• Extensive experience in journalism and communication, including more than 20 years in editing and supervisory positions.
• Substantive experience as both a writer and editor in major newspapers and magazines.
• Public affairs experience, including supervisory positions, in academia and the public sector.
• Ten years experience as a university faculty member in journalism and communication.
• Multiple national journalism award winner.
Editor, Newsroom Manager
In this position, I supervised reporters and photographers covering DeKalb County, a core metro Atlanta county with 700,000 residents. This involved supervising breaking news coverage, enterprise, watchdog and projects across a range of topics, including police, county and city governments, politics, courts, schools, ethnic communities, growth and business. Duties also included maintaining a daily website for DeKalb County news.
• Other duties at the Journal-Constitution included managing various teams of reporters covering transportation, race relations, environment and growth/development. I also served three years as editor of the Journal-Constitution's Sunday section for analysis, commentary and in-depth reporting. In this position, I was responsible for the entire editorial product from planning to production, working closely with reporters and editors from several departments.
• Associate Editor, Detroit Free Press. I helped edit and supervise reporters and other staff for the Free Press' Sunday magazine with 1.2 million circulation. Conceived and launched a weekly themed essay column with contributions from Free Press staff and freelancers.
Magazine Writer, Editor
• Four years as editor of Memphis, a monthly city magazine consistently honored as among the best in the country. In this position, I was responsible for overseeing the editorial process as well as editing and coaching staff personnel and freelancers.
• Contributing editor, Memphis magazine. More than 10 years experience writing contracted assignments including cover stories, features and a monthly column. As a freelancer I have also published articles in Essence magazine and other publications.
As the editor of this national sports magazine, I was responsible for overseeing the editorial product and working with freelancers from across the country.
Manager, Employee Communications
MLG&W is a municipal utilities agency. Duties included writing articles and editing staff for weekly and monthly publications, preparing news releases and annual reports, maintaining employee bulletin boards and designing/monitoring internal communication efforts.
Senior Staff Writer
The CSSC is an academic division of the University of Mississippi. Responsible for writing a monthly publication, planning and producing informational/fund-raising materials as well as preparing speeches and other materials for senior executives.
Lecturer, Assistant Professor
• Ten years experience, including a tenure-track position, teaching journalism and communication courses at the university level, with positions at the University of Memphis, The University of Mississippi and most recently Georgia State University.
• Courses taught include news writing, magazine article writing, magazine editing and production, feature writing, survey of mass communications, introduction to public relations and electronic media in public relations.
In this current position I serve as a classroom instructor and tutor in adult literacy.
B.A. in English
M.S. in Journalism
• Project editor of “From the Heart: Race In Atlanta,” an Atlanta Journal-Constitution series that was named 1997 Story of the Year by the Georgia Associated Press Association.
• Editor of the Journal-Constitution’s Perspective section that was named Best Theme Section by the national Association of Opinion Page Editors in 1996. In 1994, Perspective was named Best Overall Section.
• Editor of Memphis magazine; received awards in 1987, 1989 and 1990 for General Excellence from the national City and Regional Magazine Association. Author of two articles published in a special report on race relations for which Memphis magazine received a 1984 Distinguished Service Award from the national Society of Professional Journalists. One of my articles was featured in the SPJ awards program.