Visionary, quality-focused human resources leader and senior management member credited with $400,000 savings through efficiency and process improvements affecting benefits, communications, and labor practices. I am fluent in labor & employee relations to meet corporate goals.
Director of Human Resources
2010 to Present
• Acting Chief Administrative Officer
• Leader of HR team
• Revamp Personnel Policies
• Lead negotiator
• Implementation of GEMS HRIS program
• Employee and Labor Relations
• Organizational Development
Director of Human Resources, Labor Management, and Safety
2004 to 2009
• Leader of HR group: HR Generalist, Benefits Specialist, & File Clerk/Assistant
• Member of the Senior management team.
• Hands-on human resources professional known for deliberate and focused approach, with frequent
accolades for successful labor negotiations (lead negotiator), reduction of benefit cost, and collaborating with external groups including insurance brokers, mediators, labor groups, and attorneys. Perfect CMS survey and head recruiter.
• Active leadership role in ADA/FMLA/FLSA/EEOC
• Supervision of payroll/benefits - changes in benefits recently saved hospital over $60,000 per year.
• Co-chair of labor/management team (resolve numerous Union issues)
• Progressive oversight of health insurance - recognized for changes in plan and implementation of drug card resulted in $300,000 plus savings per year.
• Dramatic results in implementing changes in benefits and other issues that resulted in better coverage and lower costs in the area of life insurance, workers compensation, cellular phones, and pagers.
• Chair of Hospital Activities Committee - provides employee morale incentives.
• Vast leadership experience as a long-time member of a City Council (President for 8 years) and County Administrator.
• Masters Degree in Business Administration assists in a senior management role.
Administrative Coordinator/Human Resources Director (County Manager)
2000 to 2004
• Negotiated dramatic changes in health insurance coverage saving the County over $300,000 annually
• Directs preparing $43 million annual County Budget
• Implements directives of the County Board, Committees and Commissions.
• Manages and performs activities related to personnel, safety, publications, risk management, data processing, lead negotiator, and other areas of labor relations including arbitrations, hiring, recruiting, and disciplinary.
Human Resources Manager and IS & Maintenance Manager for Taylor County WI
1998 to 2000
• Spooner, WI - Cooperative - contracts employees to local governments - Taylor County - 275 employees
1998 - 2000
• Performed all Human Resources functions including negotiation, arbitration, disciplinary, recruiting, and hiring.
• Restructured the Human Resources Department
• Lead negotiator settling labor agreements with 5 bargaining units.
Human Resources/Safety & Fire Protection Technician - Union President
1977 to 1998
paper) - 1250 employees
• Performed shift supervision.
• Administered departmental scheduling & call in procedures.
• Worked directly with corporate fire protection, safety & security as well as with insurance carrier and local emergency agencies.
• Co-chaired Labor/Management Leadership committee.
• Established Join Labor/Management Safety Committee; resulting in a decline of our OIR from 11.0-3.5.
• Involved in all hiring; both salaried and hourly as well as recommendations for salaried promotions.
• Handled all grievances.
• Investigated, prepared, and presented all arbitration cases.
• Negotiated 5-year labor contract, Incentive pension & severance packages, and multi-skilled
• Established Teams/Team Concept; attended numerous seminars.
• Contributed to weekly management staff meetings, met with corporate leadership; Divisional Presidents and Vice Presidents.
• Worked directly with Compensation Manager on issues dealing with payroll, insurance, workers compensation, and pension.
• Lobbied in Washington, DC with politicians and the Justice Department.
B.A. in Business Administration
MBA in Business Administration