To direct or work collaboratively in marketing to clients where there is a demand for radical thinking, daring solutions and successful short- and long-term results.
DESIGN and FACILITIES MANAGEMENT Director of Architecture Group
June 2006 to Present
REAL ESTATE DEVELOPMENT and CONSULTING Principal
April 2003 to June 2006
Director for Strategic Facilities Development and Evaluation
June 2001 to April 2003
Statewide Program Director for Facilities Predesign 2/1993-6/2001
Education Facilities Specialist
January 1992 to February 1993
• Developed a strategic plan for the relocation of 4-6 million square feet of state offices into a central campus to reduce agency redundancies and improve intra-agency communications. Implemented first $250-million phase of the plan by utilizing the local port authority as a funding mechanism. Completed in the Spring of 2006.
• Redirected the State of Minnesota policy of leasing space toward that of ownership for its major facilities. The expectation is that facilities owned reduce the long-term cost of operating by 60-80%.
• Formulated and directed a team comprised of Hines Real Estate Trust and Perkins+Will Architects for a proposal of approximately $350 million of mixed-use development in downtown St. Paul, MN. The proposal was responding to separate requests from the City of St. Paul for redevelopment and the State of Minnesota for 400,000 feet of office space.
• Served as the Department of Administration representative in the development of capital bonding bills ($800 million to $1.4 billion) from 1994-2002.
• Directed the development and managed Minnesota's "Predesign Program." This process brings under control cost, schedule, and scope of capital projects prior to funding for construction, removing the need for unexpected subsequent funding. This process was given partial credit for major improvement in the state's credit rating.
• Developed the vision and directed the implementation of Minnesota's "Sustainable Guidelines." These are the first in the nation to draw a demonstrable link between the "green benefits" of sustainable building to the productivity of the employees and the business.
• Initiated a coordinated effort between the Departments of Administration and Finance to combine their multiple, non-linked databases that related to some 6,500 state-owned properties. This involved bringing together competing divisions that dealt with real estate, central plant maintenance, agency-specific maintenance, operating budgets, information technology, demography, and the state's Geographical Information System.
REAL ESTATE DEVELOPMENT and CONSULTING
January 1991 to September 1991
Special Assistant to the CEO, A joint venture of CRSS/WRJ
June 1990 to September 1990
Lead Architectural Programmer, A joint venture of CRSS/WRJ
March 1989 to June 1990
August 1988 to March 1989
Partner, Innovative Environments, Raleigh, NC 6/1980-6/1982
October 1987 to April 1988
December 1984 to August 1987
• Served as the senior staff liaison to the joint venture CEO of CRSS/WRJ for the $1.6 billion remodeling and new construction of Dade County Schools in greater Miami, Florida. As a Lead Architectural Programmer, directed the programming effort for scope definition of fifteen K-12 school remodeling projects in Dade County.
• Participated in the selection of architects and consultants for both programming and design for over three hundred (300) State of Minnesota construction projects.
• Directed and managed the first space utilization survey for a Department of Army base that identified space use for approximately 4.3 million square feet of facilities. The work was conducted in an ultra high secure environment that was performing communications research for the Army worldwide. Project completed on time and on budget.
• Responsible for the marketing of Building Performance Standards and consulting services to architects in the upper mid-west.
TEACHING and EDUCATIONAL ADMINISTRATION
August 1985 to December 1985
August 1983 to June 1984
August 1982 to June 1983
June 1978 to May 1980
• Directed and brokered a proposal vision for $350 million of multi-use development for St. Paul, Minnesota, including government offices, commercial/big box retail, and housing.
• Developed multi-unit housing proposal for Northfield, Minnesota.
• Managed the leasing of space for a development arm of an architectural firm specializing in revitalization.
• Served as the assistant to the State Preservation Architect for Idaho.
• Managed multiple facets for two design practices.
DESIGN and FACILITIES MANAGEMENT
Director, Community Design Center
July 1977 to June 1978
• Developed and directed the first community design center for the State of Idaho.
• Directed and consulted west slope communities in Colorado on planning and design.
• Organized community based learning experiences for students in Idaho, North Carolina, Arizona, and Colorado.
• Taught classes in professional practice, graphics, design process, and studio design in both architecture and interior departments.
MBA in Government
Master of Architecture
Bachelor of Architecture
B.E.D. in Architecture
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Government Sector (State and county level) Private Sector
♦ Capital budget development
♦ Policy development
♦ Strategic planning/facility development
♦ Program management
♦ Community development
♦ Project management
♦ Facility management