POSITION SUMMARY AND SCOPE: As a reflection of the mission and vision of the Naperville Heritage Society and Naper Settlement, the President & CEO will work with the Naperville Heritage Society Board of Directors and the Naper Settlement Museum Board to provide visionary and strategic leadership. The CEO will serve as a steward for future success and active community partnerships that advance the museum as an integral contributor to a broad range of community interests. These interests are diverse, educationally engaging, family-oriented, business friendly and collaborative, both locally and in the wider community of state and national interests.
The scope of the position includes providing direction and leadership in strategic planning, community engagement and partnerships, capital development and fundraising. The CEO is responsible for the direct supervision of three vice presidents: Institutional Advancement, Museum Services and Organizational Resources. The position consists of three major areas of responsibility, noted below:
In collaboration with the NHS Board, the CEO assumes responsibility for developing and implementing the organization’s strategic plan, which is representative of the mission and the shared vision.
- Identifies and implements plans for the growth of the organization that are collaborative and foster partnership opportunities.
- Establishes and maintains a strong relationship with both governing boards.
- Mentors and leads staff in maximizing their performance in executing operational aspects of Naper Settlement.
- Leads by example and demonstrates behaviors of collaboration, trust, credibility and implementation of best practices.
The CEO demonstrates clear abilities to expand and increase the organization’s donor base, as measured by increased attendance and financial commitments to the organization.
- Brings prominence - locally, regionally and nationally - to Naper Settlement as the city’s premiere attraction.
- Is the “public face” of the organization and actively promotes the NHS and NS mission.
- Attracts, cultivates and stewards donor relationships.
- Is collegial, assertive and creative in connecting with and cultivating the City of Naperville as its major partner.
- Works with the Board and VP of Institutional Advancement to measurably increase financial commitments to the organization.
- Is knowledgeable of and has a proven track record in accessing alternative funding sources to support the museum.
- Exhibits a charismatic personality and connects with a diverse audience of stakeholders.
- Insures maintenance of the national standards for museum governance and operations as established by the American Alliance of Museums.
- Provides financial oversight of a multi-million dollar budget.
- Supervises and provides continuous growth opportunities for the vice presidents and staff team using models of best practice.
- Is a dynamic motivator.
- Models the power of collaboration and partnerships with schools, businesses and the community.
- Advanced degree, preferably in business, nonprofit administration, or museum administration.
- Proven fundraising and leadership experience in a relevant nonprofit, public agency or other organization.
- Successful experiences in developing partnerships and fostering collegial relationships with diverse interests.
- An understanding of the complexities in working with a governmental organization and experience in working with governmental organizations.
OTHER CONSIDERATIONS: The NHS board seeks to hire a President/CEO who desires a long term commitment, resulting in the executive being rooted in the community as a citizen and leader. Strong interpersonal skills, emotional intelligence and dynamic collegial approaches are necessary to maximize growth of the organization. The ability to handle the stresses associated with managing a complex organization, as well as promote creative problem solving, are necessary to further cultivate the strengths of the organization. Additionally, strong communication skills and experience in collaborative partnering with a diverse audience are essential ingredients to move Naper Settlement to the next level and stage the organization for future success.
Send resume to Vice President of Organizational Resources, Naper Settlement, 523 S. Webster Street, Naperville, IL 60540-6217.
No phone calls please.