August 2012 to Present
Integral team member to ensure successful transition of data from Land and Lakes Company to Waste Management.
• Collaborate closely with the billing department to ensure all customers are accounted for in the new system and reported in the correct revenue line.
• Partner with the accounting department to ensure final revenue and expenses are accurately allocated between Waste Management and Land and Lakes Company.
• Manage true-up of A/R balances by working closely with customers and management for a clean transition.
Controller, Asst Controller, Sr Acct, Staff Accountant
July 1992 to July 2012
Responsibilities as Controller for Land and Lakes and Affiliates:
• Collaborated with CFO regarding cash flow requirements and cash management among the affiliated companies.
• Prepared and entered month and year-end closing journal entries. Month-end close for all companies was completed within 3 business days.
• Prepared internal financial statements including cash flow statements at year end.
• Prepared work papers for annual financial audit. Acted as liaison to the auditors and aided in completing their requested reports. Reviewed and entered the adjusting entries upon completion.
• Supervised the accounting department consisting of 3 - 4 employees including the A/P and A/R division.
• Managed the general ledger and chart of accounts. Reconciled all general ledger accounts at month and year-end.
• Managed fixed assets and depreciation schedules.
• Assisted in coordinating and preparing closing documents for the land development division.
• Prepared monthly Illinois Sales and Use Tax reports and City of Chicago Sales Tax Report.
• Analyzed and prepared the quarterly IEPA & county disposal fees. Improved reporting by identifying errors within the software to accurately submit data.
• Prepared Form 1099's and related reports for year-end.
• Performed monthly bank reconciliations including reconciling site cash accounts.
Responsibilities as Assistant Controller for Land and Lakes Disposal Services:
• Supervised and trained the accounts receivable department consisting of 2 employees and responsible for the performance reviews. Coordinated the invoicing and collections for over 4,000 customers. Responsible for working with customers in resolving service and billing issues and establishing credit on account.
• Collaborated with the General Manager, Operations Manager, and Sales Manager to meet monthly budget goals.
• Developed and presented to the CFO and management the results of operations and variances to budget.
• Prepared partial and final lien waivers for customers as requested for worked completed.
• Prepared various cost accounting reports to analyze route profitability. Worked with the operations manager to reduce cost of routes.
• Prepared work papers at year-end in preparation for annual audit for the hauling company and related companies.
• Assisted in establishing new software (I-Pak) to computerize billing and operations for the hauling division.
• Improved the collections process of A/R by computerizing and establishing a written guide that was implemented for the billing and collections procedures.
January 1998 to November 1999
Managed accounts payable and daily sales and communicated data to 3rd party accountant at month- end.
• Collaborated with co-owner daily cash requirements.
• Assisted in purchasing merchandise for the shop.
• Verified merchandise, organized shop, and performed month-end inventory.
• Assisted in organizing golf events.
B.S. in Accounting
Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, Sage PFW ERP, Microsoft FRx Analytics, Insight Environmental Software, Crystal Reports 11.0, I-Pak
Certified Public Accountant – May, 1992
License No. […] – Expires […]
Notary Public; State of Illinois
Commission No. 768750 – Expires […]