This position is for a screening technician. The individual filling this position will accurately perform initial testing screening in the area of urine drug testing in accordance with the established SOP.
1. Perform qualitative and semi-quantitative drug screen analysis on client urine samples to ensure accurate testing of samples on automated analyzers and other laboratory screening equipment according to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
2. Maintain the automated screening analyzer and other screening laboratory equipment by performing the required maintenance according to SOP and document completion of maintenance.
3. Troubleshoot problems with automated instrument and other screening laboratory equipment by diagnosing problem, developing plan of action to solve, and implementing solution. Contact vendor technical service, if needed. Contact supervisor if unable to resolve issue.
4. Participate in the laboratory’s quality assurance program by accurately calibrating instrument/laboratory equipment, analyzing quality control (QC) samples, recording QC results, and responding to QC exceptions with resolution of problems. Document reagent, calibrators, and control preparations. Track lot numbers on all reagents, calibrators, and controls and date placed into service.
5. Prepare and validate reagents, calibrators and controls as required by the SOP.
6. Maintain proper reagent inventory by participating in inventory ordering. Receive new inventory and place in appropriate location.
7. Keep screening lab area clean and neat.
8. Train new employees on screening tasks, as instructed by supervisor
9. Perform other duties as may be deemed necessary by Supervisor
Minimum Education Required: Bachelor’s degree in one of the natural sciences in biology, chemistry, pharmacology, or toxicology; or, training and experience comparable to and/ or training in Medical Technology with certification.
Minimum Experience Required: 2-3 years’ experience in laboratory work including experience in handling and testing biological materials.
Required Minimum Skills:
- Intermediate ability to understand laboratory techniques and procedures
- Intermediate ability to understand laboratory instrumentation
- Intermediate ability to understand the function of a LIS (Laboratory Information System) and other laboratory computer systems
- Intermediate ability to communicate ideas
- Intermediate ability to teach others
- Intermediate ability to work independently, with some supervision
Physical Requirements: Inability to meet one or more of the physical requirements will not automatically disqualify a candidate or employee from the position. Upon request for a reasonable accommodation, the Company may be able to adjust or excuse one or more of these requirements, depending on the requirement.
- Be able to lift and/or move 25 pounds
- Have full body movement
Mental/Reasoning Requirements: List the mental requirements of the position as it is typically performed. Inability to meet one or more of the physical requirements will not automatically disqualify a candidate or employee from the position. Upon request for a reasonable accommodation, the Company may be able to adjust or excuse one or more of these requirements, depending on the requirement.
- Basic math and reasoning ability to understand laboratory procedures
Work Environment: List the work environment of the position as it is typically performed.
- Climate-controlled office and testing laboratory environment
- May be potential exposure to toxic or hazardous materials.