Hardware Operations Team Manager
2005 to 2012
Cross-functional management of global data center operations teams both locally and remotely. Identified problems and areas for improvement in global processes and infrastructure; worked with global management team to create solutions for computing and network architecture in datacenters across the company. Managed and participated in data center migrations, server deployments, server decommissioning, and various other programs and projects. Interviewed, hired, coached, and mentored datacenter technicians, system administrators, and managers.
• Responsible for managing two separate global teams with up to 21 direct reports at one time.
• Managed large global machine repairs program from design to implementation that was responsible for dramatically decreasing the amount of misdiagnosed parts coming out of the repairs process. In addition, it helped to reduce part turnaround time and eliminate part shortages.
• Led numerous global data mining, analysis, and metrics creation projects one of which was responsible for saving the company millions of dollars a year.
• Saved company $1.5 million annually by dramatically reducing the number of broken machines.
• Designed staffing model used to forecast staffing needs for new data-centers.
• Created a new-hire training program that went global and was eventually taken over by Google's education department.
• Proposed and implemented a weekend shift program.
• Deployed & managed a large scale testing program for server components.
• Performed more than 350 interviews.
• Improved communication and relationships globally.
• Managed first region in the organization to meet and exceed performance and operating goals.
• Responsible for the creation of numerous other initiatives and programs were eventually adopted or incorporated into larger programs/policies.
2004 to 2005
Built, QA'd, deployed, and maintained server and cluster infrastructure including racking and stacking switches, routers, and other networking hardware and also installing and troubleshooting Linux and OS related issues. Wrote process documentation. Interviewed possible candidates and trained new hires. Participated in on-call rotation and responded to and solved emergencies as they arose.
• Setup and deployed Google's first clusters in the Atlanta Area.
• Personally installed, tested, and released over 7,000 machines into production.
• Ran and installed several thousand feet of fiber and cat5 cables.
• QA team lead: ensured quality and timely release of new servers and clusters.
• Machine upgrade lead: coordinated and supervised large-scale server upgrades.
• Optimized QA floor space and layout resulting in increased throughput for team.
• Consistently achieved highest throughput metrics on the team.
• Received award for creating and implementing daily QA status report.
• First to create way to track power distribution of racks.
Technical Support Rep
2003 to 2004
Provide remote technical support for any and all hardware and software related issues for IBM ThinkPads.
• Resolved over 98% of calls at first point of contact.
• Consistently received exceptional feedback from customers and management.
• Troubleshot and resolved complex issues beyond the ability of my peers.
2003 to 2003
Manage store operations and staff (2 direct reports). Recruit and train new employees. Evaluate new hardware and software product possibilities. Assist owner with advertising and marketing. Build, repair, and maintain computers, laptops, and servers for customers in store and remotely.
• Revamped entire store network to improve speed and function.
• Improved layout of storefront to make more attractive to customers.
• Enhanced store reputation & profitability by providing high quality services and solutions.
1999 to 2003
Built, tested and installed custom PCs, laptops, and servers. Provided remote technical support to customers and repaired customers machines. Train new employees.
• Built over 10,000 PCs, laptops, and servers of varying configurations.
• Optimized testing process resulting in 2X output of computers with no increase in staff.
• Helped to build, test and set up several 64-node Beowulf clusters.
• Created training materials & process documentation.
• Consistently exceeded daily output requirements.
People Management: Mentoring, Training, Evaluating & Reviewing Performance • Global IT Operations • Cross Functional Team Management • Process Streamlining • Project Management • Program Management • Customer Service & Support • Interviews, Hiring & Terminations • Data-Center Knowledge & Experience • Help-Desk Ticketing Systems • 24 x 7 Mission Critical Operating Environments • Documentation Creation • Performance Metrics Creation & Development • Change Management • Software/Hardware Installation, Configuration, Troubleshooting & Testing • Server, PC/Laptop Building, Repair Diagnostics, Troubleshooting & Maintenance • Linux/Unix OS Distributions: Redhat, Suse, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, FreeBSD • Windows OS Family • Mac OS X Software & Hardware • Networking, DNS, DHCP, FTP, SSH, Switch & Router Configuration, Setup & Troubleshooting • Scripting Languages: PHP, HTML, Python, Bash, MySQL • Cluster Server & Infrastructure Deployment & Maintenance
• Introduction To Management for New Managers (AMA)
• Managing Multiple Priorities (Pryor)
• Getting Things Done (David Allen)
• Force10 Network Training (Force10)
• ITIL Foundation Certification (Currently Pursuing)
• Managing Within The Law