Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) offers career relevant bachelor’s degree and master’s degree programs for working adults and nontraditional learners. As the first and only 100% online, fully accredited public university in the United States, CSU-Global is focused on student success as its number one priority. CSU-Global sets the standard for quality and innovation in higher education as a part of the Colorado State University System and has expert faculty recognized as industry leaders and trained specifically for the online learning environment. CSU-Global offers a streamlined enrollment process with accelerated eight week courses that start every four weeks.
CSU-Global is seeking a Senior Accountant. This position provides key hands-on support to the Controller in multiple aspects of financial and accounting management. The Senior Accountant position will have a variety of duties that extend to assistance with collections management, preparation of accounting and budget entries and reports, and other duties assigned by the Controller. Other major functions include the reconciliation of monthly bank statements and federal financial aid using a variety of tools including Campus Vue software which is the information system for CSU-Global Campus. This position is exempt and reports to the Controller and requires full-time Greenwood Village, CO office presence.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
As the primary support to the Controller, the Accountant’s duties include but are not limited to:
- Monitor budget and accounting transactions recorded in the general ledger. Prepare journal entries to record or adjust account balances for review and approval of Controller as necessary. Monitor account balances and perform activity analyses. Review and approve accounting and budget transactions as necessary. Produce financial information as requested by management, including look-forward cost center and University-level cash and cost center expense forecasts. Assist cost center managers with the interpretation of financial data. Develop and Maintain policies and procedures for the General Accounting and Reporting unit. Monitor procedures and submit recommendations to improve operational efficiencies and internal controls. When necessary serve as backup to those reporting to the position to process routine Accounts Payable and Payroll tasks.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations for review and approval by Controller. Reconcile account balances per internal account systems to the State of Colorado’s accounting system. Assist in the coordination of month-end close process. Produce monthly financial summaries and assist in the preparation of financial statements, and other required management reports. Validate accuracy of account balances and position has full responsibility for the accuracy of all financial statements. Support the year-end close and new-year open processes. Assist in the preparation of end of the year financial statements notes. Position has primary responsibility for the accuracy of all yearend reports.
- Prepare financial statements and supporting schedules according to monthly close schedule.
- Analyze revenues and expenses to ensure they are recorded appropriately on a monthly basis.
- Prepare budgets and forecasts on an ongoing basis.
- Oversee the development of department process documentation.
- Participate in the creation of policies and processes for strong internal controls.
- Facilitate and complete monthly close procedures.
- Oversee benefits and payroll reconciliations.
The Accountant must possess significant experience in the areas of accounting, and have an ability to learn and act quickly and competently.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and five years experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- Ability to work effectively with multiple staff members at all levels.
- Prior experience effectively managing 2 to 5 staff members.
- Demonstrated ability to create budgets and forecasts.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation and facilitation skills.
- Proven superior organization and follow-up skills.
- Excellent public relations, oral and written communication and ability to communicate sensitive and/or complex information in a confidential and straightforward manner.
- Must be a creative problem solver, accurate, detail oriented, self-directed, and able to handle a heavy workload.
- Must demonstrate strong PC skills including Word, and Excel and financial database systems and queries.
- Must possess a high level of accuracy and strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly dynamic organization, able to effectively multitask in a fast-paced environment, comfortable in a highly-accountable organizational culture.
- CPA or M.S. in Accounting.
- Strong business background with experience in highly dynamic organizations.
- Prior experience working with CampusVue Finance software.
Special Note: The successful candidate must pass a criminal background check.
Salary: $60-$70K, DOE plus full benefits.
Applications will be accepted until an appointment is made, but for full consideration, materials must be received by August 21, 2013. Please apply online at csuglobal.edu/careers. Applications must include: resume; cover letter addressing interest and qualifications; and names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses for three references. Applications will be held in confidence except for the individuals invited for campus interviews.
Colorado State University System is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding affirmative action requirements. In order to assist Colorado State University System in meeting its affirmative action responsibilities, ethnic minorities, women, and other protected class members are encouraged to apply and to also identify themselves.