San Diego, CA
• Chief Legal Counsel to Kinko’s Copies, the leading US retail chain in its industry, with over 13 years of extensive corporate, real estate and legal management experience.
• Lead real estate counsel to Nextel Communications, Inc. (now Sprint-Nextel) and Cricket Communications, Inc., two publicly traded telecommunications companies for 10 years.
• Chief Appellate Officer and Assistant District Attorney for 5 years, responsible for all appeals.
• Creative private practitioner with unique problem solving capabilities, focusing on business and real estate transactions
2011 to Present
Seasoned business and real estate lawyer. Practice is limited to business and real estate planning and transactions.
February 2004 to 2011
Senior Counsel, Cricket Communications, Inc. (2004-2011)
• Served as lead real estate counsel to Cricket Communications, Inc., a national wireless telecommunications company and operating subsidiary of Leap Wireless International, Inc. based in San Diego, California.
• Provided expert legal and business advice to senior management regarding the company's extensive portfolio of real estate leases, including approximately 9,500 cellular transmission sites, 300+ retail stores, telecommunications switch facilities, administrative offices and warehouses located throughout the US.
• Developed strategies, procedures and standardized documents to effectively deliver the required legal and business services to the company and its business units.
• Selected and managed outside law firms; worked closely with the company’s real estate department and outside brokers to structure and negotiate a wide variety of real estate transactions.
• Structured and negotiated the sale/lease-back of the company's entire cell tower inventory.
• Led the negotiations for the acquisition of the company’s 205,000 sf headquarters.
1999 to 2002
Served as senior counsel to Nextel Communications, Inc., an international wireless telecommunications company. Provided expert legal and business advice to senior management for a large portfolio of diversified real estate properties and facilities consisting of over 6 million square feet located throughout the United States. Managed the roll-out of 250 retail stores for calendar year 2002. Advised and negotiated terms and conditions for sophisticated telecommunications facilities, including switches, call centers, data centers, as well as traditional office, warehouse, customer care/service centers and retail stores. Negotiated and implemented special complex transactions including economic incentive agreements with municipalities, economic development entities and other governmental agencies to induce the company to locate in particular geographic locations. Negotiated and implemented allied real estate agreements with outside vendors, including real estate lease bonds, master real estate brokerage and construction management agreements, and environmental engineering firms needed by the company. Developed strategies, procedures and standardized documents to more effectively deliver the required legal and business services to the company. Managed outside law firms and outside public accounting firms to assist with real estate transactions, litigation and other special needs of the company.
Chief Legal Counsel, Real Estate and Business Advisor
1983 to January 1997
Chief Legal Counsel, Real Estate and Business Advisor to Kinko’s Copies, Ventura, CA (1983-1996)
• Served as chief legal counsel to Kinko’s Copies (now FedEx Office), a national copy center chain, as well as real estate executive and business counselor providing advice on all aspects of legal, real estate and certain business operations.
• Created Kinko’s site selection process, and negotiated and supervised the acquisition of over 1,000 commercial leases. Personally negotiated major vendor agreements with special emphasis on minimizing capital outlays to accelerate rapid store openings.
• Negotiated and prepared master agreements and master equipment leases and service agreements with major vendors to meet company’s changing needs, and developed procedures to minimize legal exposure.
• Managed the national real estate brokerage function and all of the outside counsel needs of the company.
• Conducted search for and negotiated the acquisition of the $10 million world headquarters and prepared
confidential private placement securities memorandum to fund the acquisition of this project.
• Formed over 100 Kinko’s business operating entities throughout the U.S. in accordance with applicable state laws utilizing unique business structure to provide new equity owners with exclusive opportunities to operate Kinko’s stores within a specified geographical territory.
• Structured and negotiated the first public access to video teleconferencing services to Kinko’s customers throughout the United States as a joint venture agreement between Kinko’s and Sprint.
• Structured and negotiated major equipment lease agreements between Kinko’s and various equipment vendors and equipment leasing companies, including Xerox and Kodak, using unique provisions for automatic assignments to the ultimate operating entity with recourse, thereby providing vendor with security for equipment and resulting in expedited installation of equipment for Kinko’s operators throughout the United States.
LL.M. in Taxation
J.D. in California State Bar
B.S. in Business Management
State Bar of California
1981 to Present
State Bar of Pennsylvania
Licensed California Real Estate Broker