous work as a team member and ability to work independently with some supervision.
- Frequent work under stress and under pressure of deadlines with overlapping projects.
- Continuous ability to work well with others.
Important Note: The information contained in this job description is intended to outline the general nature and scope of work being performed by an employee assigned to this position. It is not intended to be construed as a contract, or as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and capabilities required of a person employed in this capacity. Job descriptions are subject to change at the discretion of the Girl Scouts of Central Texas.
Girl Scouts of Central Texas is an EOE Employer
Indeed - 15 months ago
Our mission as Girl Scouts of Central Texas is to build girls of courage, confidence and character who make the world a better place. As the...