Our University/Young Adult Ministry: First Pres is a church family committed to investing in the lives of university students and young adults. This ministry is three-pronged.
First, during the school year, our ministry seeks to develop a partnership with InterVarsity Christian Fellowship at Trinity University: joining them for their large group meeting on Thursday nights, providing service opportunities for IVCF students and any TU students through our mission partners, and inviting juniors and seniors into Core Group relationships with an First Pres member who is a mature Christian adult committed to walking alongside his/her Core Group students. We spend time on each campus during the week building relationships with students.
Second, we seek to minister to our “home-grown” students who are away at college. This happens in several ways:
- Care Packages! A few weeks before fall and spring finals we ship close to 100 care packages full of amazing study food and notes of love from their First Pres church family.
- During the winter and summer breaks we have a weekly gathering for our students called CHOW. We meet in the home of a different First Pres family each week. We eat great food, worship together and have a lot of fun.
- We also will plan a trip in the fall and the spring semesters to visit students throughout Texas, and maybe even beyond!
- A spring break mission trip (March 9-15, 2014) is planned for Hurricane Sandy relief in Toms River, NJ for any/all interested students.
Third, our ministry seeks to strategically reach out to the young adults (18-30 year olds, single and married) of our congregation to provide worship, fellowship, service and growth opportunities for them. We seek to provide a welcome home for the college students who graduate and return to San Antonio as well as reach out to the hundreds of young adults moving into the new apartment housing within just a mile or two of our church.
Our Interns: At First Pres we love having interns in our midst. We provide an opportunity for interns to serve alongside our dedicated staff and volunteers. This internship will be both educational for the candidate as well as vocational, as the intern will participate, develop, and lead ministry projects throughout the year in partnership with staff directors. The experience will also minister to the intern as s/he will be in community with another intern as well as the Family/Student Ministry staff in building meaningful relationships through weekly meetings, Bible studies, worship, and fun times of just hanging out!
It is our desire to invest in the young leaders of the church, help them discover and further develop their own gifts for ministry, as well as learn how to balance a life of vocational ministry with their own spiritual growth and personal development. We seek to provide an experience where the intern feels better prepared and equipped to assume a staff position in any ministry setting. This position is a 40-hour-per-week position, including Sunday mornings, evening campus gatherings, and special events.
- Model an authentic Christian lifestyle for students and young adults.
- Work with the Director of Young Adult and University Ministry (YA/UMin) to provide resources, support and assistance to CORE group leaders so they can carry out their role as small group leaders for their students.
- Build relationships with students on the campus of Trinity University, intentionally inviting students into a discipleship relationship.
- Build relationships within the congregation of First Pres to communicate the vision of University and Young Adult ministries within the membership.
- Under the direction of the Director of YA/UMin prepare and teach occasional classes for the College and Career and/or the Young Marrieds Sunday school classes.
- Assist in staff/volunteer training events, small groups, mission trip, and retreats.
- Design, implement, and evaluate a special project for local campus ministry, the home grown students, or the young adults, under the supervision of the Director of YA/UMin and/or the Pastor for Family and Student Ministry.
- Attend all staff and committee meetings.
- Meet with the Director of YA/UMin weekly.
- Meet with the Pastor for Family and Student Ministry monthly.
- Assist with administrative tasks: letters, fliers, emails, posters, etc.
- Participate in worship weekly.
- Guard Sabbath time.
Qualifications: We are looking for someone with a love for Jesus Christ, a passion for student ministry and young adults, a heart to see Christian students and young adults strengthened in their spiritual growth, and non-Christian students and young adults challenged by the gospel. This person should have demonstrated interest in and some experience with university or campus ministry in some form, a teachable spirit and be anxious to learn from and contribute to a team. The successful candidate must have completed college and be at least 22 years of age (as of September 1, 2013). The intern must have access to a vehicle and submit to a drug test and criminal background check.
Compensation: The salary for the 40-week (August 11, 2013 through May 17, 2014) internship is $12,000 plus free room. Board would be negotiable with the host family. Work schedule and time away will be scheduled with the approval of the Director of UMin/YA and Pastor. Use of office space and a computer (PC) will be provided by the church. The interns will also receive mileage reimbursement for work miles driven.
Application Process: Apply by submitting a cover letter, statement of faith and resume. APPLICANTS THAT DO NOT HAVE A COLLEGE DEGREE WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED!
We look forward to exploring the possibilities of serving together as we make Jesus visible.
Our Church: First Presbyterian Church of San Antonio welcomes and invites everyone to be a part of our movement to make Jesus visible. We worship, grow together in our faith, and serve alongside our San Antonio neighbors in order to transform our community and the world.
Our church is located in historic downtown San Antonio, just three blocks from the Alamo. A 2,100-member church founded in 1846, First Pres is the oldest Protestant church in the city. In order to make Jesus visible, First Pres members come from all across the metropolitan area to worship, grow in Christian faith, and to serve. Traditional worship services in the sanctuary feature hymns led by the Minister of Music, choir, and organist. A contemporary worship in the fellowship hall provides worship and praise music led by a band. The Christian education program includes Sunday morning classes for children, youth, young adults, and adults. Throughout the week there are Bible studies and small groups in homes and at the church. First Pres is committed to mission, supporting 22 global missionaries and several local mission projects. The church has helped start several local outreach programs including Christian Assistance Ministries (food and clothing), San Antonio Metropolitan Ministries (temporary shelter), and the Christian Dental Clinic. The church hosts a Sunday afternoon meal for the less-fortunate and supports Haven for Hope, a revolutionary new campus for the homeless providing a wide range of coordinated services.