Stewart’s Caring Place: Cancer Wellness Center provides support services and programs, free-of-charge, to individuals and families touched by cancer in Summit, Medina, Portage, Stark and Wayne counties. Services include counseling, support groups, exercise classes, children’s programs, a wig room, a resource library, massage therapy, nutrition and attorney consultations, and so much more. Services are not limited to the person diagnosed with cancer, but are available for friends and family members of that individual. Stewart’s recognizes that a cancer diagnosis affects the entire family and support system.
Develop, coordinate, and implement the Children’s Digital Art Program for children and adolescents touched by cancer at Stewart’s Caring Place: Cancer Wellness Center. This position is expected to require only five hours of work per month for 12 months.
PRN, Grant-funded, 12-month duration
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Duties/essential functions may include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Design a curriculum for children and adolescents that implements digital art as a medium for coping with anxiety, sadness, frustration, stress, depression, and other similar feelings
- Provide group instruction that teaches students how to use digital resources as artistic tools
- Provide individual instruction as needed
- Deliver resources and instruction using language and materials that are age-appropriate for children ages 5-17
- Teach children over the range of ages 5-17 how to use age-appropriate internet resources. Children will be divided into age-specific groups for instruction.
- Provide tours of the agency to children and families as appropriate
- Collaborate with the Child Life Specialist at Stewart’s Caring Place to determine high impact solutions for child participants.
- Bachelor of Science/Art degree in Art Therapy OR
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Early Childhood Education OR
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Child Development OR related field
- Two (2) years of experience facilitating children’s programming
- Ability to:
o Use computers, tablets, and smart boards to deliver therapeutic art programs to children and adolescents
o Exercise sound judgment and timely problem resolution
o Attend to details and provide timely and accurate follow-up
o Demonstrate written, verbal and interpersonal communications.
- Master of Science/Art degree in Art Therapy
- CPR Certification
- Experience/familiarity with psychosocial oncology issues
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Stewart’s Caring Place: Cancer Wellness Center is committed to the creation and nurturing of a diverse community of individuals through inclusive excellence. Diversity involves recognizing the value of differences and the inclusion of all members of the community including those that experience discrimination or under representation.
2955 West Market Street, Suite R Akron, OH 44333
Apply online or send cover letter and resume to Becki Brown, Program Coordinator, at the above address.
Open until filled
The intent of this description is to illustrate the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and should not be interpreted to describe all the specific duties and responsibilities that may be required in any particular position. Directly related experience/education beyond the minimum stated may be substituted where appropriate at the discretion of the appointing authority. Stewart’s Caring Place: Cancer Wellness Center reserves the right to revise or change job duties, job hours, and responsibilities.
SUPERVISOR: Program Coordinator