We operate at massive scale -- hundreds of servers, multiple datacenters, over a petabyte of storage, and service usage growing 40%+ per year. We were doing noSQL and Big Data before there was a blogosphere to make those terms popular.
This position is for an individual contributor with strong technical and interpersonal leadership skills. You will be based out of our Oakland office.
- Quickly come up to speed on our custom noSQL, Big Data, and proprietary search engine systems.
- Accept day-to-day operational responsibility for this tier of our architecture.
- Work with our entire technical team -- Engineering, Operations, Product, QA -- to bring current industry best practices to bear and scale our systems to meet ever expanding demand.
- Automate, automate, automate.
- 5 + years in a horizontally-scaled, highly automated web operations environment.
- Excellent SQL, shell, python, Linux, RPM, etc. skills.
- Experience automating large system deployments -- ideally in cfengine, but Puppet, Chef, Spine etc. also acceptable.
- Experience deploying and scaling SQL and noSQL technologies, including replication and sharding.
- Experience benchmarking and troubleshooting performance in a multi-tiered hardware and software architecture.
- Experience as a mid/senior-level postgreSQL or mySQL DBA, or experience with distributed systems, strongly desired.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, including previous work with a geographically distributed team.
- Bachelor’s degree is strongly preferred
About Turnitin - iParadigms:
Here at iParadigms we make software to help educators be more productive and keep students honest in their work. Our flagship web application, Turnitin, is a completely paperless way for written work to be submitted, verified for authenticity, and graded online. Using our tools, teachers can markup papers, grade, and even leave audio feedback on student work. Soon, the same tools and more will be at their fingertips on the iPad. It’s not hard to understand why teachers, instructors, and college professors love our products – we help them connect with their students in new, innovative ways, while helping them to be more productive with their time and improve the overall educational experience.
Why should you work here?
The People: We pride ourselves on having a friendly, open, humble, and diverse culture. We have about 120 people at our headquarters in downtown Oakland and 50 in the UK; everyone has a chance to get to know one another. We collaborate. We innovate. We share.
The Business: Turnitin is the market leader in anti-plagiarism and online grading by almost every measure. It is used by more than 1 million instructors at 10,000+ institutions in over 110 countries serving 20+ million students in 14 languages. We have processed more than a quarter billion student papers with our software.
Our customers love us, we love them, and we keep winning new ones every month across the globe. In addition to Turnitin, we’ve created iThenticate for researchers and publishers, WriteCheck for students, and Turnitin for Admissions for admissions professionals.
Our numbers are not public, but we are profitable and have been for several years. iParadigms is a part of the Warburg Pincus family of companies.
Cool Perks: Generous Personal Time Off. Generous 401K match that is 100% vested at contribution. Paid time away to volunteer in your community, and matching charity contribution up to $2500 annually. Chair massages. Subsidized gym membership. Great location at 12th Street BART just blocks from Chinatown, Lake Merritt, Jack London Square, and the Fox and Paramount theatres.