Technology leader with over 12 years of experience building and mentoring high performance teams pooling together individual talents to accomplish great things.
January 2016 to Present
* Launched the Merchant Center, the doorway to Zalando’s marketplace allowing brands and retailers
to sell their products on the Zalando fashion store.
* Built 5 engineering teams to handle topics including inventory management, order management, and
API gateway to support the Merchant Center.
* Member of the hiring committee evaluating candidates coming through the interview process and
making hire/no-hire decisions.
Director of Engineering
April 2015 to Present
* Leading 2 teams
* Implemented a standardized release process using Git, Jira, and Bamboo to achieve fully automated and documented deployments.
* Oversaw implementation of automated regression tests across web products to ensure continuous quality.
Software Engineering Team Lead
December 2013 to April 2015
* 4 direct reports
* Hired a new engineering team for special projects.
* Architected the international e-commerce checkout process that integrates with 200 merchant websites using technologies like Node.JS, AngularJS, Scala/Play, Redis, and MongoDB.
* Integrated Alipay, PayPal, and Adyen payment methods into international checkout process.
Executive Director of Engineering
September 2012 to May 2013
* 5 direct reports
* Created learningpod.com, an open platform for creating and sharing educational content like lessons and quizzes.
* Pioneered use of cloud-based hosting using Amazon Web Services (AWS).
* Standardized and automated the release process using Git and Jenkins in order to decrease release management time from days to minutes.
Director of Application Development
May 2010 to September 2012
* 8 direct reports
* Created a more holistic student experience for Kaplan's LSAT product using technologies like Grails and MongoDB.
* Delivered an automated teacher assignment designed to streamline business processes and take the guesswork away from faculty administration.
* Transitioned the company from waterfall to Scrum & Kanban by coaching and mentoring Scrum Masters throughout the organization.
* Architected enterprise REST API to leverage legacy business systems, learning management system and student data for rapid development of multi-platform products.
Manager of Web Development
June 2009 to April 2010
* 5 direct reports
* Relocated to New York office to build out new technology team including front-end developers, project managers, and information architects to migrate the website to a new platform. The team successfully re-launched newsweek.com in 2010.
* Drove RFP process to select the next-generation content management system.
* Built and deployed production applications developed on LAMP stack including Newsweek's Green Rankings list and Newsweek's Best of the Best Books List.
March 2008 to June 2009
* 5 direct reports
* Managed day-to-day development operations for Newsweek technology team while interfacing with business owners, 3rd party vendors and services, and technical staff. The site supported about 1-2 million page views/day peeking at about 10 million.
* Introduced the Scrum process to technology and business teams to ensure transparency and organization.
January 2007 to March 2008
* Re-launched newsweek.com, moving the site off of the MSNBC.com platform by repurposing Slate's .NET-based content management system.
* Optimized content management system to scale up to 1 million page views/hour using a variety of caching strategies. Implemented techniques for decreasing page load down to 2 seconds.
January 2005 to January 2007
* Lead a team of 3 to rebuild eplans.com and ebuild.com converting VB/COM/ASP to .NET/ASPX.
* Architected an MVC-like site framework using ASP.NET and XSLT for rapid development of transactional, e-commerce sites.
* Unified two major databases that were developed independently after the acquisition of a competing house plans business.
August 2004 to December 2004
* Extended core ASP.NET grant management product by developing reusable C# modules.
* Worked with clients including the Howard Hughes Foundation to implement configurations of their grant management software.
* Maintained and enhanced web-based PDF conversion service.
Application Engineer III
July 2002 to August 2004
* Lead on project to re-engineer all web applications for Microsoft .NET using advanced object-oriented principles ensuring maintainability, flexibility, and reuse.
* Pioneered the idea of using a data dictionary to drive business logic tier. With this architecture, changes to business logic no longer necessitated modifications in disparate tiers, which allowed for quicker turnaround for these types of requests.
* Laid groundwork for future .NET development by building platform components that dynamically build web forms using data dictionaries.
March 2002 to July 2002
* Created financial modeling application used for long-term forecasting of income and cash flows. Features included projected income and cash flow statements and simulation of unidentified loans for tracking financial growth.
* Upgraded in-house software package based with Payment-In-Kind functionality, which allowed for more complex deals to be made.
* Added daily consumption of periodic LIBOR rates by writing a web bot to spider BBA website, download and heuristically process assets for the numbers, and post them to a local cache.
January 2001 to March 2002
* Worked with peers in an eXtreme Programming (XP) environment pair programming where appropriate and doing daily builds
* Developed loan administration system for a major investment-banking firm. Features included portfolio performance showing yield calculations, invoicing with email capability, and report generation.
* Augmented medical review company's ETL capability by developing add-ons to process data dumps and aggregate them in a searchable database.
M.S. in Information Technology
B.A. in Psychology