Sterling Heights, MI
TECHNICAL WRITER/EDITOR and MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER for product engineering / manufacturing companies recognized as leaders in Automotive, General Industry and Information Technology. Wrote and edited IT systems documentation for a leading mortgage lender (Quicken Loans); developed training lessons and presentations for an automotive manufacturer (GM); authored technical manuals and managed marketing communications for a product company that engineered programmable, DC electric nut-tightening tools and multi-tool systems for automotive assembly lines (Chicago Pneumatic / Tech-motive and Advanced Assembly Group). Collaborating with photographers, videographers, agencies and internal teams, I developed the written content for ads, news releases, marketing brochures and technical manuals about sensors, industrial weighing scales and electric nut-tightening tools and automated multi-tool systems for the assembly of automotive and industrial components. Co-managed trade shows throughout North America, as well.
Technical Writer, IT Compliance
December 2012 to January 2013 (1 month)
Edited IT compliance documents and mortgage loan procedures; attended meetings; and updated acronyms.
Courseware Presentations Developer / Technical Writer
February 2012 to March 2012 (1 month)
Gathered information from GM lead engineering managers, and developed internal training outlines for engineers working on future automotive Telematics and Infotainment systems. Duties included creating a design document as an outline for each training program, developing PowerPoint presentations, and saving work on SharePoint.
Writer, Editor, Presentation Developer
January 2008 to January 2011 (3 years)
During high unemployment (rates up to 14.3% in MI) wrote and edited resumes for laid-off colleagues during the Great Recession as my full-time employer, Chicago Pneumatic (CP), below, closed its Michigan facility. I also earned certificates in Search Engine Marketing (SEM), and multi-cultural competencies. Refer to Education.
Communications Manager, Marketing Manager and Technical Writer
August 1994 to August 2007 (13 years)
CHICAGO PNEUMATIC (CP), Novi, Rochester Hills and Farmington Hills, MI – Aug 1994 through Jul 2007 (13 years) CP acquired GSE tech-motive tool and Advanced Assembly Group (AAG) units of GSE, Inc. from SPX Corporation in 2005. My three titles, from the most recent, were as follows:
COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER, CP / CP Techmotive, Novi, MI (1 year, 5 months)
• Wrote sales collateral content that combined tech-motive tool brand products and systems with CP brand products;
• Updated product technical manuals for advanced product features and to reflect the brand name change to CP
• Enforced CP brand standards among 800 distributors participating in CP’s co-op advertising reimbursement program.
MARKETING MANAGER, GSE tech-motive tool/Advanced Assembly Group units in Rochester Hills/Novi, MI which were acquired by CP from SPX Corporation (8 years, 2 months). I was responsible for managing Marketing Communications, Public Relations, Advertising, Trade Shows and the Technical Writing team.
• Created and developed the Marketing / Communications department and team within GSE, Inc., which (under SPX and prior corporate owners), engineered and marketed programmable, electrical nut tightening tools and multi-tool systems used in global automotive, aerospace and industrial assembly. Hired, directed and challenged technical writing, training and marketing team members to develop and distribute information about products and systems via manuals, training lessons, sales literature and social media. Managed marketing and technical communications/public relations.
• Reporting to VPs of Sales and Marketing collaborated with executive and finance teams to develop, oversee and manage the marketing communications budget exceeding $1 million for promotion of product brands and positive sales growth. Co-organized the company's participation in the Assembly and Quality trade shows in the USA and Canada, and the trade show Manufactura in Mexico
• Executed communication strategies (utilizing print, online and video media tactics); furnished internal and external sales and business development teams and global distributors with the collateral to promote product and system sales. As a global web steering member, strategized and recommended CP website improvements, and updated the site.
• Project managed external professional services providers (advertising, PR, creative, photographic and video service agencies, sign makers, trade magazine editors and writers, lead generating services, trade show booth designers, etc.) to extend publicity and promote information about brand, products, services, events, personnel and product sales. Cut costs 40% via competitive bidding. Approved invoices for external services.
TECHNICAL WRITER, GSE, Inc., Farmington Hills, MI (3 years, 5 months)
• Authored complete manuals (50 to 400 pages) describing set up, operation, troubleshooting and maintenance of industrial sensors and nut-tightening tool systems for industrial /automotive components assembly (installed at Chrysler, Ford, GM, Volvo, etc.) and updated manuals about electronic weighing scales.
• Developed online help for proprietary Visual Supervisor program.
CERTIFICATES of Achievement, Macomb Multcultural International Initiatives (MCII) in Cultural Competency Level I (2 CEUs for programs met in 2011), awarded January 31, 2012 AND Competency Level II (2 CEUs for programs met in 2012), awarded March 8, 2013.
2011 to 2013
Certificate in Search Engine Marketing (SEM), including courses in Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Pay Per Click (PPC) and Article Marketing & Distribution (AMD)
2011 to 2011
B.A. in Journalism (including Advertising & Public Relations) AND Radio-TV-Film
M.A. in Management
A graduate class (following the M.A. at CMU) in Communications
Sperry Journalistic Achievement Awards
Awards for Journalistic Excellence in Business Writing, Feature Writing and Photography received in New York City.
Women In Defense - MI Chapter
January 2010 to December 2011
Membership committee member
Assembly Magazine, Quality Magazine, Manufactura, and Appliance Magazine;
These are amongst the trade magazines in which I places ads and business news releases.
CS4000 Controller Technical Reference Manual
Authored 400+ pages of information on how to set up, program, operate, and troubleshoot single-channel and multi-channel CS4000 Controller for single, hand-held or multi-tool, automated nutrunner (nut tightening) tool systems used widely in automotive manufacturing plants throughout the US, Canada, Mexico, Europe, Brazil and Australia. Content included: Covers, the manual part number, tables of Contents, Procedures, Tables, Illustrations, Photos, etc.; Glossary, Index, Chapter Headings and Footers. Authored a variety of other mauals about the Visual Supervisor software setup and usage manual for controllers that incorporated the MS Windows interface, as well as industrial weighing scales, torque measuring meters and tools,
Activities during "The Great Recession" […]
• Freelance research, writing, editing, presentation development, upon request.
• Earned Certificate in Search Engine Marketing (SEM), Central Michigan University
• Training in Linked In at Lawrence Technological University and Facebook at Marx Layne.
• Membership Committee, Women In Defense, Michigan Chapter (for job networking)
• Attended MCC / Lorezo Cultural Center Series in Clinton Twp, MI on The Great Lakes, The Great Depression, Michigan's Immigrants, The 1950s, Michigan's Statehood and Innovation and Inventions. Currently attending series on The Gilded Age,1910 to The Great War (WWI).