Responsible for the Credit Union’s Risk Management Process including, but not limited to, the following risks: Compliance, Credit, Concentration, Interest Rate, Liquidity, Reputation, and Business Continuity. Works closely with the CFO, the ALCO Committee and CEO in assessing, monitoring and reporting on risk within the institution.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversees the Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) program ensuring that risk levels are within acceptable limits for the organization. Analyzes and monitors the risk taken by business units and reports on the appropriateness of these activities.
- Coordinates risk management work with all departments, management, attorneys, leagues, consultants, insurance agencies, etc. Reports periodically to the Credit Unions Supervisory Committee.
- Prepares a risk management strategic plan evaluating and recommending various risk management strategies to include concentration risk limits and risk based capital allocations.
- Works with the Internal ALCO committee to develop a sound Interest Rate Risk (IRR) and Liquidity Management program to include the review of modeling assumptions and the adequacy of regular reporting, monitoring and mitigating IRR.
- Works with the Chief Lending Officer in monitoring, reporting and mitigating credit risk including evaluation of Business Loans, Mortgage Loans and Consumer Loans.
- Oversees the process to conduct annual risk assessments by department, location, product, etc to enhance the scheduling of internal audits, compliance reviews and examiner compliance;
- Oversees the compliance with all laws and regulations; maintain a working knowledge of all related laws and regulations, generally accepted accounting principles and auditing standards, maintains a compliance library that provides adequate and necessary regulatory reference and a copy of all the Credit Union’s policies, procedures and guidelines; Oversees the Credit Union’s Compliance and Quality Assurance staff; Acts as primary liaison to internal and external auditors as well as NCUA examiners to ensure that the Credit Union responds appropriately to exceptions and other recommendations.
- Responsible for an enterprise-wide disaster recovery and business continuity plan.
- Communicates the status of risk management plan on a regular basis to the Executive Team.
Position required excellent communication skills. Maintains a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner so that the employee gets along with members, vendors, co-workers, and management.
Directly supervises the Compliance Officer and Quality Assurance staff and has oversight responsibility for the entire compliance and risk management department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Possesses a Bachelors Degree in finance or a related field; with a minimum of 10 years proven experience in progressively responsible compliance and risk management related positions.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Creation Date: October 2011