Highly experienced in the field of visual design, including many years in a lead designer role. Have a wide range of creative skills that span across many clients, industries, and projects. Specialties include identity development, branding and advertising. Proven ability to turn concepts into award-winning creative campaigns and direct major aspects of the creative process. Strong in basic web development skills, content management systems and communicates well with developers on a team. Background also includes department management and supervision, direct client contact, and vendor relations.
Authorized to work in the US for any employer
Art Director, Visual Designer, Web Designer
November 2015 to Present
• Developed static websites, WordPress sites, web design and design identity packages for commercial and non-profit clients. Included building wireframes, structuring content, creating child themes, site building and front-end work with CSS.
• Consulted on Drupal and print design projects for Standard Technology, Inc., on a freelance basis, including site management, code and content updates.
• Did portrait, event and product photography for clients.
November 2011 to November 2015
• Designed complete new branding for the company.
• Designed branded business cards, flyers, proposal materials, presentation materials, displays, created promotional video, and re-skinned the existing DotNetNuke 4.x website.
• Wrote RFPs for 2 new responsive Drupal 7.x sites and served as Product Owner/Stakeholder while working with developers to create and launch both sites. Gathered requirements, created wireframes, flowcharts, and web design comps. Selected, edited and entered all content.
• Administered and maintained all company Drupal sites through Pantheon.com. Created new views, forms and features to extend site functionality. Researched and developed tools and workflow for entering a large number of database records into a Drupal site in an efficient manner. Created a workflow for getting form data out of a Drupal webform and into formatted documents. Kept core and modules on all sites up to date.
• Developed branded temporary responsive static website for training class sales.
• Get business started in social media, setup all accounts, and utilize Hootsuite to manage, publish, and republish content.
• Deal with all vendors of all kinds, from web developers and printers to the manufacturers of large light-up building signs.
• Advise company president on advertising plans.
• Manage Google Analytics and Google AdWords accounts.
• Developed and branded a complete Cvent registration website and emails for US Air Force’s HeloWeek event, with branded badges, event signage and embroidered shirts.
May 1995 to May 2010
• Worked with agency team as lead creative to help develop and establish brand image, identity
and ad campaigns for clients in a range of industries, including luxury home construction, telecommunications and technology.
• Created designs that earned recognition and top industry honors (Major Achievement in Marketing Excellence Awards [MAME]). Award-winning designs include Best Brochure for clients American Heritage Homes and Van Metre; Best Color Ad award for Van Metre; and
three Best Color Ad Campaign awards for clients American Heritage Homes, Van Metre and Miller & Smith.
• Designed logos, newspaper ads, magazine ads, direct mail materials, sales displays, signs, billboards and brochures.
• Edited HTML, CSS and updated images for multiple static websites.
• Supervised graphic design operations & one other designer.
• Responsible for managing workflow, including project lists, meeting multiple deadlines, maintaining departmental equipment as informal sysadmin, communicating with vendors about project needs, and keeping account executive informed on workflow progress.
Graphic Designer / Display Production Manager
March 1990 to February 1995
imageabc.com (site no longer exists)
• Operated as head of graphics department.
• Supervised three employees; managed project flow and day-to-day operations while also serving as lead designer.
• Created museum exhibits, trade show displays, metro ad displays, catalogs, brochures and other promotional materials.
• Art directed product photo shoots as needed.
• Oversaw production of large traveling trade-show displays, created with traditional multiple exposure photo-composite techniques.
• Worked closely with high-profile clients, including Sprint, Fannie Mae, The Federal Bureau of Investigations, and U.S. Department of Transportation.
• Provided estimates, monitored deadlines, and served as liaison between clients and lab.
• Used photography background to help photo lab develop more technically accurate and efficient photo compositing system, which saved the company time and significantly cut internal costs.
Bachelor of Fine Arts in Visual Design
Winner- American Heritage Homes - Best Brochure - Major Achievement in Marketing Excellence Awards [MAME]
Winner- Best Print Advertising - Stone Ridge - Major Achievement in Marketing Excellence Awards [MAME]
April 2016 to Present
• Highly experienced with Adobe CS products for web and print; Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, and Acrobat Pro.
• Adobe Premier and AfterEffects skills, and a good grasp of non-linear video editing.
• Static site-building skills; HTML, CSS, JQuery, FTP and acquiring hosting and domains.
• Drupal 7.x skills: Administration & site maintenance via Pantheon.com; content management; basic site-building skills, adding modules and themes; GUI-based development of views, forms and features; theme modification.
• Wordpress skills: Administration & site maintenance, content management; basic site-building skills, adding plug-ins and themes; theme modification.
• Professional digital photography with experience in portraits, product and event photography.
• Solid Microsoft Office skills with Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook.
• Have basic sys-admin skills; installing and maintaining Apple hardware, software & managing small LANs.
• Regularly attend DC area Drupal meet-ups, local Drupal conference events.
• Regularly attend the NOVA UX meet-up.
• AIGA member.
• Part of a Washington DC 48 hour Film Fest team, as art director, titles animator, photographer, production assistant, lighting designer and occasionally actor.