Position is located at a correctional facility in Haskell, TX (approx 70 miles North of Abilene).
Reports to the Health Services Administrator and works closely with facility Physician. Directly supervises the nursing staff, clerk and pharmacy technicians. Acts as Nursing Supervisor. Performs duties concerned with the care of the sick and injured, prevention of illness and promotion of good health in compliance with Emerald policy, State directives and ICE and NCCHC correctional healthcare standards.
1. Assist in hiring and training employees, perform evaluations and counseling, ensure personnel responsibilities are met for designated shift. Provide guidance and mentoring to staff.
2. Perform QI Audits, work with staff on Utilization Management processes, enter data into logs and spreadsheets.
3. Render first aid treatment and assist Physician in treating serious accidents or illnesses.
4. Treat minor injuries and illnesses according to physician instructions or nursing protocols and maintain health records. Clean and dress wounds, operate emergency equipment and provide follow-up nursing care as required.
5. Prepare and administer specified medications and drugs and assist in developing programs to prevent or control diseases and accidents.
6. Monitor offenders restricted to bed rest or medical observation.
7. Conduct cursory medical exams during inmates’ first 24 hours on site and 14 day physical assessments. Assist staff with management of Chronic Clinic and Infectious and Communicable Disease programs.
8. Conduct designated health services special programs as assigned.
9. Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening when inappropriate behaviors are observed.
10. Maintain accountability of offenders and property: adhere to safety practices.
11. Ensure all reports and statistics are kept and properly reported.
12. It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Graduate of approved School of Nursing and current license approved by the State Board of Nurse Examiners. One year of nursing experience required, preferably in a supervisory capacity in a correctional facility. College degree preferred.
Requires full range of body motion. Speech and hearing are essential. Vision corrected to 20/30. Must be able to stand for long periods. Extensive walking may be required. Occasional lifting and carrying of up to 50 pounds.
Skills and Abilities:
Supervisory and administrative skills are essential. Knowledge of medical procedures and evaluative processes. Demonstrated ability to use a variety of medical equipment. Ability to follow instructions from Nursing Protocols, Procedure Manuals, physician or extender orders. Ability to establish and maintain health records. Skill in relating to demanding patients in stressful situations.
The position is located in a correctional facility. Work is performed in a secure, enclosed facility. The environment can be noisy. Frequent exposure to communicable diseases or body fluids is possible. Protection from weather conditions provided, not necessarily from temperature changes.
If interested, please apply online at www.emeraldcompanies.com or contact Amanda Weaver, Health Services Administrator at 940-864-5694