BRUCE E. BOSTWICK http://www.linkedin.com/in/brucebostwick
7517 89th Street Court East […]
Puyallup, WA 98371 email@example.com
Internationally experienced Food Industry Executive with retail, wholesale, CPG and agency sales and marketing expertise. A driven leader with diverse multi-channel know-how, broad strategic vision and business savvy. Leverages a ‘Can Do’ attitude and ‘One person can make a difference’ philosophy to excel in fast-paced roles. Produces results with actionable insights and creative solutions. Exceptional ‘C’ level references and contacts. Commanding presentation skills, business development instincts and working proficiency in Spanish & French.
• Strategic / Targeted Mktg • Market / Business Development • Integrated Marketing Communications
• National / Global Acct Sales • Mergers & Acquisitions • Import / Export Management
• Consumer / Trade Trends • Competitive Intelligence / Analysis • Trade Marketing
• Consumer CPG Promotions • Merchandising/Category Mgmnt • Strategic Alliances / Partnerships
Senior Director International Business Development
January 2011 to Present
Senior Director, International Business Development 2011 – Present
Manages overall sales, marketing and merchandising for this $97M unit with an accelerated growth mandate. Drives new business internationally by strategically expanding categories within existing accounts, adding accounts in Asia / Middle East and creating new market opportunities. Reports to President, SUPERVALU International.
Director National Business Development
March 2003 to February 2011
Director, National Business Development 2003 – 2011
Led domestic new business and key account sales efforts, wholesale strategies and marketing programs (Fuel, Hispanic) for 2,600 independent stores representing $9 Billion in sales across 3 regions. Pioneered alternative channel sales and strategic marketing. Provided unprecedented competitive intelligence to Sales and executive management. Developed actionable competitive insights. Owned the 5 year strategic plan - Wholesale Div.
• Channel Diversification: Championed non-traditional channels, negotiated, and signed major new corporate affiliations with Amazon.com, The Home Depot, Sears Holdings, ShopKo and SYSCO Foodservices.
• Board of Directors: Led wholesale division’s strategic planning efforts that leveraged market trends and projections. Delivered through the Division President for the Board of Directors.
• Presentations: Developed, produced and delivered presentations that have won acclaim by C-Level executives and raised the bar with insightful, entertaining and memorable proposals targeting key retailers including Best Buy, OfficeMax, Staples, Dollar General, Family Dollar, Walgreen’s and Rite Aid.
• PDI Executive Management Assessment: Identified in the top 10%, versus experienced CEO’s, and as ‘High Potential’ by executive management.
• United Way Chairman, SUPERVALU Corporate: $1+M raised annually / winner of 3 ‘Best Of’ awards.
• Mergers & Acquisitions: Delivered $700M in new business gains having evaluated Fleming divisions nationally, matching markets and key accounts to strategic growth plans. Coordinated Asset Swap with C&S Wholesale, solidifying market position.
• New Affiliations: Delivered $1B in new business nationally, most conducted under strict confidentiality. Implemented growth plans and strategies to effectively grow efficiencies, throughput, service and profit margins.
Vice President Client Services
October 2000 to October 2002
Led a highly talented team of marketing professionals and provided integrated marketing communications for industry leaders including Coca-Cola, Nestlé, McDonald’s, Guinness UDV, Shell, and Western Union. Strategically grew client mix and sales for this ‘one stop shop’ agency. Full general management, new business leader, senior marketer with active roles on the global account teams of McDonald’s, Shell, and Nestlé.
• 2001 McDonald’s Worldwide Marketing Conference - Delegate and key member of the McDonald’s global account team – planning strategic sales and consumer events for continued growth.
• McDonald’s ‘Right Place, Right Time’ Prize Patrol – Awarded $2.1M (creating 2 instant McMillionares).
Director Sales & Marketing
December 1994 to October 2000
Director Sales, National Accounts, Wal-Mart 1999 –2000
Led Wal-Mart, Zeller's, Shopper's Drugmart national accounts. Wal-Mart Category Captain for Confectionery, Coffee, Beverage, Dairy, Frozen Foods and Nutrition.
Director, Consumer Promotions, Strategic Partnerships & Prestige Properties 1997 –1999
Developed and implemented innovative and proprietary promotions and directed 5 agencies. Negotiated brand sponsorships and liaised with Strategic Partners (General Mills, Disney, Coca-Cola, McDonald’s, and the NBA).
International Marketing Manager 1996 –1997
Sales territory included the Americas while marketing globally.
Business Manager, Chocolate Confectionery 1994 –1996
Demonstrated excellence in seasonal marketing and sales management, trade promotion and targeted consumer multichannel media. Achieved record profits and category results.
• Innovated with integrated marketing and seasonal fact-based sales methodology in Chocolate Confectionery.
• Achieved Wal-Mart sales growth success of +42% in one year; earned Nestlé National Sales MVP for 1999.
• Represented Nestlé on an international trade mission to South America via OMAFRA (Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs) and identified new bilateral sales opportunities in Columbia, Chile, Argentina and Brazil, leading to major brand launches.
• 1998 Audit Bureau of Circulation, Guest Speaker on Building Effective Consumer Promotions.
• Earned 2 executive commendations for sales growth and business results;
• Won the coveted 'Nestlé Nest' for excellence in negotiating an exclusive multi-year, multi-brand deal with Toronto’s ‘Harborfront’ tourist venue, greatly expanding Nestlé brand sales (retail and foodservice) and consumer brand impressions.
• 1999 Point of Purchase Advertising Institute (POPAI), Marketing Judge utilizing well developed CPG marketing and retail operational expertise.
• Delegate to Swiss H.O. Nestlé's 3Net Forum; helped pioneer global online / internet strategies.
Senior Brand Manager
March 1992 to December 1994
Created and applied condiment extended usage strategies, database management, category management, new business generation and export sales. Surpassed Plan via new products. Responsible for full P&L.
Vice President / Contract Consultant
June 1990 to October 1991
Led strategic planning and supply and service negotiations for Venezuela's #1 Foodservice caterer; affiliates: Johnson Wax, hotels, meat processing, waste management. Developed wins with clients/unions.
Marketing Services Manager
June 1987 to June 1990
1st Product Manager of Domestic Canned Sales. Managed Traffic department and all Sales and Marketing functions. Results included a new product that achieved an A.C. Nielsen top-10 item status.
Grocery & Frozen Foods Buyer
February 1979 to June 1987
Promoted in March of 1981 from retail operations, responsible for +$125 million portfolio. Developed growth categories, managed margin, drove results via Ads and category management. Managed six staff.
May 1978 to January 1979
Managed crew of sixteen, including production, inventory, cash and consumer relations.
Assistant Service Manager
March 1975 to March 1978
Supervised Canada's 1st food scanner store, IBM operations and bilingual consumer relations. 1 executive award and 1st place in the corporate management program.
BA in Food Retail Merchandising, Marketing & Management (FRMMM)
January 2008 to January 2010
MiniMasters - Retail Management in Retail Sales & Management
January 2006 to January 2006
Key Account Management
January 2005 to January 2005
EMBA in Sales & Marketing
January 1997 to January 1997
MBA in Marketing & International Business
January 1991 to January 1992
PMAC in Purchasing Management
January 1982 to January 1983
B.Comm in Marketing
January 1978 to January 1980
BA - Law / Economics in Business Law & Economics
January 1974 to January 1977
January 1973 to January 1976
1998 Audit Bureau of Circulation, Guest Speaker
June 1997 Nestlé Rive-Reine, Switzerland, Nestlé 3Net Workshop
PDI Executive Mgmnt Assessment: top percentile vs experienced CEO’s
1997 Humber College, Guest lecturer in Marketing
1996 OMAFRA Trade Mission to South America
2001 McDonald’s Worldwide Marketing Conference - delegate
Nestlé National MVP – significant individual sales results
1999 Point of Purchase Advertising Institute, Marketing Judge
Awards: 2 Nestlé executive awards, 1 Nestlé Nest for Excellence
2003 SUPERVALU M&A acquisition of $1B in new business under strict confidentiality. Orchestrated further growth of $750M.
McDonald’s Prize Patrol – Awarded $2.1M (creating 2 McMillionares)
Interests: Interests include travel, tennis, and adventure reading. I enjoy fast-paced roles requiring creativity, flexibility and integrity. I’m internationally experienced, have a broad vision, ‘Can Do’ attitude and ‘One person can make a difference’ philosophy. Technologically skilled multimedia presenter and road warrior with advanced computer talents. Working proficiency in Spanish and French. Exceptional ‘C’ level references available upon request.