A position in Water/Wastewater Engineering I have many years experience working in water/wastewater, am a PE and a certified operator, and have operated plants. Have worked in municipal govt, industry, and engineering consulting. Also have extensive experience with public speaking, group leadership, mentoring. Have sold home and ready to relocate if necessary.
2006 to Present
Working as civil/environmental consultant. Currently serving as Project Manager to replace major lift station and install screening. Also conducting pilot study for anaerobic treatment system of difficult surfactant wastewater. Project manager for design and construction of municipal 200,000 gallon water tower, disinfection facilities, 2-mile water distribution system, 1-mile sanitary sewers and force mains for Town of Hamlet, IN. Analyzed wastewater treatment options and made recommendations for A&A Sheet Metal Products, LaPorte, IN. Design and construction of $1MM municipal storm sewer system upgrades for Town of Kewanna, IN and Hamlet, IN. Project manager for design and construction of secondary treatment on-site system for Baileys, large commercial facility near North Judson, IN. Provide regular O&M for four secondary treatment on-site systems. Regularly attend Northern Indiana Operators Association meetings to maintain wastewater operator CEU's. Spoke at 2007 IWEA Conference, two sessions. Also involved with drainage design projects, Rule 5 submissions, other environmental issues, along with wide variety of civil engineering applications such as buildings, railyards, etc.
2004 to 2006
Worked as civil/environmental consultant. Design of sludge drying beds for Lapaz, IN. Served as Project Engineer for municipal 200,000 gal Water Tower construction & major 0.25 MGD Water Treatment Plant upgrade for Town of Argos, IN, along with 200,000 gpd lagoon system wastewater treatment upgrade for Bourbon, IN. Performed drainage studies and design incl. Rule 5 submissions. Design sanitary/ storm sewer systems/ water lines/ on-site systems. Design concrete foundations, retaining walls, etc. Design of steel structure for manufacturing plants. NPDES permit applications. IDEM sewer/water construction permit applications. Phase I Environmental Site Assessment. 106 Reviews. Design of Sporting Clays shooting range incl. Lead Environmental Management Plan for Swan Lake Resort, Plymouth, IN. Structural evaluations.
2002 to 2004
and Jones & Henry Engineers, Ltd, Toledo, OH: Worked as civil/environmental consultant. Wrote an O&M manual for Warsaw, IN 3.0 MGD municipal wastewater treatment plant, including operation of belt filter presses. Also assisted in the development of a Storm Drainage Utility for Warsaw. Authored Sanitary Sewer and Drainage Ordinances for City of Knox, IN. Involved with subdivision layout and other building site design, including roadways and sanitary & storm sewer systems for both private and public clients. Drainage design projects incl. Rule 5 submissions.
1991 to 2004
100-140)over 13 year period: Large group teaching responsibilities typically 4 to 5 times per week. Small group and individual mentoring, large and small group leadership, management of volunteer work force in all matters, conflict management (both large and small group), oversight of budget. Throughout period, served on boards of state affiliation and youth camp. Provided direction for replacement of camp's wastewater system.
1988 to 1991
Maple Plains, MN: Computer design for inlet system to lake quality nutrient reduction artificial wetland and for drainage system for chain of lakes. Worked with lake quality projects such as dredging, algae control, phosphorus detection. Developed specifications for asbestos/PCB removal project at University of Minnesota. Evaluated wastewater treatment plants in US and Taiwan. Worked with groundwater remediation projects and landfill closure.
1982 to 1988
Hired to supervise the company's 1 MGD wastewater pretreatment plant which was experiencing frequent effluent violations. Over six year period, moved operation to nearly perfect compliance record and cut annual operating costs by nearly $1 million as flows increased to 1.5 MGD. Work involved both aerobic and anaerobic treatment, major construction of 7 MG anaerobic system with biogas recovery, equipment maintenance and upgrade, testing and flow monitoring, and oversight of the centrifuged biosolids land management program, operation and maintenance of air quality control equipment, NPDES application, SARA Title II filings, and all other environmental issues involved in operation of the manufacturing facilities. Established and implemented department wide preventive maintenance program. Also occasionally involved in projects involving other Staley facilities in Indiana, Illinois, Maine and Tennessee. Responsible for all communication with City of Lafayette and Indiana Department of Environmental Management.
1980 to 1982
Monitoring and communication with local industries such as A.E. Staley Mfg Co, General Foods, Caterpillar Tractor Company, Pillsbury, etc., implementing city's Industrial Pretreatment Program. Also was involved in operation and maintenance of the city's 16 MGD wastewater treatment facility and worked extensively with sewer maintenance and mapping. Also oversaw the City's biosolids land management program.
1976 to 1980
for major sanitary and storm sewer construction projects in Michigan and Ohio. Some design of wastewater treatment unit processes. Served as lab technician for Purdue EPA study, "Biodegradability of Priority Pollutants."
AREAS OF GREATEST POTENTIAL CONTRIBUTION
1. Have worked in all three sectors: government, consulting, and manufacturing. Comfortable communicating with both regulatory personnel and all kinds of clients as required for the various issues involved throughout project lifetimes.
2. Over period of time, can develop lasting client relationships especially in sewer, wastewater and water treatment projects, including municipalities and private and industrial applications. Very comfortable building relationships particularly with small towns and cities.
3. Extensive experience in design, construction, and maintenance of sewer systems, both sanitary and storm.
4. Extensive experience in wastewater treatment operation with some design & construction. Can provide all services required to insure optimal design and operation of wastewater treatment systems. Also can and have designed and constructed water treatment applications, including water tower designs.
5. Enjoy paperwork involved in environmental reporting (NPDES Permits, IDEM applications, SARA Title II, etc.) and other applications, such as 106 and NEPA Reviews, Phase 1 Environmental Site Assessments, etc. Could relieve client staff of these duties, freeing them to contribute in the area of their strengths.
6. Comfortable with public speaking and teaching assignments along with writing of reports and documents. Could use teaching and writing skills to promote company, enhance marketing.
7. Enjoy troubleshooting of failing parts, machines and/or processes. Can analyze existing facilities, strategically repair, upgrade and replace as necessary to improve effectiveness and reduce costs. This can be in environmental applications but also throughout utility or manufacturing plants.
8. Able to work with all kinds of environmental concerns based on wide variety of engineering experience since 1976. Have been involved one way or another with almost every possible area of environmental engineering. Could apply experience to whole range of water use, treatment, and re-use/recycling.
9. Particularly enjoy working with young people, mentoring, encouraging, seeing them pursue their true potential. Would love to be involved with public speaking assignments to encourage young people to pursue careers in our clean water industry. Also would love to help operators gain certification.
Master of Divinity
Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering/Environmental Major
Computer Skills: Very adept with Internet Search, Excel Spreadsheets and Microsoft Word. Moderate skills with AutoCAD. Some experience with Access.