You may have heard GSA called 'the government's landlord', but GSA is about more than just buildings...We're a vehicle management and acquisition service...a real estate manager...an IT solutions provider...a global supply chain manager...and more! GSA provides innovative solutions for Federal agencies that include products, services, workspace, and expertise to build a more high-performing, efficient, sustainable, and transparent government for the American people. And, since our jobs are as diverse as the services we provide, GSA is a great place to start, build, and expand your career.
At this time we are only filling one vacancy; however, additional vacancies may be filled as needed.
GSA has been repeatedly named by the Partnership for Public Service as one of the 'Best Places to Work in the Federal Government'.
As a Facility Operations Specialist you will apply facility operations principles and practices in the review and analysis of building operations, maintenance, and services issues and problems. This position is located in the Public Buildings Service, Service Centers Division, St. Louis West Field Office (6PSW), 4300 Goodfellow Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63120. GSA offers its employees a wide range of benefits including:
This vacancy is also being announced as Vacancy Number 1306017LTMP under Merit Promotion regulations. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under Merit Promotion Procedures. Note: You must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered under both procedures.
- Federal health insurance plans (choose from a wide range of plans)
- Life insurance coverage with several options to choose from
- Leave policies to help you take care of your personal, recreational, and health care needs
- Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401(k) plan)
- Flexible work schedules and telework
- Transit and child care subsidies
- Training and development
- -Applicants must be U.S. Citizens or nationals
- Apply online (See How to Apply section.)
As a Facility Operations Specialist in the Public Buildings Service, St. Louis West Field Office, you will manage building operations programs and represent GSA in fostering and maintaining cooperative tenant relationships. Some of your primary responsibilities will include:
- Resolving building services problems related to HVAC, plumbing, electrical systems, repairs, alterations, and other contracted services.
- Explaining, promoting, and implementing GSA building management policies, procedures and methods relating to building services, performance measures, and pricing concepts.
- Identifying potential improvements and efficiencies and implementing approved changes.
The GS-11 salary range starts at $57,408 per year, if you meet the following qualifications. You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement. To qualify for the GS-11 level, you must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 level in the Federal service. Specialized experience is experience in the management of buildings or large complexes, including the development of maintenance programs for buildings, the inspection of plans to assure inclusion of necessary facilities, and the inspection of projects at completion. Such experience must have equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills and abilities to analyze and assess the efficiency and effectiveness of a variety of building operations and programs.
OR Completed 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education or PH.D. or equivalent doctoral degree.
OR Have a combination of graduate level education and appropriate experience that together meet the qualification requirements of this position.
If selected, you must meet the following conditions:
- Serve a one year probationary period (unless you have previously satisfied this requirement).
- Be able to make a direct deposit of your salary check to a financial organization.
- Males born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service.
- Complete a "Declaration of Federal Employment" (OF-306) to determine suitability for Federal employment.
- Undergo a background security investigation and receive a favorable adjudication.
- If you are not a current GSA employee, you must complete the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 to determine identity and employment (work status) eligibility. GSA will verify the information through the DHS e-Verify automated system. Any identified discrepancies must be resolved as a condition of continued employment.
- This work requires some exposure to outdoor environment during incement weather.
- Occasional travel is required to Federal and leased buildings managed by the field office in order to conduct on-site building services and contract inspections and to resolve tenant problems. Incumbent is required to wear appropriate safety equipment associated with the task performed.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
The Category Rating procedure is being used to rate candidates. If you are found qualified for the position, your responses to the self assessment vacancy questions will be used to place you in one of the following categories: Qualified, Well Qualified, Best Qualified. Your responses to the vacancy questions must be supported by your resume or the Human Resources Specialist may adjust your responses lower. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veterans' preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans. Appropriate documentation must be received to adjudicate veterans' preference.
You will be evaluated on the vacancy related questions that were designed to assess your overall possession of the following competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities:
1. Knowledge of the technical operation of HVAC, mechanical, electrical, plumbing systems, Computer Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS) and Energy Management Systems (EMS) and sustainable practices.
2. Knowledge of the standard principles and techniques for cleaning, grounds maintenance, pest control, window washing and other services requiring primarily visual inspection to determine accomplishment of work.
3. Ability to communicate orally.
4. Ability to communicate in writing.
5. Basic knowledge of government contracting processes necessary to assist in the development of specifications and the administration of contracts.
A variety of assessments/assessment tools may be used to evaluate candidates for specific vacancies covered by this announcement. Candidates will be notified when further assessments are implemented and provided with instructions on how to access and complete the assessment(s). Be sure to APPLY EARLY as most assessments must be completed fully and submitted before the announcement closing.
If you are an Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan eligible or a GSA Career Transition Assistance eligible, you must be considered well qualified (minimum score of 85) to receive priority. ICTAP/CTAP
To preview questions please click here .
GSA offers a comprehensive benefits package. To explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees, see Benefits .
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: This position is not covered by a bargaining unit.
Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses are not authorized for this position. Any travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the responsibility of the successful applicant.
Additional vacancies may be filled from this announcement as needed. This vacancy announcement does not preclude filling this position by other means. Management also has the right not to fill the position.