Daycare Lead Teacher
2009 to 2011
Learning through play is the main focus of our time together. I plan and organize a range of individual and group activities including role play, movement, dance, singing, games, arts and crafts and nature activities.
2003 to 2008
Instructed Kindergarten curriculum designed to meet the developing social and intellectual needs of the students.
2000 to 2003
Combined play and interactive activities with an increasing focus on early academic learning, including letter recognition, phonics, numbers and an awareness of Science and Social Studies.
Remedial and Math Reading Specialist
1999 to 2000
Implemented Reading and Math Computer Programs.
Arts Magnet Teacher
1992 to 1999
Incorporated Music and Arts in to the academic curriculum.
6th Grade Curriculum Advisor, Kindergarten teacher
1982 to 1992
• Lead the English Department in the 4th, 5th and 6th Grade Curriculum Development and organized educational plans.
• Initiated the Whole Language approach to learning.
• Committed to the Summer School Reading and Math Program stressing Student Motivation, Individualized Instruction and Self-Esteem.
• Supervised the Breakfast Program for all the students who came to breakfast every school day.
1st Grade Teacher/5th Grade Teacher
1970 to 1982
Worked with students using the The Workshop Way, a succession of Learning Centers, developed by the teacher, provided powerful strategies for a productive and successful student.
1st Grade Teacher
1969 to 1970
Planned and organized lessons with emphasis on allowing children to learn at their own level of development and progress.
1st Grade Teacher
1968 to 1969
The focus was on incorporating stories and books to enhance the curriculum.
3rd and 4th Grade Teacher
1966 to 1968
This was a Chinese School. I taught English in the morning and the students learned Chinese in the afternoon.
Educational and Church Involvement
• Lima Education Association
• Northwest Ohio Educational Association
• International Reading Association
• Treasurer, Phi Delta Kappa
• Secretary, Parent-Teacher Association
• Secretary, YWCA Board of Directors
• Advisory Board of Early Childhood Education-Rhodes State College
• Critic Teacher - Ohio State University (Lima) College of Education
• Critic Teacher - Lima City Schools, Pre-School Program
• Critic Teacher - Wright State University, College of Education
• Critic Teacher - Bluffton University, College of Education
• Critic Teacher - Ohio Norther University, College of Education
• Critic Teacher - Rhodes State College, Pre-School Program
• Member, Board of Directors - Trinity United Methodist Church
• Sunday School Teacher - Trinity United Methodist Church
• Member, Church choir
• Choreographer - Church Liturgical Dance Performances
• Bell Ringer - Bell Choir, Trinity United Methodist Church
Co-Founder - Northwestern Ohio Filipino-American Association
Representative - City of Lima, Mayor's Diversity (Multicultural) Program
Outstanding Graduate - Philippines
Teacher of the Month - Lima
Teacher Achievement Award - Nominee
Martha Holden Jennings Scholar
Written by a parent to Mrs. Abelita
"Never have I known a teacher who so beautifully combines affections, discipline, fun and learning. I am in awe of your ability in the classroom."
-Mrs. Cindy Lincoln, Lima, Ohio Parent.
Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education
Master's in Education