Tarbuton, Israeli Cultural Center – Rakez/Rakezet, Education Manager
Tarbuton modern Hebrew classes are offered in the Del Mar and Solana Beach schools. New classes are being explored in Encinitas, Carlsbad, and La Jolla. The Tarbuton provides Modern Hebrew and Jewish Holiday and Israel Education in English and Hebrew for ages pre-school through 8th grade, with an innovative Shnat Mitzvah middle school program, Hebrew for High School Credit and Adult hebrew classes in the Center in Carmel Valley. Also available are an Israeli dance troupe, Singing group, and Children’s theatre. Free Hebrew Story Times; Sifriyat Pijama, are offered on Sundays at 2:00 and in San Diego public libraries. http://www.tarbuton.org
The Tarbuton was recognized in November, 2012, by the Slingshot Fund as one of the top 50 Jewish Innovative programs in North America. Seed funding was provided first by the Jewish Federation of San Diego County in 2011 and 2012 for scholarships to needs-based students, making it possible for them to participate. The Leichtag Foundation provided additional support for the Tarbuton in 2011 and 2012 with additional scholarship funds for families and supporting the PJ Library program in the Tarbuton, the Modern Hebrew version, Sifriyat Pijama.
Estimated 20 hrs/week
(Salary Commensurate with Experience)
1. Passion for Israel and nurturing a passion for Israel in the next generation required.
2. Location: current Center North County (Carmel Valley /Del Mar/Solana Beach)
3. Experienced in Education, teacher management, and proven success with community building.
4. Fluent Hebrew not required, but desirable.
5. Reports to one point person on the Tarbuton Board, manages teaching staff and partners on planning and events with Rakez/Rakezet, Community Event Manager
1. Network with local and national Jewish Educational organizations and attend Conferences as needed (1-2 times/year)
2. Set the bar high for quality Modern Hebrew instruction in San Diego, continuing to define and execute a uniquely Israeli-style after school program for youth and an Adult Ulpan.
Program Development & Management
1. Program Development & Support
a. Israeli-style School: Build on current concept of Israeli Style School, improve upon course descriptions and programs and Contemporary Hebrew programs in the Center, Public Schools, and determine new setting opportunities. Oversee Curriculum Guide and Lesson Planning process. Oversee assessment process of the academic program and staffing.
b. Establish partnerships for facility use that are cost effective and support programming needs at the Center and in additional settings (Public School, etc.)
2. School Registration and Management
a. Create class schedule annually and plan summer camp (Keitana) if feasible
b. Manage emails and phone calls, registrations and payments online
c. Review and maintain Student Forms/Administration Materials
d. Identify, timely order, class books, materials, and maintain inventory/stock
e. Manage coordination of teacher classes and planning for Holidays celebrated during class hours as a community
f. Develop solid communication with parents through the school year including start of the year meeting (Asefat Horim) and assessment process mid year.
3. Teaching Staff & Oversight
a. Advertise on-going for positions for Hebrew speaking teachers and instructors
b. Network and interview year round for teachers
c. Oversee Lesson planning, school year plans with teachers
d. Oversee Training of staffing and Professional Development
e. Hire, manage and fire teaching staff, and manage submission of payroll bimonthly and any related issues.
4. On Site Requirements: (as of 2012)
a. Required to be on site at all times in the Center when classes are in session
2012 Schedule includes: Sundays 1:00-4:00 and Mondays 4:30-7:30.
b. Occasional additional week days in Public School settings from 2:30-3:30
5. Marketing & Recruiting - Increasing Enrollment
a. Recruit student prospects for Tarbuton classes by nurturing relationship with local Americans and Israeli-Americans
b. Submit activities to Newsletters and local Newspapers writing up summaries of events and to Rakezet, Community Manager to be marketed through Tarbuton social media.
c. Conduct timely mailings of all new classes and descriptions