Allied Telecom is based in Washington, D.C. and serving the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast Corridor, a single-source provider of Internet, data transport and voice services. We support businesses, non-profits and public-sector clients. And for over 20 years, Allied Telecom has been distinguished by our exceptional, full-service care we provide to every client — no matter how big or small.
For more information please go to: http://www.alliedtelecom.net
Director of Accounting & Finance
In this critical role the candidate will report to Chief Financial Officer and be responsible for day to day Accounting operations, periodic Financial Reporting, monthly forecasting, and annual budgeting process. The Controller will maintain a system of accounting records and a comprehensive set of controls designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the entities’ reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles. The Controller with work closely with the Chief Financial Officer to develop key financial metrics and performance indictors to provide actionable data to the Allied management team. The successful candidate must develop a solid understanding of Allied products and business operations in addition to expertise in accounting and finance areas. This position will require the development and implementation of processes, controls, and reporting that does not currently exist. Therefore, multi-tasking and ability to maintain current daily, weekly, monthly tasks while also creating and implementing new process, controls, and reporting is a required capability for success in this role. Additionally, a key component of the role will include compliance work including state and federal regulatory and tax filings.
Management of Financial Operations & Management of General Accounting Staff:
- Oversee the Accounting department, including the design of an organizational structure required for achieving the department's goals and objectives.
- Staff management duties include interviewing, hiring, planning, assigning, directing work, rewarding, disciplining employees, performance reviews, and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Manage accounting resources with regular reviews to motivate staff and support training to develop skills.
- Conduct a weekly team meeting with your staff to ensure a cohesive work environment. Conduct 1-to-1 with each of your staff as needed to motivate, mentor, and direct completion of their projects.
- Monitor and ensure compliance with emerging relevant telecommunications and tax legislation to comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements & tax filings.
- Develop and maintain collaborative and productive relationships with Allied department heads, customers, vendors, and banking partners.
- Working very closely with Billing Manager to develop revenue reporting and assurance processes, improve accounts receivable and collections procedures.
- ‘Roll up your sleeves’ and do what it takes when the situation merits it.
- Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of operations.
- Create a documented system of accounting policies and procedures.
- Leverage technology to increase efficiencies and accuracy in the accounting dept.
- Attend executive meetings and leadership meetings; implement revisions to policies and procedures as discovered through these meetings.
General Accounting and Accounting Operations:
- Manage day-to-day accounting operations including Purchasing, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and General ledger
- Establish and maintain a monthly closing routine with recurring standard entries and complete documentation that insures accurate, timely reporting, with a complete audit trail, for all the enterprises.
- Record adjusting journal entries and prepare reconciliations addressing non-routine circumstances as they occur.
- Prepare monthly work papers to maintain the general ledger in order and in balance.
- Reconcile the balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis.
- Provide financial information to lenders and potential lenders as requested or required to satisfy corporate financing reporting commitments.
- Monitor cash flow and ensure proper cash levels; establish and maintain banking relationships.
- Responsible for federal, state and local tax filings.
- Satisfy external certified audit requirements in a timely manner. This is to include compilation and review of all reports and schedules, including audited statement notes.
- Work with auditors on the annual audit for several entities and preparation of related tax returns.
Budgeting and Forecasting:
- Manage the production of the annual budget and forecasts.
- Gain thorough understanding of Allied’s revenue and cost drivers required to develop accurate forecasts and projections.
- Report on Actual vs. Budget, Actual vs. Forecast, and Forecast vs. Budget on monthly basis.
- Calculate variances from the budget and forecast and report significant issues to management.
- Develop 12 month rolling cash flow forecast model.
Reporting and Financial Analysis:
- Prepare month, quarterly financial reporting and prepare executive management reporting package.
- Prepare Key Performance Indicator reports monthly.
- Prepare 499Q and 499A USAC reporting and FCC, State, and Local CLEC Regulatory compliance reporting.
- Monitor and Ensure the completion of the Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and Payroll required reporting.
- Respond to internal and external requests for special and/or ad hoc financial reports.
- Issue timely and complete financial statements on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Prepare analysis such as customer profitability, product profitability, and customer acquisition cost analysis.
Required Skills and Experience:
- This is an extraordinary opportunity for a mature leader with seven to ten years of accounting and finance experience.
- Solid experience with financial reporting, budget development and analysis, and gathering, evaluating, presenting and reporting financial information to executive teams and external stakeholders.
- Minimum of a BA; CPA and/or MBA preferred.
Other qualifications include:
- Keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting.
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, investors, and bankers.
$85K - $125K + Benefits
Indeed - 5 months ago