IT professional experienced in all aspects of business application development, support and management. Career includes application design and development, management of direct reports, project teams and portfolios and direct responsibility to the business for comprehensive IT support.
➢ Team building, leadership and strong relationships
➢ Analysis as applied to problem identification, business requirements and process
Technical Project Lead
August 2013 to Present
Manage projects to implement or change infrastructure and business applications. Projects support Call Center, Emergency Riadside Service, Claims Legal, and integration of new clubs into existing systems. Waterfall and quasi-Agile methodology.
February 2013 to August 2013
Contracted to manage customization and implementation of third party real estate mortgage loan application in short time frame. Customizations required interpretation of new regulations, and redesigning application to support them. Application was implemented and rolled out to business successfully in the desired time frame.
Technical Project Manager
June 2006 to February 2013
Project manager for biotechnology company which manufactures, sells and distributes instruments, supplies and services to the scientific community worldwide. Manage projects from inception through closure following PMI-based project management methodology. Manage relationship with business, resource managers and vendors, define and request project, estimate required resources, manage or perform business requirements, manage development team, prepare all project management documentation, attend project reviews, create and distribute/present status reports to multiple audiences, plan each stage of project, lead team to execute plan, work with business to create new business process and training materials. Lead infrastructure team to design, acquire, and implement infrastructure as needed per project. Managed the following projects:
• Implement Automatic Data Transfer between Life Technologies and outside customer. Middleware infrastructure and application to transfer intellectual property from internal application to customer database electronically and automatically. Included Oracle Fusion middleware application and complex infrastructure.
• Implement Electronic Notebook System to protect and utilize intellectual property. Included selection and configuration of S/W (Symyx/Accelrys), infrastructure design and build, and new business processes. Infrastructure included 8 physical and virtual servers, database, and presentation layer to serve three sites.
• Implement customer ordering tool. Includes web UI and middleware between web and business application. Allows web to recognize customer at order time and tailor the online order process to the customer. Automates manual processes to enable growth in business. Project team included business-side application developers, Oracle Fusion middleware developers, BA and QA resources.
• Implement product selection tool on commercial web site. Tool asks questions regarding number of users, length of term, whether application or data are to be shared, etc, and makes specific license recommendation with option to order online. Project team included internal and contract analysts and multi-disciplinary development team (Day, JAVA, Comergent, JDE E1).
• Implement internal tool to streamline and automate new product introduction (NPI). Replaced 27 forms and files with one, reduced manual data entry by 80%. Automated generation of 27 forms and files still required by other parts of the business. Performed process and data analysis in R&D, product management, manufacturing, finance, pricing, EH&S, marketing, royalties, eCommerce, JD Edwards Enterprise One (E1), and Agile teams. Managed JAVA developer and project team.
• Implement software license management tool to allow proactive selling of license renewals. System joins license sales data with license creation data. Performed business analysis, managed internal and overseas developers of JDE E1, EDW and KMS licensing system.
• Implement Certificate of Analysis (CofA) authoring tool. Tool allows business to define hierarchical structure and format for customer-facing document containing data specific to product line, product and lot. Tool prompts each user for appropriate data and approvals, generates and stores CofA certificate.
• Participated in other projects: JDE E1 implementation and conversion, Agile eDMS implementation
• Project management tools used: Serena, Documentum, Agile, HPQC, MS Project
Project Manager (Consultant)
November 2005 to April 2006
Project manager for mortgage loan institution. Engaged with eight ongoing projects to prepare project documentation as required by newly implemented methodology, FASTER PM, based on Six Sigma concepts. Filed required documentation with PMO. Assisted PMO to fine-tune the new methodology and training materials. Managed the documents, meetings and analysts for the following projects:
• Automate upload of external data for Fair Isaacs marketing campaigns.
• Develop customer referral database.
• Build data clearinghouse and dashboards based on business intelligence concepts.
Manager, Information Technology Applications
January 2004 to September 2005
Manager for mortgage services company. Hired as direct report by CIO to repair poor IT reputation with business, poor staff morale and poor performance of application support teams. Managed multiple application support teams. Directly responsible to business units for IT support. Responsible for budget and staff (development, evaluations, hiring/firing). Participated with VPs and other direct reports of CIO in weekly management meetings.
In one quarter, achieved 97% rating from the business, earned commitment and allegiance of the application support teams, and the trust of the CIO.
• Established open and frequent communication with the business units
• Established project request and prioritization process with the business units
• Established performance tracking and reporting mechanism
• Engaged application teams to identify group issues, prioritize, brainstorm and resolve
• Lead teams through culture changes associated with acquisition of company
• Implemented time reporting to track and characterize utilization and performance of teams
• Implemented Sarbanes-Oxley controls
• Developed templates and standards for project management based on PMI concepts.
Project Manager, Infrastructure (Consultant)
August 2003 to January 2004
Managed project to implement infrastructure for Enterprise Document Management system. Assembled multi-discipline project team (infrastructure, internal application manager, software vendor), developed plan, lead team through execution of plan, communicated to stakeholders. Finished before deadline, utilized less than allowed budget. Additional assignments: manage transition of support of Media Asset Management system from consulting firm to internal staff; requirements analysis for new global time management system; and resource utilization reporting.
2000 to 2002
Progression from Application Developer to Sr. Manager
1987 to 2002
1998 to 2000
1995 to 1997
1991 to 1995
Application Developer/Business Analyst
1987 to 1991
Sr. Manager for large entertainment company. Level of responsibility increased, and area of responsibility varied over time. Primarily supported Studio Operations and its departments, but also supported Television division for one large project (Elements System), and supported all divisions using the corporate systems I was responsible for early in my tenure at Universal (Accounts Payable).
• Business support: understand the business, their challenges, direction, and IT needs; help them request IT support, prioritize projects, and utilize IT effectively. Area of responsibility grew from portions of departments as a programmer to the entire Studio Division.
• Business portfolio management: ensure that the systems are stable, properly maintained, documented, and executed properly; monthly, annual and long-term planning and budgeting. Areas of expertise include Accounts Payable, Travel , Tax Reporting, Telecom Billing, Film Library, Raw Stock, Sound Department, Post Production, Technical Services, Corporate Records
• Project management: manage process from project definition through implementation, including writing business requirements, project plan, status reports, training materials; performing vendor selection, negotiation, and management; management of contract developers; engagement and management of operations and infrastructure teams from planning through implementation.
• Staff management (employee, contractor and vendor): assignment of work, status reporting, mentoring, development, evaluations, hiring/firing, and all H/R administration such as visas and sponsorship. Size of staff grew from 1 to 16.
• Interim director, organized and stabilized Studio Division IT staff, projects and budget after reorganization. Established budget, staff documentation, reporting structure, staff responsibilities, and communications to business and IT management. Managed division for two years, gave clean and complete turnover to incoming director.
• Rewrite Travel Payments System - performed as PM, BA and developer
• Develop Vendor Payments System - performed as PM, BA and developer
• Develop Corporate Tax Reporting System - performed as PM, BA and developer
• Develop Raw Film Stock System - performed as PM and BA (managed contract developer)
• Develop Master Ordering System (Contractor) - performed as PM and BA (managed contract developer)
• Implement 3rd party On-Line Ordering System (Ungerboeck) - performed as PM and BA (managed 3rd party developer)
• Implement Post Production Scheduling System (ScheduAll) - performed as PM and BA (liaison to 3rd party PM)
• Implement Document Management System - performed as BA
• Implement Television Elements System (JDE One World) - performed as BA
• Implemented Disaster Recovery and SOX controls - performed as PM, BA and developer
Senior Programmer / Analyst, Information Technology
1982 to 1987
Developed and supported applications for Claims, Accounts Payable, Hospital Bed Monitoring, and Marketing. Business liaison and business analyst for all business units.
• Served as interim manager of the IT department, responsible for fielding and distributing all user requests, also responsible for the application development staff.
• Performed business requirements analysis, systems analysis, development, testing, implementation, user training and support for above applications.
• Performed data design, and database administration tasks.
• Developed SDM.
• Participated as analyst/programmer on project to convert in-house Payroll system to MSA package.
• Designed, developed and implemented marketing demographic reporting system per needs of company president.
• Participated as programmer/analyst in the migration of our applications from a service bureau to our in-house mainframe system.
• Participated as programmer/analyst in the conversion from DOS to OS operating system.
• Organized and conducted programmer training.
Teledyne Systems, Northridge, CA.
Intellectron, Inc, Van Nuys, CA.
UCSD, La Jolla, CA.