(Indiana Posting ID: 24804)
Job Start Date: ASAP
Job End Date: 6/30/2014 (extensions possible)
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Nine (9) years full-time professional work experience in Information Technology Project Development including a minimum of one year supervisory and/or project management experience.
- Thorough knowledge of project cost management, benefit analysis, risk management, funding and estimation of resources;
- Thorough knowledge of project management theories and practices and the ability to apply that knowledge;
- Extensive knowledge of the information systems development life cycle, information technology, project tools and approaches to development and implementation;
- Thorough knowledge in developing and maintaining applications for large scale computer systems developed in Oracle database using Oracle development tools.
- Thorough knowledge of information systems design principles and new systems design techniques using Oracle development tools.
- Ability to lead, encourage and influence others to perform;
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing;
- Ability to manage diverse human resources.
Supervisory Responsibilities/Direct Reports:
There are no direct reports for this position, however the position will have influence over individuals across teams to work toward accomplishing project goals.
Difficulty of Work:
Work is broad in scope requiring extensive judgment in adopting techniques to meet the information technology requirements, specifications, standards, and procedures of a complex enterprise wide system.
Work has a direct influence and impact on DOR’s ability to successfully administer the business operation to achieve agency mission, policy, or practice.
Technical instruction is generally not needed, however employee may seek guidance when unique problems arise. Work is reviewed for adherence to deadlines and attainment of objectives.
IT Infrastructure - Advanced, PMP Methodologies - PMP Required, PMO Governance and methodologies.
This is a high level senior project management position to manage and plan major operations and activities for large, enterprise level technology projects within DOR. These projects include modernization of legacy software, as well as implementation of new software. This position will potentially manage several projects and be responsible for the project planning, execution, and all related documentation. Business analysis may also be required during the various stages of project implementation, as well as working with outside vendors. This position will be responsible for reporting to executive stakeholders on a regular basis. The position will report to the Project Management Office and may also serve as a mentor to other PM's.
Purpose of Position/Summary:
The employee manages, plans, organizes, and controls all operations and activities of large information technology projects at the highest level. Employee works in an Information Technology Division of the Department of Revenue (DOR) and will report to the PMO Director or higher level staff.
- Manages large enterprise-type projects that involve multiple departments/divisions and other state or contracted resources for the project for DOR;
- May oversee multiple projects to ensure proper management towards successful conclusion;
- Creates and maintains project plans;
- Ensures that users and project team members roles and responsibilities on the project are defined;
- Coordinates and monitors activities of all parties involved in the project to ensure the system is completed on time and within budget;
- Communicates project status to appropriate management and interested parties;
- Ensures that user requirements, deliverables and approvals are defined;
- Ensures the delivery of a product that meets user requirements
- Creates and maintains a team atmosphere and work environment to promote project work productivity;
- Performs related work as assigned.
- Execute tasks following department techniques, tools and standards, procedures and agency guidelines.
- Plans and organizes application software projects of complex difficulty, which utilize Oracle Forms, Oracle Reports, Oracle Stored Procedures, Oracle Triggers, and COBOL with embedded Oracle SQL.
- Work closely with all levels of user community, technical staff and application development software staff to ensure successful project implementation.
- Assist, direct, train and coordinate the work of less experienced staff.
- Resolve system issues through thorough problem analysis and/or effective user interaction.
- Function as Team Lead and/or Project supervision.
- Prepare project feasibility studies, compute time and cost estimates, human resources and equipment requirements.
- Confer with user community to define information systems requirements and system processing needs.
- Confer with management to assist in planning, organizing and controlling activities to determine how projects fit into the overall system development effort.
- Direct implementation of alternative solutions which correct both operational malfunction and operating inefficiency.
- Devise project staffing plans to effectively utilize application software development resources.
- Research new techniques and technical developments.
Personal Work Relationships:
Works with DOR Executive Management, Information Technology Management, Division Management, Systems Users and Agency Personnel, Consultants, Vendors, Representatives from other Agencies, and any other individual or group involved with the project. The project manager is responsible for monitoring project progress and communicating that progress to management. The project manager consults and is involved in cooperative and non-cooperative problem solving with the project team and other individuals impacted by the automation project.