March 2012 to February 2013
Enterprise firewall administration; performed policy edits on various Juniper, Cisco, and Checkpoint firewalls via management consoles. User and group level changes according to client policies, server code updates, associated troubleshooting.
• Trouble report analysis and issue resolution regarding network access concerns.
• Administration of HP Tipping Point IPS products.
Lead Technical Engineer
August 1997 to November 2011
Performed network monitoring/surveillance and repair of global VPNs and remote access solutions. Provided tier 1-3 support of VAR products and services based on Cisco, Lucent, Juniper, Adtran, and Compaq/Microsoft platforms. Performed analysis of data communications link and device faults. Coordinated field dispatches for cooperative testing and hardware replacement. Addressed outages, degraded performance reports, optimization, SLA adherence concerns.
• Handled chronic, escalated, and high-profile network trouble cases involving OSI layers 1-4. Assistance with group procedure establishment, staff mentoring, staff role assignments, customer escalation management. Wrote procedure and support documentation, provided training for technical support and sales teams.
• Built and configured network hardware, logical device deployment and integration into existing network infrastructure. Provided expert level support of user-level remote access solutions and branch-level connectivity using the public Internet and global private WAN to securely connect sites with diverse physical and logical topologies.
• Performed extensive datalink carrier testing including DS0-DS3, multilink, OCx, metro Ethernet. Reviewed DACS performance measurements, DCE device reporting, LEC trouble reporting/coop testing. Worked with WAN multilink solutions, failover, redundancy, static and dynamic routing, traffic classification and prioritization, filtering, security.
Network Support Analyst, Supervisor
October 1992 to August 1997
Configured, assisted with installation, provided support for several networking products and services.
• Performed lab simulations for proof of concept and customer device integration during the sales process. Tested third-party hardware and software products, worked with vendors to test bug remedies and software patches. Certified vendor code updates within a lab environment. Provided pre-sales recommendations and visited customer sites for involved co-op support issues and sales support.
• Wrote and edited proprietary communications node software. Assigned as the primary point-of-contact for sales and tier 1-2 support teams regarding several third-party products including a protocol conversion appliance, a WAN encryption device, and a web-based mainframe access software product.
• Use of terminal emulation products, session profile customization and scripting, data scope packet capture and analysis, frequent work with modems/POTS/PSTN.
• Promotion to supervisory role; oversight of workload and staff assignments, provided managerial reports, acted as the designated group representative for internal development teams.
Exceptional communication skills, technical writing, teaching/training, mentoring. Supervisory experience; staff performance reviews, workload distribution and duty assignments, response to customer trouble report escalations. Executive and international customer interaction. Some progress toward MBA degree.
Hardware: Telephony/POTS/PSTN, modems, CSUs, custom PC and server builds. Cisco router platforms including 870, 2900, 3600, 7000, 12000 series, some experience with Juniper router J and M series. Cisco VPN concentrators, Nortel Contivity extranet switches, Cisco Ethernet switches, data scope use and protocol analysis, Titan 5500 and Alcatel 163x DACS. Knowledge of Ethernet cabling standards, experienced in commercial LAN cabling installation. Solid understanding of electrical properties and principles at device and component levels.
Software: Microsoft: Windows 95 - Windows 7, server administration, user security and access profiles, network sharing, Office product suite, Visio, Project. Client/server models such as Citrix. Cisco IOS & JUNOS, scripting, HP Openview NavisCore application. Firewall management consoles including Juniper NSM, Cisco CSM, Check Point R65 and Provider-1.
Networking: Experienced with Frame Relay, LAN/Ethernet standards and practices, DSL, ISDN BRI/PRI, DS0-DS3 data circuit optioning, testing, troubleshooting. Familiar with the IP protocol suite, DHCP, DNS, WINS, NAT. Understanding of the OSI model, Microsoft networking, PPP, IPSec, DMZ, DBU. Familiar with static and dynamic IP routing including BGP, EIRGP, OSPF. Knowledge of routing metrics and weightings, advertisements, subnetting. Experienced wth failover and backup strategies; use of VRRP and HSRP. Worked with several remote access solutions, VPNs, MPLS and VRFs, QoS / packet classification and prioritization. Knowledge of WLAN installation and troubleshooting. Familiar with WLAN-specific concerns such as security, filtering, encryption, AP placement / interference / shielding, RSSI, S/N ratios, roaming / mesh topologies. Experienced with Juniper, Cisco, and Checkpoint firewall administration and troubleshooting. Working knowledge of VoIP including requirements, sampling, CODEC types.
Other: Provided leadership with new product offerings. Often assigned to particularly complex and high-profile support issues. Adaptable to team or individual work environments. Reliable, self-motivated, desire to expand in new areas technically and professionally. Ability to quickly build rapport with colleagues and customers. Ability to prioritize, exercise sound judgment, and respond appropriately to urgent and high pressure situations. Experienced in multitasking environments with high workload volume as well as situations requiring extended, in-depth analysis.
Bachelor of Science in Managerial/Financial/Accounting
Associate of Applied Science in Electrical fundamentals, board and component level