Enterprise Recycling Manager
April 2012 to Present
Financial responsibility for the recycling and waste hauling lines for 2,500 retail grocery stores. Craft and implement zero waste programs for stores and distribution centers.
• Reduced year over year waste hauling expenses by over 15%
• Held recycling revenues within 18% of the prior year, in a year when commodity values fell by over a third, by increasing recycling rates
• Internal Zero Waste certifications increased from thirty to nearly 200 stores in one year
• Led a cross-function team of zero waste champions who helped implement programs at the banner level
• Used Hyperion and Oracle database utilities for analysis, planning and submission of financial plans
Sustainability Lead / Project Manager
2007 to April 2012
Lead team responsible for identifying and delivering strategic sustainability projects. Educate employees on sustainability concepts and how they can be applied at work and at home.
• Achieved Circle of Excellence recognition in the RCGA's 2011 St. Louis Green Business Challenge
• Initiated a food donation program which diverts products to local food banks, reducing waste & earning tax deductions
• Implemented a zero waste pilot program to demonstrate the revenue opportunity and engagement benefits
• Engaged employees with sustainability-based service events and educational opportunities
Deliver projects and programs aligning capital with business strategy. Manage project relationships and communications between functional business units.
• Directed a 20 member team of employees, contractors and vendors to deliver a multi-year, $18M program on time and under budget
• Successfully implemented numerous intricate projects for supply chain, operations, purchasing and finance groups, through a matrix of multi-firm, virtual and international teams
January 2007 to December 2010
Worked to promote project management and it's practitioners in the metro St. Louis area. Partnered with local firms and universities to develop new offerings adding value to membership.
Past President / President / VP Membership / VP PR
2007 to 2010
Drive participation and development of members by creating a positive, supporting group culture. Mentor multiple new club members
• Turned a failing organization into a model club others are now measured against • Led club to a 50% increase in membership and over a 100% increase in participation
Project Manager / Systems Engineer
2004 to 2007
Plan and execute operational support projects. Install, maintain and support server and network infrastructure. Recommend solutions for business issues/needs.
• Raised customer satisfaction ratings to 97%, by leading IT Services improvement efforts
• Led planning and successful implementation of systems integration for multiple acquired firms
2003 to 2004
Implement and maintain Key Account infrastructure. Develop client relationships.
• Delivered solutions reducing interruptions and total IT cost of ownership
Network Analyst / UK Helpdesk Lead
1999 to 2003
Monitor infrastructure to support 99.9% availability of all networked systems. Troubleshoot issues and lead hotline bridge calls to resolve critical systems issues. Support and train UK HQ and brokerages.
• Generated immediate 20-point increase in customer satisfaction ratings - from less than 70% to over 90%
• Reduced wait times by more than 75% of historical average
• Migrated support system for entire firm from London to St. Louis
Project Management Institute - Metro St. Louis Chapter
President / President-Elect / VP Marketing & Communications
Lead directors through organizational redevelopment. Direct annual budgeting and strategic planning processes.
• Drove 25% increase in membership
• Reorganized chapter board to align operations with organizational maturity
• Steadily increased assets while increasing the club's offerings
Candidate for the degree of Masters in Environmental Management in Sustainable Development
2010 to 2013
BS in Management
Project Management, Relationship Building, Effective Communications, Stakeholder Engagement, Change Leadership, Systems Thinking
Advanced Communicator Bronze
2009 to Present
Advanced Leader Bronze
2009 to Present
Project Management Professional (PMP)
June 2005 to December 2012
Project Management Institute
Soil Matters: The Broad Case for Conservation Tillage
August 16, 2011
A look at the overwhelming benefits on conservation tillage.
L.A. Eats: The Battle for Los Angeles
April 28, 2011
Paper on the need to rethink and transform food systems to reduce their environmental impacts
Humanity at the 4th Agricultural Crossroads
December 18, 2011
This effort looks at the impending choice of more or less sustainable agricultural practices from an ethical perspective.
The Impact of GMOs in Agroecology: Can You Fool Mother Nature?
A look at the potential risks and opportunities in employing genetically modified organisms in agriculture.