The primary responsibility of this position is to support the attorneys and legal professionals in using litigation support technologies and best practices to deliver the highest quality client services. Direct and assist on larger projects, this position will be responsible for the implementation of project management methodologies and providing senior level consultative services internally at Reed Smith. Creating and fostering relationships with lawyers and the firm’s clients is critical.
Essential Job Functions
- Consult with the firm’s lawyers and clients on best practices for the full EDRM lifecycle.
- Support attorneys and legal personnel in the use of litigation support tools for their preparation of cases and for trial.
- Act as a mentor for Analysts in the group, when needed.
- Define, on a continuing basis, the litigation support function to ensure the proper internal, versus external, litigation support services are being supported.
- Create and support document databases/indexes, transcripts, and images in Relativity, Concordance, Equivio LiveNote, CaseMap, TimeMap, Microsoft Access, and like litigation support applications.
- Coordinate the project set up, scanning, coding, and OCRing of documents with outside vendors.
- Assist attorneys in preparing to use courtroom presentation tools (e.g., Trial Director). At times, the setup and operation of these tools in the courtroom will be necessary.
- Stay current on litigation support and courtroom presentation tools and technologies.
- Certified in one of the primary litigation support databases (e.g., Concordance, Relativity).
- Serve as the point person in resolving software/hardware issues relating to the supported litigation support tools.
- Provide training in classroom settings, with litigation teams and one on one, in the use of litigation support tools.
- Provide status reports of each case to attorneys.
- Charge all billable time to appropriate client matters. A minimum of 1500 billable hours are required per year.
- Provide feedback and assistance in preparing annual performance appraisals for the Litigation Support Analysts.
- Project Management (Large Projects)
- Lead a project team on an as needed basis, which may include: a Litigation Support Analyst, a Database Analyst or a Project Assistant.
- Run project design meetings for litigation teams consisting of attorneys, paralegals, clients and vendors. Advise legal teams on workflow, process database design, paper and e-discovery collection and review protocols.
- Develop recommendations, cost estimates, budgets, procedures, vendor recommendations and specifications for scanning, coding or e-discovery processing from discovery through trial.
- Prepare required project documentation to include database design specifications, vendor processing and delivery specifications and reporting.
- Write Requests for Proposals (RFPs) to vendors analyze resulting vendor proposals and make processing recommendations to the case teams.
- Manage vendors to assure that high quality work product deliverables and services are provided within the negotiated schedules and budgets.
- Oversee, coordinate and track project progress and workflow.
- Define and manage custom solutions for specialized project needs.
- Proactively apply quality management techniques to ensure client satisfaction.
- Maintain project files and documentation.
- Review data from vendors and data load files for accuracy.
- Review and approve vendor invoices.
College degree in relevant field of study or system-related technical certification required.
Five plus years of experience managing complex, technically demanding projects, either for a law firm or for a professional services company. Experience, from an administrative perspective, with one or more of the following applications: Relativity, Concordance, LiveNote, Summation, Real Legal Binder, Microsoft Access, FolioViews, Adobe Acrobat and Doculex (or other similar viewer), Trial Director, Sanction, JFS Litigators Notebook. Experience with courtroom presentation tools. One to two years of experience as a litigation paralegal preferred.
Strong oral and written communications skills, excellent teamwork and mentoring abilities. Ability to work effectively with others under short deadlines in high pressure situations. Ability to exercise independent judgment within broad parameters as determined by the attorneys managing the cases. Ability to coordinate resources to meet competing demands. Ability to interact with vendors. Ability to act and work independently, is able to handle interruptions, and manage multiple tasks and deadlines. Ability to understand and follow specific and detailed instructions. Must display a professional manner with attorneys, paralegals and other staff members. Must be prompt and maintain good attendance. Must be able to work with minimal supervision. Working knowledge of personal computers and the Microsoft Office suite. Familiarity with Citrix and network operating systems a plus.
Equipment to be Used:
General office equipment such as telephone, calculator, copiers, etc. Must be able to operate desktop personal computers and laptops; printers, scanners, bar code readers, and CD-RWs; trial presentation equipment including projectors and audio equipment.
Typical Physical Demands:
Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate standard office machines such as computers, calculators, telephones and other office equipment.
Typical Mental Demands:
Able to deal with stress associated with fast-paced work environment. Multiple priorities/tasks. Make judgment decisions and adapt to changing work situations with minimal supervision. Grasp and apply new ideas. Communicate with various personalities at all levels.
Works in a typical office setting. Occasional travel for one or more days at a time. Carry a blackberry at all times, on and off hours. Frequently called upon to work in excess of 40 hours per week, which may include occasional evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Submit resume and salary requirement to:
Human Resources Manager
Reed Smith LLP
20 Stanwix Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
~ no phone calls please ~
Reed Smith - 11 months ago