Turnitin, the global leader in evaluating and improving student writing, is seeking an experienced Software Engineer to join our Service Engineering Team (SET) as team leader. This is a dynamic role that involves work on multiple software projects, build & release tools, partner integration platforms, and engineering support for customer issues in all of our products. It is based out of our Oakland office.
You’ll work across the entire stack, from the database to client scripting in a fast paced environment for both internal and external customers.
Turnitin is a multiple-award-winning product used by more than 13,000 institutions in 135 countries to manage the submission, tracking and evaluation of student papers online. Usage of the service is growing more the 40% per year.
This is an opportunity to join an exciting team at a unique and successful company that’s been doing Big Data before anyone was using the term.
- 3+ years experience in software engineering on projects of increasing complexity and scale in Linux environments
- Detailed understanding of the HTTP protocol: requests, responses, and their relationship to RESTful web services; experience with other web service protocols eg SOAP
- Firm grasp of web standards and an instinctive feel for usability
- Experience with test-driven-development and continuous integration
- Strong technical design skills, design patterns, etc
Communication Skill Requirements:
- Proven ability to self-manage projects of increasing scale and complexity
- Demonstrable skill at explaining technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- Effective mentor of junior engineers
- Customer-obsessed: experience with effectively gathering requirements from, and iteratively working with technical and non-technical customers
- Naturally driven to seek out requirements from other departments; outspoken advocate for those requirements
- Proven ability to “manage up” and drive process improvements
- Effective evangelist of best practices
Writer of useful documentation
Nice to Have:
- Experience with configuration and deployment technologies eg cfengine, Chef, Capistrano, etc
- Experience with Linux system administration
- Experience with PostgreSQL
- Experience with Perl esp Moose, Catalyst, DBIx
- Experience with iOS & mobile development