Los Angeles, CA
Private Equity Accounting Manager
2014 to Present
Assemble and review monthly reporting packages for executive management. This involves managing the team in aggregating data from multiple sources and departments, reviewing for issues to highlight or errors to revise, and resolving issues/making appropriate revisions prior to distribution.
• Day to day supervision of four funds with numerous AIV's; responsible for the production of the client reporting package including valuation and transaction reporting, within stated deadlines - mostly on a quarterly cycle.
• I manage a team of accountants who act as daily points of contact for our clients.
• I provide excellent client service on a multitude of matters including recording and analyzing transactions, reconciliations and preparation of work paper packages.
• Coordinate of external audits, SEC reporting and management company requests.
Fund Accounting Supervisor
2011 to 2014
I am the team lead in the accounting system migration to Investran. This consists of working with many colleagues across the bank to provide the client with an excellent service 24 hours a day. This included a complete overhaul of our general ledger and investor reporting to improve our CRM, risk and controls and report delivery systems.
• I have taken the fund from inception to a stable state and have built both the subsequent closing and the waterfall calculator models.
• Responsible for creating dynamic reporting needed to effectively manage investments and monitor performance (TWR and IRR) along with revenues and expenses.
• I review daily cash accounting, partnership allocations, distributions, compliance review and performance calculations at both the Trust and Fund levels.
• I assist external auditors with queries and explain to them some of the more complex issues associated of fund accounting.
• The team creates dynamic amortization schedules to track premium paid, commitment fees and unutilized fees.
• I formally train the accountants on new Information technology and compliance systems.
• We provide clients with excellent customer service by using technology, the partnership agreement and intelligence and foresight.
• Assemble and review monthly reporting packages for executive management. This involves managing the team in aggregating data from multiple sources and departments, reviewing for issues to highlight or errors to revise, and resolving issues/making appropriate revisions prior to distribution.
• Day to day supervision of six Investment entities; responsible for the production of the client reporting package including valuation and transaction reporting, within stated deadlines - mostly on a quarterly cycle.
Private Equity Associate
2008 to 2009
Accounted for a diverse and complex set of investment assets and legal structures using IAS 39.
• Managed the fund including VAT, tax reporting and accounting (in both IFRS and US GAAP) for SPV's and working closely with investors dealing with any issues that may arise in an accurate and timely fashion.
• Responded to inquiries from clients, marketing representatives and portfolio managers and for tasks such as trade input, income postings, asset and cash reconciliations, and wires.
• Worked with the equity partners to help them with their budgeting and forecasting models. Many of these companies are medium sized companies and by educating them in the latest forecasting methods (ARIMA, Holt and double exponential smoothing) I was able to manage the long term financial planning across numerous investments..
• Analyzed the effects of possible capital events on the valuation of the REIT, such as large-scale transactions, joint ventures, debt refinancing, and the use of various equity instruments.
• Constructed the annual budget based on assumptions and macro economic factors and compared the budget to actual results using variance analysis.
• Prepared the management accounts which included portfolio information, escrow tracking and headcount, compensation summaries and contingent assets and liabilities under IAS 37.
2003 to 2008
Had financial control for three Group Treasury (Capital Raising) entities incorporating the production of daily P&L and liaising with the front office to monitor the funding positions and to ensure new capital programs (e.g. new debt and preference issues, investments) are accounted for correctly.
• Managed the waterfall process for securitizations which included risk analysis of the junior subordinated debt in the equity class tranche(s) in order to mitigate the credit default risk.
• Accounted for many other derivative and structured products using the latest FAS 140 and FAS 133 standards
• Prepared the accounting, balance sheet substantiation, inter-company reporting and business support requirements for NatWest PLC within the capital raising area.
• Played an integral part in the migration of the daily P&L and inter-company reporting process to Singapore. This involved both training of staff and a daily review of their output.
• Used Hyperion (HFM) to analyse the balance sheet by several criteria including, sector, asset grade, maturity and currency to complete SEC reporting requirements and call reports for US entities.
• Posted SAP journals in order to make adjustments upstream to Wall Street where system generated trade fee have failed.
• Produced and presented detailed annual forecasts for RBS Treasury senior managers to help provide financial and strategic plans by interpreting financial KPI for non-financial managers. These forecasts were rolling forecasts due to changes in the Bank of England base rates and f/x rates which are key factors in the treasury department.
• Effectively managed the month-end close for several entities (including a PLC and a holding company) which involved posting journals, consolidations, reconciliations and foreign exchange adjustments (to comply with FAS 157 / IAS 39).
• Consulting: I worked part time as a consultant for a kite surfing company, Flexifoil International, helping the CEO cut cost, relocate resources and focus on core sectors.
• Real Estate Investing: I have been interested in real estate for several years and have acquired a small profitable portfolio based in the US and the UK. I use various sources of information to aid me with investment decisions as I look to purchase distressed properties with strong rental returns.
Masters in Business Administration in Real Estate Finance
2009 to 2011
Association of Charted Manangement Accountants in Accounting
2003 to 2007
Bachelors of Science in Finance, Accountancy, Operational Research, Statistics and Forecasting
1998 to 2002