To secure a position in the Portland area where I can, hopefully, be a person of value to the organization that employs me, whether that be in the accounting field, teaching, or in a broader leadership position.
Mrs. Dianne Singley, CPA
January 2010 to Present
January 2, 2010 to Present: I returned to public accounting after my church position, along with six other positions, was eliminated due to significant decreases in member giving due to recession. I am currently working as an independent contractor on an hourly basis with my former partner, Mrs. Dianne Singley, CPA, providing similar services as I did in my public accounting years from 1977 to 2006.
CHURCH AND CIVIC ACTIVITIES
Board member (one of seven)
April 2006 to Present
acute care hospital in Meridian. I am currently chairman of the hospital's Finance Committee, a member of the three-person independent Compensation Committee, and a member of the hospital's Planning Committee. I was selected to be the chair of the Chief Executive Officer Search Committee in the fall of 2009 to secure the services of a new CEO, after our former CEO retired. This search was extremely successful with the new CEO hired in early 2010 after a three-month selection process.
1991 to Present
Aldersgate Retirement Community, Inc., a United Methodist- related corporation and a tax-exempt entity. Aldersgate is a subsidiary of Mississippi Methodist Senior Services, Inc. This organization has twelve state-wide campuses that provide housing to the elderly in a Christian environment. Our facilities consist of independent living, personal care, and skilled nursing. I was State Board Chair of MS Methodist Senior Services for three years, 2000-2003. I was a member of the state Board of Directors for nine years.
Chief Administrative Officer
July 2006 to November 2009
Duties included: 1. Responsible for all areas of accounting for the church, including analysis of general ledger and bank accounts on an on-going basis, as well as preparation of monthly financial statements.
2. Facility management of 1,500 member church that encompassed an entire city block.
3. Direct supervision of church and administrative staff of approximately twelve employees. Evaluations conducted of all employees on an annual basis. Prepared detailed job descriptions for each church position.
4. Initiated 401(k) retirement plan for church and participated in the administration of said plan. Worked closely with third party
administrator to ensure compliance. Later dissolved plan and set up SIMPLE IRA plan due to excessive administration costs on
5. Responsible for valuation of non-cash gifts to the church (mainly investments) and subsequent sales of said gifts.
6. Worked on a daily basis with program staff and pastors to ensure church functioned properly.
Staff Parish, Administrative Council
July 2006 to November 2009
to provide them with information for proper governance.
2008 to 2008
No evaluation conducted in 2009.
1998 to 2008
During this 10 year period, I was a board member and board chair (4 years) with Wesley House Community Center, Inc., a United Methodist-related community center that provides early childhood education, meals, counseling, and free medical care to the underprivileged in our community.
Public accounting career as Accountant, CPA, Partner
October 1977 to June 2006
Duties included: 1. Preparation of Federal and State tax returns for all type
entities, such as individuals, corporations, estates and trusts, and tax-exempt organizations.
October 1977-June 2006 (continued)
2. Preparation of estate and gift tax returns.
3. Conducted certified audits of business entities.
4. Prepared monthly financial statements, general ledgers and subsidiary ledgers for monthly accounting clients.
5. Applied for tax-determination letters for tax-exempt entities and assisted the organizations through the often complex application
6. Advised and consulted with individual and business clients regarding an array of tax, financial, estate, and retirement issues.
7. Maintained detailed records for clients' investments, such as spreadsheets for mutual funds and detailed cost basis analysis.
8. Responsible for administrative duties in operation of our firms.
1982 to 2006
prior to my employment at Central. The positions included chairmanships of the Administrative Council, Finance Committee, Worship Committee, and Evangelism Committee. I was appointed as Lay Leader in late 1990s for a three year term. I was a member of the church's Sanctuary Choir for 28 years and a member of the Handbell Choir for over 20 years. I have done extensive teaching in the Sunday School classes and participated in post-Hurricane Katrina mission trips and events, as well as serving as a director for our hurricane shelter operations at the church.
Internal Revenue Agent
August 1972 to October 1977
and Greenville, MS offices.
3. Referred, assisted, and provided court testimony in IRS criminal investigations of taxpayers suspected of filing fraudulent income tax returns and fraudulent failure to file cases. I left IRS in October 1977 to join a public accounting firm.
MS in Accounting
May 1972 to May 1972
Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word, and Office; able to analyze and interpret legal documents; strong personal skills in dealing with superiors, peers, and general public.