Los Angeles, CA
Accomplished Educator with Masters in Business Administration and concrete experience in training, literacy, gang prevention, mediation, and community partnerships. Possess outstanding interpersonal skills and the unique ability to work with diverse groups of people. Dedicated leader and problem-solver who successfully manages relationships among all stakeholders in an organization.
August 2011 to Present
Facilitated the development of teachers and implemented literacy intervention in a first-year school.
• Training and Development: Created and conducted professional development and training for 40 teachers. Topics included literacy intervention and data-driven instruction. Met with teachers individually to analyze data and set goals to maximize student achievement. Trained 15 campus monitors in the areas of campus supervision and safety.
• Project Management: Managed the development and implementation of a targeted intervention system to meet the needs of at-risk students. Analyzed the needs of over 100 students and enacted plans to increase literacy. Successfully increased the reading levels of more than 50% of students.
• Systems Analyst: Task analyzed the organizational and logistical features for a brand-new school. Developed and implemented systems to ensure staff and student safety.
Dean of Students
2010 to 2011
Managed the discipline, safety, and behavioral issues for 1,100 students.
• Training and Development: Trained, coached, and mentored new teachers in the areas of classroom management, student behavior, and best teaching practices. Delivered concrete resources and strategies for teachers to improve student behavior, which resulted in a 30% reduction in discipline referrals. Created professional development for 80 staff members on issues such as bullying and behavior modification strategies. Supervised the Discipline Committee in making data-based decisions on topics ranging from student uniforms to staff scheduling.
• Mediation: Facilitated student-to-student mediation on issues such as bullying and gang tension. Directed conflict resolution among parents and provided parents with concrete tools for improving their child's behavior. Trained 40 students in peer mediation strategies and skills.
• Community Partnerships: Fostered relationships with agencies and programs outside the school site, including the VIDA program, Shields for Families, School Police, Sheriff Department, Tessie Cleveland Community Center and the Juvenile Probation Department. Leveraged these relationships to connect students and families to vital resources within the community. Over 100 families are currently receiving services from one or more of these organizations.
• Data-Driven Intervention: Utilized referral data to drive the intervention strategies for students at risk for gangs, suicide, and drug use. Tailored intervention strategies to meet the unique needs of each student. 10 students were placed at other school sites, 5 students were referred to specialized learning centers, 50 students were matched with counseling resources. Launched Positive Behavior Support Plan to provide incentives for students making healthy choices.
2005 to 2010
Guided intellectual and emotional development of 6th grade students.
• Literacy: Developed intensive whole-literature reading program that incorporated strategies such as Guided Reading, Literature Circles, Cooperative Learning, Reciprocal Teaching, and diagnostic, summative, and formative assessments. 80% of students improved their reading level by at least 2 grades. 100% of students improved their standardized test scores in the areas of reading comprehension and analysis.
• Curriculum Development: Created culturally relevant English and Social Studies curriculum that drew upon the experiences of Latino and African American students. Utilized assessment data for differentiated instruction that met the needs of students with diverse capabilities, including visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learners.
• Emotional Development: Created a community of learners and culture of respect in the classroom through the use of team-building activities, problem-solving strategies, and explicit teaching of communication techniques, such as "I-statements" and active listening.
• Team-building: United disparate groups of teachers as the English Department Chair. Created professional development resources to improve teaching within the English department.
Instructor, Business Concepts
2008 to 2008
Created and delivered business skills curriculum for adult education course. 100% of students passed standardized exit exam.
2002 to 2005
Facilitated successful transition of over 500 freshmen to university life. Served as peer health educator for issues such as eating disorders, sexual assault, drug and alcohol abuse. Responded to crisis situations, and utilized team-building strategies to develop a community atmosphere among undergraduate students.
MBA in Management
Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
Bachelor of Arts in Sociology and Black Studies