Over 8 years of IT management experience and 14+ years of overall software development experience.
Over 10 years of healthcare IT experience, primarily- though not exclusively- with Microsoft technology.
Deep experience with designing, developing, deploying, and managing projects of varying scope, from trivial departmental utilities to enterprise applications.
On some days I'm exercising my management acumen while on others I'm writing code. Regardless, I'm always trying to improve as a manager and as a developer. Currently my team and I prefer to use ASP.NET MVC and WebAPI, Angular.js, and jQuery. We try to be SOLID and DRY.
Willing to discuss relocation to Montana, Wyoming, or Western North Carolina.
Director of Application Development
December 2014 to Present (1 year, 8 months)
IT Healthcare Applications Manager
June 2011 to December 2014 (3 years, 6 months)
• Provided the overall technology vision and leadership for the Healthcare Information Technology (HIT) custom development team. Improved business operations efficiency and effectiveness by optimizing the use of information technology.
• Led development team responsible for developing and supporting .NET 4.0/4.5 applications, SQL Server 2008/2012 Reporting Services reports, extract, transform and load (ETL) processes, and healthcare systems integration.
• Planned and managed projects, ensured HIPAA and Sarbannes-Oxley compliance, and mentored developers. Established best practice policies and procedures surrounding Agile software development lifecycle. Saved company over $400,000 by not backfilling positions vacated through termination or transfers.
• Designed and developed software including but not limited to ASP.NET MVC web applications, Windows Services, and REST-based SOA applications. Acted as Team Foundation Server administrator.
Enterprise Solutions Group Manager
April 2005 to June 2011 (6 years, 2 months)
• Lead team composed of up to 13 developers charged with architecture and development of new Microsoft.NET
applications as well as supporting legacy software systems for a $1.3 billion healthcare company. Instilled
discipline where chaos reigned by establishing repeatable, standardized processes based on industry best
practices. Reduced staff size while increasing productivity and improving quality.
• Used iterative process to manage all phases of software development lifecycle. Established customer acceptance
policies and tools based on Windows Sharepoint Services (WSS) 3.0 and Team Foundation Server (TFS) 2008 to track user acceptance testing progress and feedback.
• Greatly improved deployment efficiency and reliability by constructing CruiseControl.NET / MSBuild continuous
integration solution for Windows Forms and ASP.NET application code, SQL Server Reporting Services files and
Oracle database objects. Releases that once took days now take minutes.
• Responsible for resource allocation, change management, audit reporting, server configuration, development and test environment setup, Team Foundation Server (TFS) version control administration, and production release
engineering and logistics.
• Developed new and supported existing C#-based .NET 1.1, 2.0, 3.5 SP1 and 4.0 ASP.NET Web Forms,
ASP.NET MVC, Windows Forms and WPF applications. Managed successful migration of line of business (LOB)
application from Oracle forms to .NET 3.5 SP1 on schedule and $900,000.00 under budget.
August 2004 to March 2005 (7 months)
• Converted existing ASP 3.0 user interface to ASP.NET, creating or updating SQL Server 2000 stored procedures
• Converted middle-tier data access components to Visual Basic.NET from Visual Basic 6.
• Generated detailed technical specifications.
October 2002 to July 2004 (1 year, 9 months)
• Acted as project manager and lead developer for Global Academic Screening Service. This 4-tier solution, written
exclusively in C#, used .NET remoting, ASP.NET, SQL Server 2000 and Windows Services to capture, transport and process business school applicant data for institutions such as Stanford, Yale, and University of California at
• Lead developer for the Online Entry Application project. Phase 1 involved development of a dynamically
generated ASP.NET website that allowed users to enter such data as address history, demographics,
employment history, and educational background and then submit this information directly to Kroll Background
America's (KBA) background screening system for verification. Phase 2 required development of a set of C# web
services for the interchange of XML to allow seamless integration between customer Human Resource systems and the background screening service. With the completion of Phase 2, customers now had the option of sending
their applicants to KBA to fill out applications or uploading already completed applicant data to KBA for verification. Both phases of the project involved used SQL Server 2000 as persistent data storage.
• Developed, maintained, and extended the functionality of corporate internet and intranet websites and their
associated content management tools using SQL Server 2000 full-text indexing and stored procedures, VB.NET,
expertise to other involved parties.
• Designed and created client-server and Windows Service applications for Windows 2000 Server using Visual
Basic 6 and .NET, C#, ADO.NET, and SQL Server 2000. These applications fulfilled corporate needs such as data aggregation, Active Directory maintenance, and email monitoring.
• Acted as project manager and developer for the Kroll Reference Source (KRS) project. Managed software
development, testing, and deployment by outside consulting firm and coordinated Interactive Voice Response
(IVR) software development by XO Communications. Used ASP.NET, VB.NET and XML to develop a high- availability Web Service that functions as the interface between IVR software and the KRS SQL Server 2000
database. Also developed VB.NET/ SQL Server 2000/RightFax Windows Service integration solution to automate the sending of faxes generated by the usage of the KRS IVR interface.
December 2000 to August 2002 (1 year, 8 months)
• Developed dynamic, database driven sites such as The Upper Room, MethodX, LeftBehind and ForeFront
• Developed two high-availability systems to track user interactivity with Flash and other rich media online
advertisements. Both of these projects used PHP and MySQL databases and were hosted on Red Hat Linux 7.2
platforms. Wrote shell scripts to automate disaster recovery, database backup, and version control.
March 1999 to November 2000 (1 year, 8 months)
applications utilized legacy data stores such as a PeopleSoft DB2 database as well as Microsoft SQL Server
version 6.5 and 7. These applications were distributed to users using NetDynamics version 4.x Java-based
application server, Microsoft IIS 4 web server, and Windows NT 4.0 Server.
VBScript, CSS, and MTS. Created Java COM objects to centralize and store session data. Databases used were
SQL Server 6.5 and 7. These applications were hosted and distributed from Windows NT 4.0 Server.
• Created and supported client/server applications using Visual Basic 6. These applications were created in order to satisfy specific niche user needs that browser based technologies could not, such as aesthetically pleasing
March 1998 to February 1999 (11 months)
• Developed new and supported existing M ("MUMPS") applications running in AIX and OpenVMS environments.
• Created new and maintained existing Electronic Data Interchange interfaces to AIX and OpenVMS platforms.
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
Technical Skills Summary
Skill Years used Last Used
Active Server Pages 2.0/3.0 (Classic ASP) 5 2005
ASP.NET Web Forms 7 2010
ASP.NET MVC 2 2013
CruiseControl.NET 4 2011
HTML 13 2013
Java 2 2001
jQuery 4 2013
Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) 13 2013
Microsoft SQL Server […] 13 2013
Microsoft Visual C# .NET 10 2013
Microsoft Visual SourceSafe (VSS) 7 2009
Microsoft Visual Studio 15 2013
Microsoft Windows Powershell 5 2013
MongoDB 1 2013
MSBuild 6 2013
Oracle Database (8i, 9i, 10g, 11g) 6 2013
PHP 3 2004
Structured Query Language (SQL) 13 2013
Team Foundation System 6 2013
Visual Basic .NET (VB.NET) 9 2011
WCF 4 2012
Windows Installer XML (WiX) 1 2013
WPF 3 2012
XML 9 2013