Safely drive a tractor-trailer for the purpose of delivering various types of product (frozen, chilled and dry) to SYSCO customers according to route schedule and specific timelines. This position is responsible for collecting money and maintaining positive customer relations. Perform position in accordance with Safety Preferred Work Methods.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Ability to safely operate a tractor-trailer while adhering to all Federal, State and company regulations.
• Deliver product according to the route schedule and time windows. Immediately inform management team of any deviations. May be requested to run backhaul when necessary.
• Must safely unload and deliver all products into the customer’s facilities and place where appropriate (by the customer or company) either by hand, two-wheel dolly, pallet jack, etc.
• Must scan case(s) at each customer. Responsible to providing feedback/label for cases/pallets that do not scan properly.
• Correctly adjust invoices noting returns, shorts, etc.
• Maintain and report hours of service per D.O.T. requirements.
• Perform safety pre and post trip inspections on vehicle. Follows Preferred Work Methods and observe all safety rules and regulations in an effort to prevent accidents or injuries.
• Follow all policies and procedures of the Company and the Transportation Department.
• Responsible for complete and accurate daily paperwork: pre-trip, post-trip, invoice adjustments, etc.
• Collect and count monies when instructed by terms on invoices. Responsible to get the invoice signed by the customer, providing customer their copies, and bringing copies back to the office. Responsible for complete and accurate daily paperwork: correctly adjust invoices noting returns, etc.
• Responsible for organizing invoices, checks and cash, returning all products rejected by the customer and/or returns trailer and other asset (pallets, straps, etc) for check-in procedure.
• Responsible for proper handling of product to minimize damage to products.
• Responsible to maintain positive customer relations and involve management or respective sales personnel to resolve customer issues.
• Maintains a neat appearance and manner at all times while on the job.
• Maintains sanitary conditions in tractor and trailer and assists with maintaining sanitary conditions in the warehouse and yard.
• Operates industrial equipment in a safe manner and immediately report any unsafe conditions.
• Participate in various meetings/groups (shift, department, company and safety).
• Works until the job is completed in accordance with D.O.T. regulations while maintaining acceptable production levels.
• Other duties as requested by a Supervisor.
• Inspects delivery vehicle, per DOT instructions (i.e. checking tire pressure, oil level, gauges, etc.) to ensure that it is set at proper temperature and operating properly.
• Ensures, when leaving truck unattended, that doors are closed and locked and keys are removed from the ignition to avoid occurrences of theft.
• Reports any vehicle mechanical problems to truck shop immediately and completes D.O.T. post trip inspection report placing all copies in the proper locations to ensure proper repair and the availability of a fully operational fleet.
• Parks vehicle, following check-in, removes all load bars, pallets, and hand trucks and places the equipment in the appropriate areas.
The requirements below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities that an individual must possess to perform the essential functions of this job:
Required Minimum Education/Experience:
• 1 year local delivery, tractor trailer experience required
• Minimum 21 years of age
• Ability to lift 50 pounds regularly, 75 pounds occasionally and 100 pounds rarely to a level of three feet high.
• All applicants will be required to pass a pre-employment background check, DOT physical, drug screen, and physical abilities medical exam prior to employment.
• Must meet and maintain MVR violation and insurance pooling requirements.
• No DUI/DWI in the three years preceding the date of application and no multiple DUI/DWI in the 10 years preceding the application
Certifications and/or Technical Requirements:
• Class A Commercial Driver’s License required
• Currently have or have the ability to obtain a Double and Triple trailer certification and Hazardous Cargo certification preferred.