A Senior Electrical Controls Engineer / Project Manager, w/ BSEE. Extensive experience as a Project Manager and PLC / HMI Automation Systems Integrator including 32+ years of experience with HMI, SCADA, DCS, PLC Controls, panel / system design, programming, and start-up within a variety of industries and applications. My experience includes project & personnel management. I can manage, design, build, program and commission a new system or improve an existing system. I am open to any kind of perm or contract employment.
Willing to relocate: Anywhere
Authorized to work in the US for any employer
Sr. Project Controls Engineer / Manager
January 2012 to Present
FTView to Inductive Automation conversion project for water treatment plant.
Managed a team of 6 to convert FTView SE 7.0 to IA 7.8. Commissioned IA and provided on-site IA training. Configured SQL, IA, and Tofino Firewalls. Added IA MES configuration for OEE, SPC, Recipe Modules.
• Designed multiple PLC control and operation panels. Developed Allen Bradley Compact, Micro, 1756, 1747 PLCs, with RS Logix 5000 and Studio 5000 Logix, Studio 5000 View. Used DeviceNet, ControlNet, DNP3, Modbus, ProfiBus, and EtherNet communications.
• Developed FactoryTalk View SE HMI v8.0. Configured FactoryTalk Historian SE. Developed Wonderware HMI with Intouch and Archestra. Constructed and installed multiple NEMA 4X panels with plant interfacing communications and I/O. PLC panel and software interfaced with existing plant systems for supervisory status and control (SCADA ). Designed and Retro-fitted control systems to conform with NEC, NFPA, and UL508. Provided fully commissioned and validated systems with training manuals. Managed vendor installation, purchasing, and scheduling.
Project Manager for D.O.E. Ignition Automation Project:
• Conversion and integration of an Ignition Automation project with over 5,000 different OPC tag points monitoring an entire Nuclear Facility monitoring system.
• Redundant Ignition Gateway implementation with Microsoft SQL historical storage with the Ignition SQL Bridge module and Reporting Module for quick sensor output modeling and tracking
• Scheduling and delivering of critical plant processes and alerts utilizing SMTP mail servers and automatically generated PDF reports
• Added custom Jython scripting to specific OPC tags for the purpose of unique sensor calculations for linear, logarithmic, and statistical analysis of plant monitoring and control
• Developed custom interface designs to meet facility Operations and Maintenance needs and ISA 18.2 Alarm Management Standards
EDF-Renewable Energy, Sr Scada Engineer San Diego, CA
• Scada-Controls Project Manager for multiple energy projects including Wind 100-200 MW (GE and Vestas turbines), Solar 20 MW( SMA inverters, others ), and BioGas (Allen Bradley PLC, FactoryTalk RSView SE ver.8 HMI, Historian).
• Managed, scheduled, and organized all subcontractors and data off-takers via weekly teleconferences and site meetings to keep projects within budget and on-time.
• Managed all aspects of projects including planning, permitting, and commissioning for: data paths, protocols, scada points, QSE (requirements, testing, and test date coordination), RIG testing, metering, metering compensation, control house racking, MS servers, PI servers, routers, Cisco switches, fiber switches, VLAN configurations, fiber installation, met stations, data loggers, and microwave towers.
• Lead SCADA support Engineer for OSI Monarch scada system. Configured data integration for DNP, Modbus, and OPC data. Configured HMI screens, configured backup schemas. On-call support for remote servers that communicate to central control system.
PacifiCorp Portland, Or.
• Sr. Substation SCADA Controls Engineer / Consultant. Configured the GE-D20 RTU, the SEL-2440 RTAC and misc SEL ( Schweitzer ) relays / IED for multiple substation upgrades / modification projects.
• Designed communication panels, coordinated technicians, consultants and local trades. Supervised testing and start-ups.
• Substation project engineer on co-generation project. Designed communication and power relay interface panels. Configured DNP 3 interfacing for IEDs. Configured the GE D20 RTUs to interface with the ABB Ranger DCS system.
• Configured the Allen Bradley Micrologix 1400 to interface with the GE D20 RTU via DNP 3.0 protocol for substation SCADA applications.
March 2009 to Present
Dublin, CA. Mar 2009-May 2010
• Designed and managed projects for SCADA / MES system architecture and plant-floor control system architecture for food, beverage, government and chemical process clients.
• Configured Wonderware Intouch 10.1, Archestra IAS 3.0. servers with plant-wide Ethernet systems.
• Configured WW Information Server for Reporting, Data Historian, and for Web portal uses.
• Designed and configured Allen Bradley plant-floor controls communication and I/O systems.
• Designed and configured AB Sercos fiber networks for motion control (servos and drives). Subcontracted panel design and build, AB PLC programming, HMI screen development and Ethernet networking consultants.
• Created proposals, Requests for Proposals (RFPs) and Requests for Quote (RFQs), BOM's, Contracts, etc.
• Managed and commissioned all projects from MES to plant I/O.
• Managed maintenance personnel and schedules ( configured MAPCON maintenance management software, CMMS ).
• Performed FEMA, ( failure mode and effects analysis ) for use in IsoGraph RCM software.
Sr. Project Controls Engineer / SME / Project Manager
April 2011 to December 2011
for D.O.E Project.
• Radioactive Waste Plant commissioning project.
• Developed and re-wrote Allen Bradley Factory Talk HMI and RSLogix 5000 PLC code, consulted on controls wiring design and modifications for multiple machines and processes. Managed vendor and local trades for plant start-up.
Sr. Power Substation Project Engineer / Manager for D.O.E Project
May 2010 to April 2011
Designed and managed DCS SCADA projects for area 230KV/13.8KV substations (7 total).
• Designed and managed fiber communications project for a new SCADA network.
• Configured C3-ILEX SCADA software and hardware for master and RTU to interface with new and existing substations. Designed RTU 125VDC and 24VDC wiring to interface with old and new substation relays, meters, PCB controls, and other substation I/O.
• New substation relays included SEL 2032, SEL x21, SEL x51, SEL x87, SEL x86, and others. Configured meter reporting for MW, MW-Hrs, KVAR, KVAR-Hrs, alarms, etc. Integrated new and old alarm Auto-Dialer.
• Integrated new and old mimic board software and hardware. Worked with local power company to integrate and commission new transfer-trip system.
• Supervised and approved substation relay tests, Hi-Pot tests, ground-grid tests, transformer tests, PCB - OCB tests.
• Managed test personnel, wrote and performed ATP (Acceptance Test Procedure) for transfer-trip system and for SCADA system (D.O.E. & W.E.R.C. requirement for substation commissioning).
• Met with contractors, vendors, and D.O.E. weekly to manage and resolve new substation requirements and construction issues.
• Managed others to produce data storage, timed reporting, HMI screens, fiber network installation, SCADA system revisions, and network security.
Sr. PLC HMI Controls Engineer
July 2008 to January 2009
Provided mechanical, hydraulics, pneumatics electrical and software program trouble-shooting commissioning and maintenance support for all Solar Panel fabricating machines in plant. Machines included Allen Bradley PLC, Wonderware HMI, GE Fanuc Robotics & Yaskawa, stepper servos, AB variable frequency drives.
• Processor types were AB compactlogix, micrologix, and Controllogix, and Yaskawa. Communications supported were DeviceNet, ControlNet, Sercos, Ethernet TCP/IP, Modbus, and Profibus.
• Configured data trends for most machines for operation diagnostics.
• Other projects included re-design, software programming, and Wonderware Intouch 9.5 and 10.1 template configurations with the Wonderware Archestra IAS 3.0.
• Programmed a plant-wide glass ID panel tracking system which included jam detection and bad sensor detection.
• Configured RSBatch / FTBatch for multiple process batch selections within Wonderware touch panel. Added analog and digital I/O for software and hardware improvements per process changes.
• Managed and directed efforts of junior engineers, electricians, and vendors.
• Also, provided cost estimates for new projects. Negotiated vendor contracts. Supervised I & C technicians. Directed efforts for in-house and vendor FAT and SAT tests.
Configured and commissioned AB Kinetics
May 2008 to June 2008
Modesto, CA. May-June 2008
• Configured, programmed and commissioned multi-workstation SCADA system using Wonderware Archestra IAS 3.0
• (Industrial Application Server) and Wonderware Intouch 10.0 with Allen Bradley 5563 PLC's Controllogix v16.
• Configured and commissioned AB Kinetics 3000 / 6000. Allen Bradley PowerFlex 40P drives. with Enet 22E comm, other misc instruments / sensors.
• Managed / directed efforts of junior engineers, electricians, etc. Consulted on redesigns / retrofits of machinery and systems.
Sr. Controls Engineer
May 2007 to April 2008
D.O.E. Project - Designed, programmed and commissioned PLC-HMI projects with Allen Bradley 5556 PLCs.
• Used RSLogix 5000 (ControlLogix), RSNetworx for ControlNet & DeviceNet., RSView 32 HMI, Intouch Wonderware 9.5 HMI, and AMCI micro stepper motion controller for cryogenic experimental projects. L Clearance
Sr. Controls Engineer
May 2006 to May 2007
Programmed and commissioned Allen Bradley 55xx PLCs. Used RSLogix 5000 (ControlLogix), RSNetworx for ControlNet & DeviceNet., Intouch Wonderware 9.5 HMI, & AB PowerFlex 700 Drives for new and existing plant additions. Supervised I & C technicians. Coordinated local trades. Instructed operators on PLC, HMI, and Drive trouble-shooting.
Commissioned a VRU
March 2006 to April 2006
for an oil and gas separation process using Allen Bradley 5-04 PLC. Used RSView Studio-ME v4.0.
• Worked with process engineer for process direction for control features. Added / modified PLC and HMI code. Added / corrected field wiring.
• Added Russian language switch to HMI.
• Coordinated local trades. Instructed operators on PLC, HMI, operation and trouble-shooting.
Sr. Controls Engineer - Commissioned Glass
March 2005 to December 2005
making process using Allen Bradley PLCs and Drives.
• Used ControlLogix PLC's, RS Networx for ControlNet & DeviceNet., RSLogix 5000, RSView Studio SE, AB KN3000, AB KN6000 , and AB 1336 Plus 2 Drives (w/ 1756-MO8SE w/ Sercos Fiber Ring).
• Supervised I & C technicians. Coordinated local trades. Instructed operators on PLC, HMI, and Drive trouble-shooting.
Senior I&C Engineer, Startup/Commissioning
November 2004 to February 2005
duties for the SGI/SGP Chevron Oil and Gas Plant; which included ESD/DCS/SCADA.
Turbine Commissioning Engineer
January 2004 to October 2004
• PowerPac, TwinPac, MobilePac turbine commissioning and start-up of DCS / SCADA control system.
• Developed fuel-Air PID tuning algorithms and supervisory alerting systems.
• Designed panels and wiring per NFPA 79 for support equipment. Supervised I & C technicians.
• Performed testing and training.
1984 to 2004
International Paper Savanna Pulp & Paper
M/R Systems Atlanta Water / Wastewater
Hewlett-Packard Ireland Manufacturing / Packaging
Precision Engine Controls San Diego / Thailand Turbine Controls
Tiernan & Patrylo, Inc. Atlanta / Canada Manufacturing / Packaging
Coca-Cola / Bechtel Ireland Batch Process Controls
Mason & Hanger Lexington, KY. Manufacturing / Packaging
Phillips Controls Tulsa, OK Food Process
Energizer Vermont Manufacturing / Packaging
E-PRO Consulting, Maine Power Substations / SCADA
Dean Oliver International Atlanta Process Controls
Boeing / NASA Cape Canaveral, FL System Design
InControl Alabama Machine Design
Philip-Morris Atl. / Richmond Manufacturing / Packaging
General Motors / MCD Georgia Automotive
Nastech-Torrington Vermont Manufacturing / Packaging
Tech-Mation Scotland, U.K Manufacturing / Packaging
Whessoe-Coggins, Inc. Atlanta Ga./ Texas Process Controls
Pepsi / Dynalogic, Inc. Detroit / Oakland Beverage Process & Packaging
MSK, Inc. Illinois Machine Design
Endicon Pharmaceutical N. Georgia Batch Process Pharmaceutical
Industrial Energy Appl. Iowa Generator Applications
Kuether & Assoc., Inc. Missouri Power Substations / SCADA
Oglethorpe Power Co. Georgia Power Substations / SCADA
Georgia Power Co. Georgia Power Substations / SCADA
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Experience from a background of manufacturing, design or construction
• Knowledge of process, utility and building control systems.
• Knowledge of cGMP guidelines, experience in generation of controlled documents
• Ability to edit engineering drawings and specifications.
• Knowledge of ISA standards and practices for instrumentation.
• Knowledge of PID control theories and techniques.
• Knowledge of programmable logic controllers, and associated programming languages.
• Knowledge of computer aided manufacturing automation.
• Ability to operate the Siemens Apogee building management system
• Ability to utilize SAP
• Good organizational and time utilization skills.
• Good interpersonal skills with an ability to interact well with a variety of personalities, discipline skills and educational levels.
• Good written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to invest time in excess of an 8-hour day or 40-hour week to expedite or complete assignments as required.
• Ability to comply with cGMP requirements (gowning, documentation, and procedures) for performing work within a manufacturing facility.
• Working knowledge of PC based programs and systems.
• Ability to work independently on routine tasks with no direct supervision.
B.S. in Electrical Engineer
1982 to 1986