Experience includes executive level management and more than 20 years of leadership history in private for profit, not for profit and nonprofit settings, including outpatient and inpatient counseling, community mental health, hospital and legal environments. Practical, hands-on experience in a fee for service delivery system results in the ability to combine creative and analytical talents that culminate in leading others toward delivery of quality clinical services with streamlined staff while working within a fiscally responsible budget.
April 2000 to Present
Responsible for developing and implementing counseling services for persons from all walks of life. Becoming Counseling Services bears its name from the understanding that one's journey through life is a process in which each human being is constantly evolving and becoming the person that s/he is meant to be. Further, Becoming Counseling Services acknowledges and celebrates the diversity of humankind and ongoing life journey and is dedicated to assisting individuals in the personal pilgrimage that touches and is accordingly affected by one's familial, social, vocational and spiritual circles.
*Oversees of all financial, operational and clinical areas of counseling services
*Trains and leads clinicians in utilizing therapeutic techniques that result in self-efficacy for the clients.
*Provides mental health consulting and educational opportunities for private for-profit and nonprofit organizations and business within the community and throughout the United States
Chief Operating Officer-reporting directly to the C.E.O
January 2009 to January 2011
Responsible for oversight of all operations within the agency to ensure a healthy balance between delivery of quality clinical services and sound fiscal practices.
* Managed […] budget and reduced budget deficit of […] to near break-even within first six months
* Increased grants by $45,000 in one year
* Increased service in one department from under 400 clients to more than 700 without increasing staff
* Streamlined programming to combine prevention and treatment
* Created transportation system for underserved clients
* Created strong internship program to increase quicker response to intake assessments
* Designed and implemented quality assurance program
* General oversight and responsibility for all clinical programs, including such evidenced based practices as Individual Management Recovery, Supported Employment, Homeless Outreach, Dialectical Behavioral Therapy and Baby Time and Family Time and a Veterans Outreach Program for veterans returning from duty.
September 2001 to January 2009
* launched a successful pilot program to counsel with caregivers of persons over age 65
* provided community educational programs related to treatment of older adults
* Provided direct counseling services to elders
Director of Community Support Services
September 2000 to January 2009
Responsible for the delivery of all services to severely and persistently mentally ill client population of 400
* Created unique, holistic, clinically sound psychosocial groups for severely and persistently mentally ill adult clients
* Reduced hospital bed days by 75% within one year
* Managed and directed award winning community support services program that broke all state records for number of clients served and revenue generated
* Provided direct counseling and therapy to severely and persistently mentally ill adult clients and families, including extensive work with mood disorder, psychotic disorder, personality disorder and PTSD diagnoses.
Adjunct Professor for classes in Psychology
September 2000 to May 2003
Human Growth and Development and Marriage and Family Matters.
* Students attending these classes had lowest drop-out rate in Butler County
Director of Social Services
September 1995 to September 2000
for this 240-bed medical surgical hospital
* Launched "I Can Cope" Program for oncology patients
* Trained all social workers for utilization review and discharge planning
* Created partnership with local oncologist to ensure smooth transition from hospital to home
* Received Volunteer of the Year Award from American Cancer Society
Integris Bass Baptist Hospital-Southwest Rehabilitation Services
Director of Social Work for newly opened inpatient rehabilitation center with 50 beds.
* Designed formal case management and discharge planning system
* Liaison, patient advocate and educator for patients and families
Meadowlake Behavioral HealthCenter-Acquired by Integris Bass
Director of Social Work in 80-bed private psychiatric hospital
* Created and facilitated multiple therapy groups specializing in mood disorders
* Developed strong partnerships with other community providers
* Set records for most clients served in five year history of hospital
Director of Social Work for 100-bed private psychiatric hospital
October 1994 to September 1995
* Hired as Clinical Social Worker and promoted to Director of Social Work after three months
* Led social work quality assurance program that received no deficiencies during audit
❖ I left this position because this facility was closed and, although I was offered a position at another of Magellan's facilities in N.C., I chose not relocate there.
Director of Human Resources in partnership of more than 300 lawyers
July 1984 to May 1990
* Reduced number of support staff by 50%
* Increased number of paralegals by 25%
* Created a policy and procedure manual after only three weeks' notice that received approval of managing partners
* President of Administrative Management Society, Dallas Chapter
* Discovered fraud that was costing firm $26,000 per year
❖ I left this position to complete my education in social work
Director of Human Resources, Operations Manager and Security Officer
April 1980 to July 1984
for a management consultant firm that also created and sold manufacturing software
* Recruiting, hiring, firing and managing all programming, technical writing and support personnel
* Led cultural sensitivity training
* Designed floor plans and decorated […] office space
❖ Left this position after the facility was bought by another organization and position became redundant
*These positions involved work that met a community need and occurred simultaneously while employed at the Mental Health Center of East Central Kansas.
Associates of Arts
Bachelor of Science in Social Work
Master of Science in Social Work