AbbVie (NYSE: ABBV) is a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company formed in 2013 following separation from Abbott. AbbVie combines the focus and passion of a leading-edge biotech with the expertise and capabilities of a long-established pharmaceutical leader to develop and market advanced therapies that address some of the world’s most complex and serious diseases. In 2013, AbbVie will employ approximately 28,000 people worldwide and markets medicines in more than 170 countries.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTION:
The Clinical Science Manager (CSM) is a field based scientific expert that strategically supports the research and business objectives of a designated therapeutic area across the product life cycle. CSMs are the primary communicators of AbbVie science within a specific geography with healthcare professionals, and CSM's are viewed as a peer scientific experts in a designated therapeutic area. They combine strong business acumen, market awareness, as well as clinical expertise, and serve as a conduit of information to a cross functional customer base internally in PPG. Based on therapeutic needs and product life cycles, teams will focus on certain responsibilities to a greater or lesser degree (e.g. IIS management).
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures.
Clinical trial support
External Expert cultivation
- Supports research initiatives across development at the request of GPRD to include but not limited to, site evaluation and identification, recruitment, investigator meetings, opinion leader identification, and IIS study management
, AL, FL)
- Identifies, gains access to, and develops professional relationships with targeted External Experts (EEs) in therapeutic areas of commercial and research interests within assigned geography (TX, LA, MS, OK, AR, TN
- Provides education relative to disease state and AbbVie products across the product lifecycle to healthcare providers and researchers
- Develops and communicates a professional growth plan
- Continually educates self on global market issues / trends and product knowledge as it pertains to specific business responsibilities in key therapeutic areas.
- Takes responsibility for and actively manages professional development
- Works with internal customers to develop and execute a territory plan designed to support and meet shared business objectives
- Inputs and maintains internal database as it relates to activities in their geography
- Marketplace preparation in new therapeutic areas of interest, which includes creating awareness and relationships for AbbVie in the Medical community
POSITION ACCOUNTABILITY / SCOPE:
- Serves as a scientific resource to commercial partners as appropriate to support activities such as Medical Congress staffing, Advisory Boards, and training initiatives
- Serves as a scientific resource to commercial colleagues to provide support for answering unsolicited Medical questions, adverse event reporting, and other clinically related Medical information issues
The CSM is accountable for providing and supporting clinical information needs within an assigned geography and supporting CSM team and corporate needs by meeting targeted goals relevant to specific EEs; and supporting local clinical and commercial business partners. They provide support for clinical initiatives, execute a territory business plan and team tactical plan supporting clinical and commercial partner needs, meet assigned project deadlines and achieve annual impact goals.
Advanced degree required (i.e., Pharm D, MD/DO, PhD) in a relevant scientific discipline. Doctorate strongly preferred in a health science or clinical discipline. Significant industry experience in relevant therapeutic area may be accepted in lieu of education requirements.
Minimum Experience Training / Required:
The CSM must possess advanced problem solving and analytic skills to be able to identify, and translate specific territory and corporate needs, into an action that will achieve objectives.
Minimum of 3 years of clinical, scientific/research, or industry related experience in Hematology or Oncology or equivalent required. Previous pharmaceutical industry experience within Hematology / Oncology discipline preferred.
Significant Work Activities and Conditions
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods ( more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Driving a personal auto or company car or truck, or a powered piece of material handling equipment
Yes, 50 % of the Time
AbbVie - 20 months ago